User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #12706
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 453
European switchgear?

I was wondering if there was a different left switchgear available on the European Transalps. Or various countries within EU as I know that Kawasaki offered different switches for the KLR and ZRX according to individual countries' regulations. Click to pass trigger-buttons, headlight kill, etc as some things I've seen on KLR and ZRX ones. Here is an example of the KLR one:
http://www.tpi4x4.com/KLR650/EuropeanLightswitch.html

Getting any Europe only parts here is a huge PITA, but if there are other parts available it's always good to know I guess. I like the passing trigger on a lot of those and I can see a use for blacking out the lights at times.
Just wondering.............
Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #12707
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,831
I had it on my '91 Transalp, kind of cool but I had to just remember to turn the headlight switch on sometimes ( N.C. state law).

It also had a 'parking" light switch feature which was inside the headlamp.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #12708
quint7
I don't need a title

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I had it on my '91 Transalp, kind of cool but I had to just remember to turn the headlight switch on sometimes ( N.C. state law).

There ya go. I should've expected you to have had one at some point. LOL Thanks Mark!
Old 01-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #12709
Motylek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Throttle Position sesor

Hey guy
Im currently in South America and my mate bought my 05 transalp off me.
While we where cleaning the carbs before I left he broke the TPS .... we tried to glue it back together but got the spot wrong and it was idling way to hi so we gave up on that idea.
When I unplugged it seemed to run fine but did not have enough time to test properly.
This part is impossible to get in Argentina :(

So I have a question and a request : dose any one know what will happen if he runs it with the TPS unplugged ??

And would anyone have one lying around form a mod or know a wreaking yard where i could get one form??

Thanks guys Maciek
Motylek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #12710
Motylek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motylek View Post
Hey guy
Im currently in South America and my mate bought my 05 transalp off me.
While we where cleaning the carbs before I left he broke the TPS .... we tried to glue it back together but got the spot wrong and it was idling way to hi so we gave up on that idea.
When I unplugged it seemed to run fine but did not have enough time to test properly.
This part is impossible to get in Argentina :(

So I have a question and a request : dose any one know what will happen if he runs it with the TPS unplugged ??

And would anyone have one lying around form a mod or know a wreaking yard where i could get one form??

Thanks guys Maciek
BTW Happy New Year
Motylek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #12711
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:

Note: Full time headlight on is a Federal regulation plus some states do an add on law.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #12712
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Big fan.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualdogdave View Post
Here we have an older project. (circa 1996)

With the 700cc NT Hawk engine it ran well.

17" VFR Wheels and Sport Rubber

Built before the SV 650 and VTR

I have been a DualdogDave fan for years............
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #12713
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,831
Well I guess that settles the headlight issue.

When ever I pass thru South Carolina and see bikers on the highway with no helmet I am reminded they don't have to wear one unless they are under 21, still looks strange though.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #12714
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
no......

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex300 View Post
I'm good at sharing ... ...................Thanks Russ I'm assuming a CBR600 donor?

"Hey Trex, I did a little research and found that the early 90's CBR had the same fork diameter as the TA ( 41mm ) so the front end is a straight swap. Forks wheels brakes speedo drive, everything including the front fender is the same paint code as the 90 TA. They just slip right in, then plumb in the brakes, even uses the TA master cyl. , then use a speedo cable from a 91 st1100 and the speedo is correct.
On the rear I had to bore the chain adjusters on the TA swingarm for the CBR axle, fab a axle spacer and a guide block for the disc carrier, for the rear master cyl. I fabbed a bracket that fit under the pass peg mount used the CBR rear master cyl had to offset the master cyl brake and pedal connection to use the TA brake pedal.
If you attempt this conversion let me know and I will shoot you some closeup pics.....
It really handles good, feels a little twitchy in the bars because of the wide handlebars, but it is a really fun ride.
Russ "
No, actually was a wrecker..............
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #12715
trex300
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwatcher View Post
No, actually was a wrecker..............
Didn't they make a CBR 929 back then too? Also made a CBR600RR around that time didn't they?

Rick
trex300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #12716
ravelv
from Baltic side of river

Oddometer: 444
Looks exactly same as on my in Germany new sold 1994 XL600VR model.

Quote:

ravelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #12717
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
TA handlebars

Anybody happen to have some used TA handlebars they're looking to get rid of?

I'm not looking for anything too nice, but unbent. And just my luck, I happened to have missed mas335's flea market extravaganza by mere days...

csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #12718
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post

I'm not looking for anything too nice, but unbent. And just my luck, I happened to have missed mas335's flea market extravaganza by mere days...

Sandplow on here every once and while has a stock TA handle bar send him a PM

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #12719
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post

I have a complete set of front forks trees and bars, If you're not in a big hurry I'll check them when I get home, make sure they are straight.
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #12720
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
New to Transalps; would like a couple of recommendations

Hi! I just bought one of these big bitches this past November and have had little time to enjoy it but am thoroughly impressed! I would like to get some useful accessories for it and thought this ridiculous thread of 800 pages would be the best place to ask about them.
Here's a quick bit of background:I am mostly into old Hondas, I have a couple of CB500/550 projects in the works. I live in the country and was thinking about getting something like a DR350SE as a sort of backup/extra/backroad bike. That way if I am still not done rebuilding by riding season I'd have something to ride that would be different in purpose than what I already have. I learned on an old DR125 so I have a particular fondness for Suzuki dual sports. Anyway, my craigslist browsing revealed this old Beast:

It was advertised as a 1989 XL600V so I knew that the person selling it didn't really have a grasp on what it was. It seemed like a good deal so I went and checked it out and was smitten with it. On the face of it the Transalp is so different from what I would have pictured myself owning (my main bike is a 1971 Honda CB500). It's watercooled, faired, from the 80s, has all these extra hoses and wires, is tall and somewhat heavy, etc. But it's really a neat bike and I think it will serve many purposes and be lots of fun!
I've put around 100 miles on it so far (hey it's been cold around here!) and it seems like a great bike. It runs like a top, has a great sounding Supertrapp muffler, and is fun to ride. It's amazing on the dirt roads (duh) but also really great on pavement and has plenty of power. The idiotic blackout job unfortunately included the rear turn signals. I don't think the guy who owned it before me ever had a state inspection I think he just registered it and drove it! You can see in the second picture how somebody removed the rear rack and cut the goddamn back fender mostly off.
First order of business will be to make a nice plate mount, replace the turn signal lenses and give the bike a tuneup. I've also got a little fairing repairing to do. A couple of the threaded inserts in the windshield part are broken and there are a few broken tabs here and there. I will do a proper JBWeld and fiberglass bondo job where necessary. I do believe I'll leave the bodywork black, though. I like the idea of not worrying about scratches from riding in the woods or tipping over!

Anyway, my goal is to outfit this bike with the necessary accessories for local (for now) adventure tours. That means I would like crash bars, a bash guard, a Givi windscreen, Corbin seat and perhaps most importantly, some luggage.
Here are my questions:

-The only crash bars I can find are the Givi ones listed on the Happy Trails website. Happy Trails claims you need "slight modification" to fit the 89-90 model. Does anybody know the deal here? Is it a big deal or not so much?

-I found a Motech bash guard. Are there other options I should look into? Is it worth having? I see that it basically replaces the plastic one that comes with the bike.

-LUGGAGE!! Searching forums hasn't been particularly helpful in this case because it seems some products are no longer available. Happy Trails has a few options using the SU side rack. Is there a current alternative I am not aware of? I like the looks of this rack and the various cases they offer with it, but I'd like to shop around. The aluminum cases are probably best but I am not crazy about spending that kind of money!

-Any feedback on the Corbin seat? The one on my bike is not in great condition and is somewhat uncomfortable. It kind of points me down into the gas tank.

That's about it for now. Realistically I won't be buying all this stuff too soon just because it will collectively cost a lot, but these are the things I would eventually like to have for the bike. Thanks for any advice. I know people have asked these kinds of questions many times but I believe the offerings on the market are changing and I want to make sure I am not missing anything.
Happy motoring
JBMorse is online now   Reply With Quote