Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #151
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,853
Beautiful bike. Might have to give that a look or test ride this summer. Enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poucher View Post

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #152
CaptainFresca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm View Post
The KTM is much like my old superhawk- 990cc v-twin, about 110hp, but it's lighter (423 pounds), top notch suspension, radial brembos, etc. Not only does it handle awesome and feel super light, but the suspension is PLUSH compared to my other bikes. It's great for nasty roads. It's a simple bike- but has the gadgets I like (clock and outside temp) and that's about it.
zimm, have you adjusted your suspension from the standard settings?
CaptainFresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #153
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden View Post
Here is a ride on my SMT. I LOVE this bike.

My first video with my new Go Pro. (first time editing too )

Nice video! I like the way your film shows the friskiness of the engine combined with the supple suspension. I can only dream

I won't be in the market for a good 2-3 years yet, but the Tiger XC and the SMT are the ones I aspire to.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #154
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poucher View Post

A hardly used 2011 ABS example with 1,700 miles on it, saved a grand over a new one, 8,600 it cost me, still with almost 2 yrs warranty on it, always fancied a white one!
Congrats!

I do like the colour-matched handguards, I guess I am that shallow
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #155
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
so where can I see one irl?

Hi all.

I stopped lurking and joined adv just for this thread:) I'm pretty sure I really want an SMT (w/ abs, so 2011 or later), but I haven't been able to find one in person, and I'm hoping you can help.

I can't find any dealers anywhere near me that have one. Actually, after calling around a little, I haven't found any dealers on the east coast with an SMT, or that know when they will have one, period. Haven't had any luck finding a private sale used SMT nearby either. I live near Greensboro, NC. Any help finding a dealer with an SMT or a bike I can at least sit on anywhere in NC or VA would be great. Even info on dealers that have or will have an SMT anywhere on the east coast would be helpful.

If I decide the bike fits, I'm willing to go further away to get one, maybe even do a fly and ride. I just don't want to put that much effort in until I at least see one in person. Right now, I'm skeptical the SMT actually exists, and that the internet isn't just lying to me about this fantastic bike:). If you know of an SMT somewhere in the southeast US, please let me know!

Also, are they importing this thing for 2012 or not?

thanks!

(also, noob here, so sorry if this should be posted elsewhere (like a regional forum?).
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #156
zimm
KTM

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFresca View Post
zimm, have you adjusted your suspension from the standard settings?
Nope- standard is just fine for me
zimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #157
zimm
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am.E View Post
Hi all.

I stopped lurking and joined adv just for this thread:) I'm pretty sure I really want an SMT (w/ abs, so 2011 or later), but I haven't been able to find one in person, and I'm hoping you can help.

I can't find any dealers anywhere near me that have one. Actually, after calling around a little, I haven't found any dealers on the east coast with an SMT, or that know when they will have one, period. Haven't had any luck finding a private sale used SMT nearby either. I live near Greensboro, NC. Any help finding a dealer with an SMT or a bike I can at least sit on anywhere in NC or VA would be great. Even info on dealers that have or will have an SMT anywhere on the east coast would be helpful.

If I decide the bike fits, I'm willing to go further away to get one, maybe even do a fly and ride. I just don't want to put that much effort in until I at least see one in person. Right now, I'm skeptical the SMT actually exists, and that the internet isn't just lying to me about this fantastic bike:). If you know of an SMT somewhere in the southeast US, please let me know!

Also, are they importing this thing for 2012 or not?

thanks!

(also, noob here, so sorry if this should be posted elsewhere (like a regional forum?).
No 2012 in the US as far I've seen on the internet. Search craigslist washington d.c.- dealer in woodbridge was a new 2010 for $10,499.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #158
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Thanks Zimm. I search cycletrader and craigslist every now and then, but I haven't turned up anything. I also did another round of calling dealers in VA and NC today. No one has them,and most stated they don't have any on order, and won't be getting them. One dealer wants to order one, but doesn't move enough volume to meet the minimums from KTM, so he may not be able to get one.

Its too bad this bike isn't doing better. Looks like I missed the boat, at least for now. I didn't even know this bike existed until a few months ago, and by then it was too late. What little inventory was around is gone.

The dealer in Woodbridge still has a 2010, but it's sold, and leaving saturday. Cycle trader claims to have a 2012 for sale from a dealer in NY, but I called, and its a lie. They don't have one.

It seems that those that own this bike love them, and everyone else has never heard of it:)

The request stands: if you know of an SMT I can sit on, send me a message.
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #159
zimm
KTM

Try a national search engine for craigslist like "craigspal" and maybe you'll find a dealer out west who has one.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #160
dougpaw57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
A 2010 model, new, just showed up on eBay from RIDERSVILLE CYCLE - BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-2...item23184f45af

dougpaw57 screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 04:06 PM Reason: Fixed Link
dougpaw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #161
Multiducrider
SC Adv rider

Oddometer: 51
New SMT

I just picked up my New 990 smt yesterday and had to take it out for quick 100 mile trip today! I have had 2 Multis, an 1150 bwm adventure, Duc ST2 and just sold a real nice F800gs. the SMT has the best of each one of those. It handles like the Multi with ohlins. It's as comfortable as the 1150gs Adv and seems light and easy to flick around like the F800. Now I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can head up to the NC mountains
Attached Images

Multiducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #162
zimm
KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiducrider View Post
I just picked up my New 990 smt yesterday and had to take it out for quick 100 mile trip today! I have had 2 Multis, an 1150 bwm adventure, Duc ST2 and just sold a real nice F800gs. the SMT has the best of each one of those. It handles like the Multi with ohlins. It's as comfortable as the 1150gs Adv and seems light and easy to flick around like the F800. Now I can't wait for the weather to get warmer so I can head up to the NC mountains
Sweet. Hope that's not your house....
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #163
dougpaw57
Adventurer

Quote:
It's the only way he could afford all those different high-end motorcycles.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #164
Multiducrider
SC Adv rider

Oddometer: 51
Who needs a nice house when you like to ride and be outside! But you should check out my Shed in back with the bikes!
Multiducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #165
dougpaw57
Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiducrider View Post
Who needs a nice house when you like to ride and be outside! But you should check out my Shed in back with the bikes!
Hey, sounds great and I always love to see a shed full of bikes.