Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #10651
Africa_Twin
Africa Twiner

Oddometer: 363
A couple of years ago, I filmed 2 videos about this problem... I hadn't the panniers fitted at the time but I suppose you can lean your body against the left pannier... also, grab the steering handle with your left hand, turn it fully to the left and pull there too, up and backwards...

Never mind my ugly face, funny voice and dirty feet... check these videos...

Africa_Twin screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 07:16 AM Reason: Correct video embbeding
Africa_Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #10652
MolloZ-81
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi together,

check this out!

http://www.africatwin.de/phpbb_pic_s...04_orig_hs.SWF

or

http://www.africatwin.de/phpbb_x/vie...186&highlight= (posting 187452 and 187486 and click the images)

M
MolloZ-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #10653
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Hello to all and to limcheewang,

I don't know if this works on the African Twin. I'm a rather small guy and my Suzuki DR 750 Big is a big, heavy bike for me. Until I put a tank-crash-bar on it it was nearly impossible for me to lift it on it's center-stand. Every possible grabbing-point for my right hand was out of reach or had sharp edges that prevented a good, hard grip.
Now I can put my right foot on the loop of the stand (there's no lever on it) and press it down to the ground. I put my left hand on the crash-bar and my right hand on the left passenger's grip. Before, I turn the handle-bar to it's right-hand stop. Now I can pull the bike up at the tank-guard and just have to guide the back of it with my right hand. Main-force is on the left hand! I ignore the handle-bar's tendency to turn left when the bike starts rising. Having it turned to the right side just gives me space enough to bow towards the guard and start the operation. Otherwise my head would get in the bar's way (or is that the other way round )?

Sorry for loosing so many words on such a simple topic, but it's very important for small people ...

Kind regards to all of you and to limcheewang from Hobbit to Hobbit ... Bambi
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #10654
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
...I put my left hand on the crash-bar and my right hand on the left passenger's grip. ...
The standard Honda centre stand comes with a bracket that bolts on behind the passenger footrest. Unfortunately, this bracket is sometimes in the way of some pannier brackets and are removed. You really need it, or something to else to grip to get this right. Gripping the passenger footrest or the panic handles at the back (especially if you're short) won't do it

When my pannier frames are mounted, I grab hold of them. You can even mount a small handle on the pannier itself to give you assistance.

It is also a lot more difficult to do when the bike is loaded up and there is sag in teh rear suspension, as you basically have to lift the bike up enough to compenste for the sag and then over the apex of the stand. I.e. if your bike has a 100kg onit, you'll be lifting close to that before you can get it on the stand. When fully loaded, I find that it's easier if a use some momentum- e.g. half-lift, drop, 3/4 lift drop and over she goes...

But as with any manual handling- try and keep your back straight and use your knees. I find by pressing my backside against the pannier, using my left hand on the outside of the pannier (I have a bracket there, or just on the under side of the pannier itself) and lifting with my kness, its easy.

Honda stands are not the same as other (BMW's and some other manufactureres) stands that have a rounded lip and a foot-press to assist you.

Squily

Squily screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 02:40 PM Reason: spelling
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #10655
limcheewang
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Many thanks for all the advice. After rested a day, went back to the bike. Positioned myself properly, holding on to the left handle behind the seat, took a deep breath, with a swing and leaning to the right (against the pannier), I managed to mount the beast on its mainstand. I guess is a matter of finding the right technique that suit you... Thank you again.

limcheewang screwed with this post 01-11-2012 at 07:19 AM
limcheewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #10656
#philsmith
Desktop Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
New Toy!

Hi guys, great site!

Recently acquired this and thought I'd ask you all for your wisdom in what should be done to her? (Apart from get it dirty!)

Planning on trips into Europe as based in London and want to get your opinions on the best mods/bits.

Also suggestions on decals as this is minus most of them? Original or new design?
Attached Images

#philsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #10657
RiderMakis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Parts list, Haynes Manual, Honda workshop manual for download.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0mfa60 RD03
http://www.sendspace.com/file/cyfjjr RD04
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h798t8 RD07
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0qseqy RD07a
http://www.sendspace.com/file/g1ih0r HAYNES R. M.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/7r4dr0 HONDA W. M.

RiderMakis screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 04:44 AM
RiderMakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #10658
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,161
Wink

Thanks RiderMakis

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #10659
Fishnbait
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
No connection to this guy, but thought someone might be interested.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/2765848456.html
Fishnbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #10660
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,832
AZ Africa Twin

I live in Phoenix and have an Africa Twin RDO7. I would be happy to check this out if anyone wants me to.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #10661
diskow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderMakis View Post
Parts list, Haynes Manual, Honda workshop manual for download.
Big thanks
diskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #10662
Heno
Lover Of Perfection

Oddometer: 60
Post some PICS (links)!

Blah Blah Blah

SOME PICS!!!
Heno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #10663
NorthernStar
Work in Progress

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I live in Phoenix and have an Africa Twin RDO7. I would be happy to check this out if anyone wants me to.

Been looking for one of these for years and never found one stateside - had to go to Asia to get one and had to leave it there since bringing it back to the US was to cumbersome - gives me a reason to leave Alaska in the winter and head out to the warm country to ride anyway.

Still looking and would be interested to know if this is what it is really being protrayed and if papers are in order.

Would love to hear a report from a rider with hands on experience with an AT of the same vintage.
Thanks,
Frank
Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #10664
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by #philsmith View Post
Hi guys, great site!

Recently acquired this and thought I'd ask you all for your wisdom in what should be done to her? (Apart from get it dirty!)

Planning on trips into Europe as based in London and want to get your opinions on the best mods/bits.

Also suggestions on decals as this is minus most of them? Original or new design?
Welcome to Advrider. Nice find. I prefer the stock OEM decal package myself over the zebra stripes . Check in over at xrv.org...lots of ideas over there.
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #10665
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
Would love to hear a report from a rider with hands on experience with an AT of the same vintage.
Thanks,
Frank
What do you need to know other than this is one of the classics built by Honda...well at least IMO. If i didn't already have one...and had the cash...well i would be all over that low miler. No one builds a simple robust m'cycle like that anymore. That same bike could be taken around the world tomorrow and still be fixed at the side of the road, that is when they do break...and with proper preventative maintenance they rarely do.
GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote