Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #241
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Good on ya GA, I still have my pin getting & too old to get it out but to be fair I don't have any issues unless I come off.

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #242
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,568
so, ummm, i wasnt gonna update this thread for a while... kinda felt like it has been floundering a bit lately... so was gonna leave it till i buggered off on a decent ride... but...

today was an interesting day....

lets backpedal a week to last wednesday... so yeah, i got a new 20012 F800GS... it was a week late, but all good, and a great deal!

it was nearly 2pm by time i left melbourne, but i just jumped on the bike and after 18 months off of one of the 'big bikes'... and it all just worked, felt right...

i'd worked out earlier that i'd aim for Port Fairy that night... there was a few ways to get there depending on what time a got away... i was 'late' so headed straight for Colac then down thru to gellibrand.... the twisties down to Gellibrand were great... and a nice return to the big bike.... not quite as tight as a lot of the Ocean Road... but nice to get my feel back...really enjoyed it....

a fuel stop at good ol' Gellibrand General Store:

then down to Lavers Hill and onto the Great Ocean Road...

and a great twisty ride thru to Port Fairy...

checked into the backpackers and then hit the pub for a fairly ordinary mixed grill and a few beers...was fairly buggered so got a longneck and headed back to the backpackers for some quality telly (family guy, simpsons) and a quiet beer then hit the sack...

next morning looked like a good day for ridin..

i needed to be in Mount Gambier by 10:30am to get my 'Teir 2 I.D inspection' so i could get registered... so it was a pretty no eventfull ride thru... but i did take a couple of smaller bitumen 'shortcuts'... and was tempted by a hell of a lot of dirt ones

refueled at Dartmoor...

needed a 'squirt'... but they were out of order....

so stopped a few km out of town for one...and a photo or 2...

made it to Mount Gambier in 'plenty of time' for my 'i.d inspection...

then around to the Rego office to hand over wads of cash to the gubbermint for rego and a number plate...

and since i now had a bmw, it was off to my favorite Mount Gambier bakery for a coffee and a feed...

walked back to the bike, and a dude with almost as good a number plate as me had parked next to me...

so then it was off home to let the 'farkling' begin....

number plate went on, that stupid lookin victorian rear mudguard came off, the old bashplate went on..

i like the shiney sandblasted stripe

i started to put on the Barkbusters, but soon discovered i was missing a bit from each side....they are now in the mail

i put on the sexy Leo Vince can (got it thru Renazco Racing in the USA.. (inmate on here 'Renazco'), locally they are $950 bucks and a 3 week wait... got one thru Renazco for $325 plus $70 postage (US $) in 7 days... (worked out with conversion etc to $414 Australian.... Wayne Gardner will have to pay his own rent this month )

hard wired the GPS and wacked in the rallymoto damper..

all good... just waiting on the bits for the barkbusters and also a luggage rack...

then the TCK's went on yesterday

so, back to the moral of the story...

today was Physio day again.... its about an hour drive each way... but my bus 's rear drive shaft is laying on the ground waiting for me to put in a new uni joint...and the one i got yesterday is a tad too big... so i needed to ride to Physio today...

since i have the knobbies on, and since i have another 2 months of physio, i figured i should leave early and start work on a dirt way of getting there ...

so i buggered off, took lots of dirt roads...

found some dead-ends...

and then found a kick-ass track, that pretty much disapeared...but i pushed on...

not sure why...perhaps its the bit of time muckin about on the little 250cc... but i feel a lot 'looser' on this 800 than the old one... dunno... but a lot more confident...

and this bike doesnt seem as sleepy as the last one... although she did find one comfy spot for a nap

but given the crap i was riding thru i figured that was fair enough...

then i hit some 'hard' lake edge.... that was pure stinky slippy clay underneath...

so after a lot or mud n scrub n rocks n other stuff, i thought i'd found the start of a track out (gps said i wasnt oo far from a town..) ... but it soon became obvious it was actually a drain (i came to a culvert over it.... .. no pics as it was too much fun carving up each side to avoid big mud patches on the flats.....

anyway i popped out and stopped in a little town fo a drink, a look at the mud and to work out just how late i was running for Physio...

so i gunned it up the bitumen to Physio.... then buggered off home 'in a straight line, unsupported' thru the pine forests etc.... bloddy good fun...pines, tracks, fire breaks, grass, old railways....the works....

not really surprised i didnt take any pics on the way home....too much fast fun...

so anyway....

as i said at the start of this post....this post wasnt going to 'be'.... but today i had tooo much fun.... so i knew that, even though last week, when i knew i was about to pick up a new bike,... i wasnt really that excited.... that i'd made the right decision to get back on the bike....

tonight i cant stop smiling....

all you good folk who offered words of wisdom and support over the last 18 months ( ) were right.... perhaps it is now in my blood...

i love it...

and cant wait to be 'Gone Again'...

thank you....

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #243
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,617
Good stuff GA, good to see you back on a BMW

Cheers Terry

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #244
27rich
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 362
Brilliant stuff, good to read that you are back out there with the 800 again.
1989 XTZ 750 super tenere SOLD
27rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #245
miepiechief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Yaaeh, I'm happy for ya.
miepiechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #246
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,591
Have you washed it yet, slacker?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #247
bonzodg
24/7 B-road hooner

Oddometer: 97
Bloody good writeup.
Many thanks for posting.
Full day's read during this shitty Yorkshire weather!
Rock on
Old 12-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #248
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
What a RR!! Im so glad you healed up OK and you're back in the saddle. I might suggest getting a Stebel horn @ 139db.... Its saved me a few times with wildlife approaching.

Stay safe!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #249
masterbrewer
TDMster

Oddometer: 2,576

Excellent news GA.

I bet you had to ride with your helmet open a lot of the time coz ya couldn't keep the big smile under the visor any longer.

Cheers all round.

masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #250
BTBW 01
BTBW 01

Oddometer: 56
Great RR.
Have a safe 2012.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #251
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Have you washed it yet, slacker?

'wash'.....?

wazat?

you always confuzzle me wif big words......

Old 01-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #252
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
How I missed this RR......I do not know?
Thanks for coming back with updates even thou some of them must have been painful!

Fantastic attitude, humour, photography (the bike/landscape parts anyways - your medical photography skills need some work thou) and perseverance!

Yes, I would agree that the bike and sense of exploration is in your blood! Kudos!

I have one question that you may not be able answer, but I thought I would ask anyways for your thoughts:

Looking back, did you ever try thinking through what actually caused the lower leg damage?

Yes, I know a spill happens in milli-seconds, but in all the time you spent in the hospital bed, did you ever care to try and figure it out?

The reason I ask (this seemingly stupid, irrelevant (and possibly insensitive question)) is that I have had several discussions with other riders about the pros and cons of indestructible aluminum panniers and lower leg/foot injuries always seem to be part of that discussion(??).

Any thoughts?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #253
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
We need more...

Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #254
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambi View Post
We need more...

hmmm... you might have to wait a week... kinda busy.... but heres a taster to hold you over

(will also get to OMS's questions tooo.............................................. .........)

Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #255
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post

I have one question that you may not be able answer, but I thought I would ask anyways for your thoughts:

Looking back, did you ever try thinking through what actually caused the lower leg damage?

Yes, I know a spill happens in milli-seconds, but in all the time you spent in the hospital bed, did you ever care to try and figure it out?

The reason I ask (this seemingly stupid, irrelevant (and possibly insensitive question)) is that I have had several discussions with other riders about the pros and cons of indestructible aluminum panniers and lower leg/foot injuries always seem to be part of that discussion(??).

Any thoughts?

its an interesting question....and one i'm kinda surprised no-one else has asked/mentioned (too polite i guess )

anyway, yes i've heard all the theories on hard panniers...and agree they have some merit (the theories)

as for what happened to me.... no, i dont really know.... i have no memory of events from seeing the 'roo airborn, to the track skidding past my face and a great rate of knots...

i couldnt even say for sure that i hit it square on...i wouldnt be surprised if it took me out mid bike...crashing into my left leg area...

how i broke my right leg...dunno... and no, i have not really thought about it.... i started to think about it a few times, but wasnt all that fussed to 're-live' it.... and didnt really see a lot of point....it wouldnt 'undo' anything.....

it is a possiblity the hard panniers had something to do with it, but given the bike ended up backwards, and on its left side, and ended up to the left of me.... my best guess is that i prob got hit by a cartwheeling bike...... you can see how a broken leg is kinda lucky in such circumstances... and why i dont think too much about it...

ive got me some new hard panniers

but i'll prob get some soft ones too...and alternate depending on where i'm going....