User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Update

OK the case is split but the crank is still in place of the right side case as I do not have a crank pinion gear puller or know of one in my area. Couple questions:
Any tips to removing the crank with the pinion gear installed without ruining the case? I could possible ruin the crank pinion gear and weld on a puller system but I hate to make the situation worse.
Anyone have a good used or rebuilt crankshaft laying about or know who would have one?
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #17
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,341
The normal method is to smash it out with a hammer and then turn the crank back into shape on a lathe.

However I have a puller....
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
The normal method is to smash it out with a hammer and then turn the crank back into shape on a lathe.

However I have a puller....
I wasn't about to go to work on the crank (although its already trashed), I thought the crank bearing would pop out of the case with the crank? Then I could press off the pinion gear but I don't want to damage anything.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
The crank usually pulls out of the bearing, and it takes some heat to remove the bearing. I don't think the pinion will fit through the hole in the case.

I think a repro of the pinion puller is available. PM me if you wish, and I'll check/.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,341
No, the pinion won't go through the case,it has to be pulled off. I've seen too many cranks trashed where people have just slammed away trying to smash it out. It's possible it could be done in a press, but I'd still be worried about damaging the case. Like a clutch puller, a crankgear puller is a must when working in Triumphs. I also have camgear puller and installers....but they aren't really a must, just nice to have.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

It looks like I'm going to have to order a puller, we have tried making one but the gear is being stubborn. Oh the joys of working on bikes.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 579
If you pull the crank pinion off the put the case and crank in the oven the bearing usually comes out with the crank, at least it does on mine. It helps to be unmarried before trying this procedure or it can result in serious injury and a large financial penalty.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

OK I ordered the pinion gear puller and pretty much its a waste of $$$ as it would not fit around the case, So I heated the case and the crank popped right out, I'll take it to local machine shop on Monday and press off the gear as the pinion puller is struggling even with the clearance it needed.. I have another crankshaft lined up and I need to order new bearings etc and then I can start putting her back together.
I appreciate all the tips and advice and other than the crank pinion its been an easy tear down.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Wes White of Four Aces Cycle makes a good DVD for rebuilding Triumph Twins. It was invaluable when I rebuilt a '68 650.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
Wes White of Four Aces Cycle makes a good DVD for rebuilding Triumph Twins. It was invaluable when I rebuilt a '68 650.
Believe it or not I had rebuilt a couple of these but it has been many years and I forgot more than I thought. I do have my brother helping and he has done a few Norton rebuilds. Getting fresh ideas from others seems to generate some of the best help and your post reminded me I have the "building budget brits" book. which also reminds me I need to see if my VW crank gear puller will pull the right side bearing and gear off as one unit.........Thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:59 PM   #26
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Triumph Twin Experts

I have a question regarding a shim (spacer) located behind the front primary sprocket up against the main bearing. My factory parts manual does not show one, my Haynes manual list it as an oil seal, and I honestly do not remember whether or not I removed this shim during disassembly but I "think" one was there. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #27
concours
Banned

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I have a question regarding a shim (spacer) located behind the front primary sprocket up against the main bearing. My factory parts manual does not show one, my Haynes manual list it as an oil seal, and I honestly do not remember whether or not I removed this shim during disassembly but I "think" one was there. Any help would be appreciated.
Get a proper factory workshop manual here: http://www.classicbike.biz/Triumph/Repair/Repair.htm It should explain the purpose of the shim, and how to calculate it
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #28
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

My mistake I should have added I also have the factory manual and it makes no mention of the shim. I'm actually looking for someone who has specific knowledge on the late unit twins.

Concours thanks for the link anyhow.

Mark
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #29
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,676
The shim is to align the primary drive sprocket with the clutch basket . Various thicknesses .

Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
marksbonneville OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700 View Post
The shim is to align the primary drive sprocket with the clutch basket . Various thicknesses ..
I checked rechecked and checked again and with the shim polished/cleaned up a tad the primary drive and clutch basket are in line. Thanks for the help and I hope to have her back on the road soon.