Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #4756
RJP
Time-Deficient Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
From 2 pages ago, here's what I did with mine to rectify the problem. Precisely as you said. This picture was done with a dremel which is all I had available at the time. When I got back home from school, I reground it with an angle grinder and it looks a lot better.:
I moved the shifter up one notch and had to grid the shifter the same way to fit the GF's MX boots.
02 TTR-125LP
RJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #4757
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
New to the thread

Hey all! I've been reading this forum for a few months now and have learned SO much about my bike and all the things I can do with it! Thank you all so much!

I am the lucky owner of a 2007 DR200SE. I love that thing like it is my child! I actually got rid of my Sportster and bought it (on purpose)!

I do have a few questions as I am about to take my first long distance trip this summer with it. I want to head south and make it as far as I can in about a week and then put the bike (and myself) on a train and head back home. I'd like to hit Florida if at all possible.

A little about me - I'm a female, about 5'5", 155lbs. I'm in PA and am waiting for a little bit of nicer weather to begin my trip but I'd like to start preparing the bike in the meantime. I want to stick mainly to back roads but I know that there are going to be times that I'm going to have to hit a highway or two, it's inevitable. So many questions have come up in my head.

First of all - the sprocket thing. 39 teeth? And how hard is that to change out?

Tires - I want to replace the deathwings that are on there now. I'm looking at Kenda's. From what I've read that you all have said on here, they seem to be fairly popular with you guys. I'm looking at something either 80/20 or 60/40. I do a lot of off road trail riding but I'd like to get some decent gas mileage this summer.

I have a truck box but I'd also like to get some kind of saddle bags. Any suggestions? Something detachable with frames.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out! Like I said, this is my first long distance ride so ANY advice is appreciate greatly! Especially if I'm missing anything here!

I'm so excited!
Attached Images

psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #4758
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Trunk Box

Here is a pic of the trunk box I got for it. Not pretty but very functional! It detaches easily so I don't have to ride around looking too silly if I don't need it at the moment.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #4759
motocikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
Here is a pic of the trunk box I got for it. Not pretty but very functional! It detaches easily so I don't have to ride around looking too silly if I don't need it at the moment.
Nice, looks almost stock. Some bikes, namely sportbikes, look terrible with a top box since the tail end seems to be pointing into the air. The DR's look fine with top-boxes. If I decide to buy another bike, a prerequisite is that it must not look terrible with a large top-box.

I've been looking into a top-box as well. What brand/model is yours? How is it attached to the bike?

Right now I have a Cycleracks rear rack, which is nice. I often attach a milk crate with bungee cords. But I think a top-box would almost always work out better for me since I normally only haul small loads of not awkwardly-shaped objects (i.e. groceries). Other pluses for a top-box:
-No worries about your things getting wet.
-Locking, can leave things on the bike.
-Easier to remove than a bunch of bungee cords.

motocikl screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 01:57 PM
motocikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #4760
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
my DR had a cycleracks on it when I purchased it. I installed a pelican case on it. plenty of install ideas in other threads. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=644549&page=2
cycleracks has bag supports for their rack.

some panniers
http://tw200forum.com/forums/74658/ShowPost.aspx

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102759 caribou

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #4761
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Will pelican cases fit to the side of the stock rack? If so which cases should I get?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #4762
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
First of all - the sprocket thing. 39 teeth? And how hard is that to change out?
I'm running a 39T rear on mine with the stock front. It lowers the revs to 5500 @ 55mph, 6500@65 etc. Really happy with the ratio, even for cruising offroad a bit.

Quote:
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out! Like I said, this is my first long distance ride so ANY advice is appreciate greatly! Especially if I'm missing anything here!

I'm so excited!

If you want to do any real highway riding on it (even 45-50mph), a windscreen is almost a must in my opinion. Especially on longer rides i'm a lot less fatigued since I added the screen. I ordered mine from screensforbikes and couldn't be happier with it. Longest trip I've done on it was 500 miles in a day...some interstate, lots of gravel and backroads.

godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #4763
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
I'm running a 39T rear on mine with the stock front. It lowers the revs to 5500 @ 55mph, 6500@65 etc. Really happy with the ratio, even for cruising offroad a bit.

If you want to do any real highway riding on it (even 45-50mph), a windscreen is almost a must in my opinion. Especially on longer rides i'm a lot less fatigued since I added the screen. I ordered mine from screensforbikes and couldn't be happier with it. Longest trip I've done on it was 500 miles in a day...some interstate, lots of gravel and backroads.
Any suggestions as to where to find a decent, not too expensive 39t sprocket? And how hard is it to do the work myself?

I already followed your ink for the screensforbikes and requested info from them

I was, however, checking out your saddle bags! Where did you find that setup?? VERY nice!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #4764
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocikl View Post
Nice, looks almost stock. Some bikes, namely sportbikes, look terrible with a top box since the tail end seems to be pointing into the air. The DR's look fine with top-boxes. If I decide to buy another bike, a prerequisite is that it must not look terrible with a large top-box.

I've been looking into a top-box as well. What brand/model is yours? How is it attached to the bike?

Right now I have a Cycleracks rear rack, which is nice. I often attach a milk crate with bungee cords. But I think a top-box would almost always work out better for me since I normally only haul small loads of not awkwardly-shaped objects (i.e. groceries). Other pluses for a top-box:
-No worries about your things getting wet.
-Locking, can leave things on the bike.
-Easier to remove than a bunch of bungee cords.
The box is attached to a plate that is screwed onto the rear fender thing. Don't you like my technical terms? The box locks and when it's attached to the plate it cannot be removed until the box itself is unlocked.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #4765
psu75
Carpe Diemer

39t sprocket

Will this work?

Part: JT Rear Steel Sprocket
Make: Suzuki
Model: DR200SE Year: 1996-2009
O.E.M. Gearing: 12/53
Teeth:39T
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #4766
SHO_GuN
Adventurerer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Will this work?

Part: JT Rear Steel Sprocket
Make: Suzuki
Model: DR200SE Year: 1996-2009
O.E.M. Gearing: 12/53
Teeth:39T
That should work. If you aren't adverse to eBay, check there before purchasing as you may get a better deal. They also have a couple Sunstar brand currently listed @ $32.36 with free shipping. One of my sprockets is a Sunstar but I forget whether it's the front or rear but they both still look like new.

As far as changing it yourself ... you have to remove the wheel of course and removing the bolts that hold the sprocket on scared me as they were very tight the whole way out and did a lot of screeching. I was suprised neither broke, but they didn't.

You will probably have to shorten the chain also. My chain didn't have a master link, so I had to cut the chain and get a replacement o-ring master link. Cutting the chain was straight forward, but is tough. I also had trouble getting the new master link together as I didn't have the special tool. I used a small socket that would fit over just one pin and cranked it together with a small c-clamp moving back and forth from one pin to the other until the out piece would fit.
SHO_GuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #4767
motocikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
The box is attached to a plate that is screwed onto the rear fender thing. Don't you like my technical terms? The box locks and when it's attached to the plate it cannot be removed until the box itself is unlocked.
I suspected as much. What brand/model for the rack and the box?

Also, godwinmt, same question for your top-box setup.

I've thought about Pelican but:
-No case conveniently sized to fit a helmet plus some extra things.
-No easy on/off.
-No built-in locking.
motocikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #4768
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Any suggestions as to where to find a decent, not too expensive 39t sprocket? And how hard is it to do the work myself?

I already followed your ink for the screensforbikes and requested info from them

I was, however, checking out your saddle bags! Where did you find that setup?? VERY nice!!

It's a sunstar I ordered from motorcycle superstore. I've run it for 4000 miles now with no problems yet :)

As for the work, it's really simple. More just time consuming than anything. Use a dirtbike stand or some other sort of jack to get the rear wheel of the bike off the ground and supported, then pull the rear brake actuator rod (the rod that connects the pedal to the lever on the drum) and the rod that keeps it from spinning. Then you can pull the rear axle, drop the wheel out, and then pull the old chain (i'd recommend changing it with the sprocket as it was pretty tough for me to find a master link that would work with it). Then pull the bolts on the old sprocket, pull it off the wheel, put the new sprocket on, reinstall the bolts and tighten everything down. Put the wheel back on, lay the new chain up and see how long it needs to be, break the chain and install everything.

The bags in that picture are the Moose Racing expedition bags. I really liked them when I had them. They're waterproof for the most part (I'd still throw whatever's in them in a cheap drybag), and hold quite a bit. The top front strap runs underneath the seat, the rear top strap runs underneath you're top box plate, the bottom rear strap runs to the turn signal bracket, and the bottom front strap runs to the passenger footpeg supports. The right side bag rests on the heatshield on the stock muffler. I haven't had any problems with it getting too hot at all.

Unfortunately those bags aren't on the bike anymore. They survived several drops by me with no problem, but I loaned them to a friend for his KLR250 for the weekend, and he snagged one of the straps when trying to kickstart his bike. It ripped the straps out of the side of the bags :( I replaced them with a set of saddleman bags that are similar but a little smaller:

If I did it again, I'd get the mooses in a heartbeat.

-M
godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #4769
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Rack / Box

Wife's bike.
Cycleracks rack (bought used off Craigslist).
Pelican Storm 2300 hard box (off of eBay).
Around $150 for the combo.....
She is very happy w the setup.
Eventually we'll put on shorter rear turn signals to have the rack protect them after the inevitable dirt nap....
:-)

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #4770
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Quote:

I cant remember if I have asked you before about that screen, does it reduce gas mileage and doesn't it cause buffeting at 60mph plus?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote