Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #4771
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highaltidude View Post
Wife's bike.
Cycleracks rack (bought used off Craigslist).
Pelican Storm 2300 hard box (off of eBay).
Around $150 for the combo.....
She is very happy w the setup.
Eventually we'll put on shorter rear turn signals to have the rack protect them after the inevitable dirt nap....
:-)

Chuck
A used cycle rack, you were lucky, i've been looking for a second hand one forever.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #4772
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO_GuN View Post
That should work. If you aren't adverse to eBay, check there before purchasing as you may get a better deal. They also have a couple Sunstar brand currently listed @ $32.36 with free shipping. One of my sprockets is a Sunstar but I forget whether it's the front or rear but they both still look like new.

As far as changing it yourself ... you have to remove the wheel of course and removing the bolts that hold the sprocket on scared me as they were very tight the whole way out and did a lot of screeching. I was suprised neither broke, but they didn't.

You will probably have to shorten the chain also. My chain didn't have a master link, so I had to cut the chain and get a replacement o-ring master link. Cutting the chain was straight forward, but is tough. I also had trouble getting the new master link together as I didn't have the special tool. I used a small socket that would fit over just one pin and cranked it together with a small c-clamp moving back and forth from one pin to the other until the out piece would fit.

Yup, I'll be taking that across the river to the nearest bike shop to have the work done. I can perform basic maintenance on my bike but this is where I start to break things and start costing myself more money...

Thanks for the help!!!!
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #4773
motocikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
A used cycle rack, you were lucky, i've been looking for a second hand one forever.
I might be willing to part ways with mine for a reasonable price if someone would give more details on working top-box setups (not Pelican).
motocikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #4774
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
I cant remember if I have asked you before about that screen, does it reduce gas mileage and doesn't it cause buffeting at 60mph plus?
I think it improved my milage a bit because it directs the wind over your chest etc. I really don't get much buffeting on it. If I'm riding for an extended period of time/distance at interstate speeds (15-20 miles), I'll scoot back and lay forward on the tank down completely behind it.

Also, we got snow yesterday so I figured I'd ride the DR in this morning :) 14 degrees :) Damn coldblooded bike takes forever to get moving in the morning.

godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #4775
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,313
I put on a lot of winter miles on my 200 a few years ago. The muffler rusted out. Got a new cast-off one from an inmate here.

Also, the Kientech jet kit plus messing with the idle screw really takes away much of the cold-bloodedness of the bike.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #4776
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocikl View Post
I might be willing to part ways with mine for a reasonable price if someone would give more details on working top-box setups (not Pelican).
If you have a rack,you can alwasy get the cheapo top boxes from Whitney.They can also be used as side cases/panniers.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/glossy-moto...?filterid=u0j3

http://www.jcwhitney.com/travel-trun...wx?filterid=u0

http://www.jcwhitney.com/motorcycle-...?filterid=u0j3

http://www.jcwhitney.com/travel-trun...wx?filterid=u0
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #4777
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

How much did the windshield set you back? I have a moose racing number plate bag on mine so I'd have to remove it if I was to go for the windshield. Looking good, nice jacket.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Old 01-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #4778
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Also, the Kientech jet kit plus messing with the idle screw really takes away much of the cold-bloodedness of the bike.
Any issues running the jet kit with the stock airbox configuration and exhaust? I think i'm going to play around with the screw on the bottom of the carb and see if I can get it to behave a bit better. It's not bad as long as you let it idle for a couple minutes and warm up.

The windscreen I think was ~$100 shipped, but I'm not sure. Peter is really nice to deal with over there.

I put 2 rows of studs in the knobbies today. Made a night and day difference on the slick stuff.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #4779
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Any issues running the jet kit with the stock airbox configuration and exhaust? I think i'm going to play around with the screw on the bottom of the carb and see if I can get it to behave a bit better. It's not bad as long as you let it idle for a couple minutes and warm up.
I wouldn't run the different jets without opening up the box in some way. I tried leaving the lid off, but I didn't like the additional noise, so I went to a 2-inch hole in the lid. That was considerably quieter. I have kientech's larger nozzle in the muffler, too.

When I was riding in really cold weather (like well below freezing) all the time a few years ago, the warm-up time was just too long, and it's cured now. It was always okay 35 degrees and up, just a little cold-blooded.

It'll probably help if you just richen up the idle circuit, but I found that the lean spot was somewhere off idle. It would pop off every time, even down to ten degrees, and sit there and idle, but you couldn't give it any throttle for a few minutes. Now with the jetting changes, it's much better.

Ladybug, I bet you have a weak battery in yours. Mine always pops right off, even below freezing.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #4780
godwinmt
They call me Crash

It acts the same way you describe...idle seems fine,even a bit rich, but somewhere north of it when the throttle cracks, it says hell no i won't go.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #4781
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
[QUOTE=godwinmt;17745790]Any issues running the jet kit with the stock airbox configuration and exhaust? I think i'm going to play around with the screw on the bottom of the carb and see if I can get it to behave a bit better. It's not bad as long as you let it idle for a couple minutes and warm up.
QUOTE]

just open up the idle mixture screw 2 to 3 turns open. the stock air box openings provide more than enough air for the size of the stock carb size. also try removing the metal screen inside of the air filter for extra airflow.
hard starting esp when cold is always the idle mixture screw.
with stock exhaust a jet kit is not required. I opened up the stock exhaust, by drilling the epa baffle. nice upgrade with the 3 turns open. I believe the needle also needs to be shimmed after the exhaust mod, but the weather changed to winter, so this testing will not be done until 60-70 degree weather is back.

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #4782
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Definitely not the idle mixture screw, then, because they start very well.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #4783
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Cold air is denser than warm air. Thus a lean condition, even if not obvious normally, will be made worse in colder weather.....
So if your bike runs worse in cold weather showing lean symptoms, time to richen it up.....

Chuck
Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #4784
Highaltidude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Top Speed

Who says these bikes can't do 85mph on the interstate?????

:-)

Chuck

Highaltidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #4785
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

The dr looks nice in black. I've had mine up to 75mph. I noticed since I've been taking my dr on the interstate it goes through oil faster. Have you taken your dr up pikes peak does the carb need to be altered at all to handle the altitude.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X