Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
TedT OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thanks Garrett! And yes, I was a little hasty in my welding. Lesson learned! Next time I think twice, weld once rather than now figuring out how to fix what I did here. I've got to get on the compy at home to upload the steering stem pics, this computer keeps making hard drive death sounds. Onwards!
TedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #17
Throbbing Missile
Stuck in a rut

Oddometer: 30
I've recently been doing some frame work where I've had to remake some gussets of that style. I did some research and found out that, as has been mentioned, welding across the frame creates stress concentrations at the point. The problem with not welding is that water can get in through the gaps and rot from the inside out.

My replacements in progress:

I haven't welded the ends of these but will incorporate filler plugs through which Waxoil can be sprayed once the frame has been painted.

Full details are on this blog post: http://www.throbbingmissile.com/2012...-innuendo.html

There is also a link to Tony Foale's book, Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design on my blog. It's quite an expensive book but covers in huge depth all the elements that you're looking to work with on your SRX frame, I can't recommend it highly enough.

http://www.throbbingmissile.com - Finest quality motorcycle blogging.
Throbbing Missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
TedT OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the link and the info! I was actually going to touch on that subject myself on this frame. Some of the exposed tube ends actually had started to rust on the inside of the frame. Now, it's not a gusset joint, so I'm thinking to close it off especially since it's towards the tail of the frame and could see some road debris getting in there. But after having ground down my prior attempts, I was thinking along the lines of what you just said to keep the tubes solid. I'm going to have to see if I have a copy of Tony Foale's book here. I saw some of the work he did on his website and it's given me a few ideas as to where to go next on the frame.

In other news, the swingarm is here! Going to take a little work to make it fit, but it looks like it should take the stress of the swap a lot better than the stock swingarm. Plus it's a little longer, which might not hurt in the grand scheme of things.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
TedT OP
Adventurer

Here's some more pics, first of the steering head bracing:

And one of the new swingarm vs. the stock piece. It's red on red for the stock one, sorry if this makes it difficult to see.

More work to follow, but for now I need to sleep.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Hey that frame looks familiar!

Cool build....so how much HP will you get out of the new motor?

Keep an eye on ebay for a tank, they show up every once in a while.
KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
TedT OP
Adventurer

Yeah I would imagine that frame might look pretty familiar! If you need any parts for yours, let me know. Some of the stuff is in decent shape, but I've got no use for it. As for the motor that's going in it...well it puts out about 60hp to the wheels. It's pretty far from stock, it'll run only on racing fuel, but holy cow does it hook up and run!

As far as progress...Yeah, we got progress! The swingarm is coming along nicely, but unfortunately today was the day I forgot the camera! I'll get pics tomorrow to show you guys.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
TedT OP
Adventurer

Okay work progresses on the swingarm...actually it's almost done. Had to do a lot of fabrication work, but it moves freely and should give more than enough suspension travel for the road. Been a few days of working on other people's stuff, but I got a solid day's work in and it's looking great now.

Of course...then I go and start thinking again. Might have another frame lined up. Something much stiffer than the SRX, no matter how much I brace it. Pics will be coming soon.