Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #811
Paul_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post

Nice build, is that a Sig kit?

It's nice to see someone who works with wood still. I flew R/C on-and-off from about 1980-2007 and I always loved working with balsa, whether it was kits, from plans, or scratch building. I gave it up 4-5 years ago but is seems a lot harder to find balsa kits these days, it's all foam ARF's. The ARF explosion was one of the reasons I left the hobby. All the new guys at the field seemed to be "pilots" more than "modelers". All you needed was a credit card and 30 minutes to be an RC'er, no time investment anymore.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #812
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post

It's nice to see someone who works with wood still. I flew R/C on-and-off from about 1980-2007 and I always loved working with balsa, whether it was kits, from plans, or scratch building. I gave it up 4-5 years ago but is seems a lot harder to find balsa kits these days, it's all foam ARF's. The ARF explosion was one of the reasons I left the hobby. All the new guys at the field seemed to be "pilots" more than "modelers". All you needed was a credit card and 30 minutes to be an RC'er, no time investment anymore.
Hate to say it, but it's a recovered/repaired H-9 1/5th scale.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #813
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post

When I want to put time into a model, I build something like this:

When I want to fly, I buy something like this:

I could build them, but I probably wouldn't fly them. Some day I will get into it when I get better, but for now ARF and RTF is what I like for flying.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #814
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
I bought an ECX Smash 1/18 scale monster truck the other day, and it's ok. It's been years since I had an r/c toy, and the last one was gas. This one is apparently the same as the Losi Mini T, though that means nothing to me. Can anyone point me to a good affordable battery and motor upgrade? The truck is fine for playing with but it's too damn slow.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #815
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
When I want to put time into a model, I build something like this:

When I want to fly, I buy something like this:

I could build them, but I probably wouldn't fly them. Some day I will get into it when I get better, but for now ARF and RTF is what I like for flying.
The foamies made by parkzone are some very nice flying planes, I started with a GWS baby tiger moth, then an Easy Star, then the Parkzone Corsair....bought the corsair when it came off the truck at the hobby store...so I have had it a few years now. I have the large VQ P-39, and the small planes in the series the Spad XIII, Nieuport 11 and DR1, they are all ARF's and very nice. Most complex plane is the Bonanza and it is full house with retracts, flaps and all. Once you get a good stable plane like the parkzone series and master those you can fly just about anything. I know people start off on those planes but it is not something I would suggest.

I just picked up a Sky Raider from Airfield in 800mm...I will let you all know how it goes after the big brown truck brings it if anyone is intrested.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #816
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
The foamies made by parkzone are some very nice flying planes, I started with a GWS baby tiger moth, then an Easy Star, then the Parkzone Corsair....bought the corsair when it came off the truck at the hobby store...so I have had it a few years now. I have the large VQ P-39, and the small planes in the series the Spad XIII, Nieuport 11 and DR1, they are all ARF's and very nice. Most complex plane is the Bonanza and it is full house with retracts, flaps and all. Once you get a good stable plane like the parkzone series and master those you can fly just about anything. I know people start off on those planes but it is not something I would suggest.

I just picked up a Sky Raider from Airfield in 800mm...I will let you all know how it goes after the big brown truck brings it if anyone is intrested.
I have been eyeballing that sky raider for the longest time! I was pretty happy with my airfield skytrainer up until Saturdays incident that ended it. At first I really didn't like the 800mm series due to the lack of retracts, then I figured they did look pretty cool.

Has anybody seen the Durafly series from hobbyking? They have some really good scale 6 channel warbirds that are 1100mm size. They just released a vampire EDF jet with retracts. They are all around $130 or so. Pretty cool planes. I think I want me one soon!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #817
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghartha View Post
I bought an ECX Smash 1/18 scale monster truck the other day, and it's ok. It's been years since I had an r/c toy, and the last one was gas. This one is apparently the same as the Losi Mini T, though that means nothing to me. Can anyone point me to a good affordable battery and motor upgrade? The truck is fine for playing with but it's too damn slow.
The first question is does teh ESC have a lipo cutoff feature? If not, I had good luck with these in the Mini LST 2 that I had.
http://cheapbatterypacks.com/product...ni-T-pack.aspx

If lipo is an option - http://cheapbatterypacks.com/Models/...81/Mini-T.aspx or find a battery on Hobbypartz.com or Hobbyking.com that fits your rig.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #818
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,999
Was cleaning out the closet today... Came across this. Been a while since it saw daylight.

Tamiya Lancia Rally car. Same chassis as the Frog. Right out of the '80s.

Too bad I didn't keep the original box. There's one still in kit form going for $1100 on ebay.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #819
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungawunga View Post
was cleaning out the closet today... Came across this. Been a while since it saw daylight.

tamiya lancia rally car. Same chassis as the frog. Right out of the '80s.

too bad i didn't keep the original box. There's one still in kit form going for $1100 on ebay.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #820
Wannabee
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,425
clean that lancia up and detail it , make her a fair weather runner or a shelf queen.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #821
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Old 01-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #822
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Woa. I WANT! I could hang my kids from that thing and buzz them around the yard!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #823
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,590
Excuse me, I need a moment...

Speakers to eleven, Captain!
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #824
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
The first question is does teh ESC have a lipo cutoff feature? If not, I had good luck with these in the Mini LST 2 that I had.
http://cheapbatterypacks.com/product...ni-T-pack.aspx

If lipo is an option - http://cheapbatterypacks.com/Models/...81/Mini-T.aspx or find a battery on Hobbypartz.com or Hobbyking.com that fits your rig.
I have no clue to be honest. I know nothing about electric rc stuff, or really rc stuff in general. All I've been able to find online is that the truck is the same as the Mini T and most parts will work, but even that is over my head

I bought the thing on a whim and kinda regret it since it's really pokey and small, but I can't resist modding stuff. Are there any good resources for a total noob?
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #825
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,367
My first REAL rc car....if you ever decide to sell that thing, do some checking first....they can be worth a bit of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Was cleaning out the closet today... Came across this. Been a while since it saw daylight.

Tamiya Lancia Rally car. Same chassis as the Frog. Right out of the '80s.

Too bad I didn't keep the original box. There's one still in kit form going for $1100 on ebay.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: