ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #1
dakos OP
Adventure everywhere

Oddometer: 9
Using Google Maps then xfering to an Iphone. Possible?

Hey all, I'm planning a trip down to the florida keys in may and I've got my non-highway route all planned out but I'm stumped when it comes to a way to transfer my maps from my computer onto my iphone.

Is there an app out there or anything that I can use?

Also, what would you guys reccomend for live tracking gps on my iphone?

Thanks in advance. I used the search function, but got back results that were too broad.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
yatman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Wink Live tracking app

Hi, I really like the "EveryTrail" app and it works well for me. The tracks and the cursor that moves along your track with the graph of speed and altitude is cool.
MotionX GPS is popular on here as .GPX files can be easily transferred and saved to it.
You could try TopoMaps app
Hope you find this helpful.

yatman
yatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
legalbeagle
Stay thirsty

Oddometer: 71
iPhone GPS

I have Topo Maps and the TomTom App on my iPhone 4s (carried over from earlier iPhone versions). If your trip is mostly on back roads/dirt roads that can be found on regular maps, I really like the TomTom app. I haven't used the Topo Maps very much because the TomTom app is pretty amazing and has actually had roads loaded in the map that were really just goat trails in Arizona, Eastern Oregon and Central Idaho. Actually, come to think of it, in three years of riding with it I can't remember getting on a trail/road that wasn't on the map. IMHO the TomTom app is worth the $. It even works flawlessly with my Scala Rider G4 and politely interrupts my music with the turn by turn directions. (The sexy female british accent setting is my favorite!) You can upload routes with the trip planner and there are several good online programs for converting GPX files. Unlike the Topo which requires downloading local maps from a network, the TomTom app is preloaded with maps and also regularly updates for free. This means it works anywhere and you don't need cell coverage.
legalbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
I'm just going to say that MotionX is the easiest way to do what you want to do. Step by step...

1. Make up your route in Google Maps and copy the link.

2. Go to this website....

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert...ert_format=gpx

Paste your GM link and hit convert, and then you download your GPX file.

3. Just email your GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com and it will email you back a file that you open with your iphone and it imports to Motion X.

You are done, go ride!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,261
^^^ Nice clear directions. Good solution. Works like a charm. Love it. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
surferbum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
I'm just going to say that MotionX is the easiest way to do what you want to do. Step by step...

3. Just email your GPX file to gpsimport@motionx.com and it will email you back a file that you open with your iphone and it imports to Motion X.

You are done, go ride!
Make certain that use use the iPhone's mail app. Gmail doesn't work (the hypertext link which should be the routes to download to the MotionX app aren't valid)
BT2010 - Big Trip 2010 13 days and ...
My Spot WhereAmIriding
surferbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #7
Mikemm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakos View Post
Hey all, I'm planning a trip down to the florida keys in may and I've got my non-highway route all planned out but I'm stumped when it comes to a way to transfer my maps from my computer onto my iphone.

Is there an app out there or anything that I can use?

Also, what would you guys reccomend for live tracking gps on my iphone?

Thanks in advance. I used the search function, but got back results that were too broad.
Ive had great success using google latitude on iron butt rides allowing friends to track me.
Mikemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
hadye
The Pharaoh

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalbeagle View Post
You can upload routes with the trip planner and there are several good online programs for converting GPX files.
How do you do that with the TomTom on Iphone ?
hadye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #9
mbishara
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I tried using GPS visualizer and then converting and forwarding the attachment to gpsimport@motionx.com. I received a ink from Motion-X.

If I click on the link the GPS drive is supposed to open up with my new route. But nothing happens when I click the link for some reason....

This is a good way to use the Greatest Road app by downloading other people's GSX files and then transferring it to GPS Drive....

Unfortunately it's not working for me.....

Any suggestions
mbishara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
You can also copy gpx files to Motion-X using iTunes... that's what I do.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:21 AM   #11
mbishara
Adventurer

I assume GPS Drive right? Not GPS Maps? Because GPS Drive can import GPX files but it doesn't give turn by turn navigation. Only GPS Drive Drive does that.

This is what I received from their support department:

"Only MotionX-GPS supports GPX file importing. MotionX-GPS is designed for tracking and recording outdoor activities such as hiking, sailing, off-roading, flying, geocaching, or exploring new places. MotionX-GPS is available worldwide. For more info visit, http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/overview/.

GPS Drive does NOT support GPX file importing. MotionX-GPS Drive is a complete GPS navigation solution. MotionX-GPS Drive helps you find what you're looking for and provides turn-by-turn directions with optional Live Voice Guidance using industry-leading road maps. MotionX-GPS Drive is only available in the US and Canada. For more info visit http://drive.motionx.com/iPhone/overview/."

If I can find a way of doing this with GPS Drive then problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
65bellett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post

You are done, go ride!
Aviatortroy I can't thank you enough!! No more printing out page after page from googlemaps
65bellett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
AdventuresAbound
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Google Maps App

The iPhone has a free Google Maps app with turn-by-turn navigation and continuous tracking. If you use Google's Chrome browser and have a Google id (gmail sign-in), you can let Google know everything about you and make things super easy on yourself at the same time!

Once you have Chrome installed on your computer, and the Chrome and Google Maps app installed on your iPhone, follow these simple steps:

Make sure you're "signed in" on your Chrome browser on your computer.
Open your Google Maps in a new tab
Open the Chrome app on your phone
In the upper left corner click on "New Tab". It should show you all the tabs you have open in Chrome on your actual computer
Click on the tab with your Google Map. Allow it to use your location (will be auto prompted)
When it opens click the button in the top left that says "Open in the Google Maps app"
All done. Now you have your map synced with the one in your browser, and awesome GPS navigation.

Although I think it's a little Big Brother-ish, syncing Chrome between devices is awesome. I have my work computer, home computer, and phone all synced so if I'm looking at something cool at work, I can pull it right up at home without needing to search again or email myself URLs. Hope that's helpful
AdventuresAbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
mbishara
Adventurer

That does sound good but the Google GPS is a little bit behind the rest. The other issue, more importantly, is that you need data roaming with Google Maps if you're outside of your home area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
mbishara
Adventurer

I'm really getting into the iPhone idea. I have multiple GPS softwares and each one works better for a specific scenario.

When I want to upload someone else's GPX file for a specific ride I use GPS Drive. It's great and you can upload the entire map so data roaming isn't an issue.

In conjunction with the iPhone Greatest Ride App is great. Greatest Ride is an app that let's people upload their routes. So wherever you are you can pick some great routes that other people uploaded and export the GPX file into GPS Drive.

And then there's Google Maps and iPhone Maps for city driving where data is not a concern.

Tom Tom is also pretty good as long as you want to get from point A to point B. All maps are loaded on Tom Tom as well so data is not used.

With all of this I find the iPhone hard to beat, especially with my blue tooth setup, MP4 player, telephone, radio, etc.

Pretty much an all in one device.

http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/