Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #841
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,032
Airfield Sky Raider

This showed up last night so no work on cleaning up old cars....I built this instead. It is a 32" wingspan plane...and it is a little plane, runs on a 1000 2s battery that is (from what I have read) 5-7min of flight time. It is to have a pretty high wing loading so it likes to be flown fast. No chance to get the first flight in...and it looks like it may be a little bit with winds in the 20mph range. Just too windy for a little bird.

Here are some pics...tonight I am going to do a little wright up on this plane on rcgroups...and I can cross post it here if you would like.

I will say this is the first new plane I have bought in about 2 years....WOW is all I can say...just wow, the detail, fit finish, paint, decals....hell everything is just mind blowing. I don't think the photos I took will do it justice. I bought the RTF and that had everything you need to get the plane in the air less 4 AA batts....all for less than $100, and that included shipping. The plane went together very fast, no issues...I will post up a post flight review when it calms down....hopefully it will be less windy just before dusk tonight.

On to the pics....I will get a pic of the finished plane tonight.

FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #842
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,561
Yes, please post up the link to the review.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #843
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
I combined RC components with a camera and a motorcycle to make a gyro-stabilized camera mount.

MotoGP developed some gyr-stabilized camera systems that can provide live TV-quality video feeds. As you can imagine, the technology, while spectacular, is complex and expensive.

I learned about piezo gyros and that they'd been miniaturized along with servo motors for RC aircraft and helicopter use. Eventually, I found the Dunehaven GS-1, which is a combined gyro/servo in one package.

We have SolidWorks and a 3D printer so I set out to make a housing that would support the camera on my SV650S track bike. I used the mounting bracket from a GoPro camera, since they seem to be most popular for this application.

My first test prototype to test the concept was very crude, using a keychain cam.

But it worked!

As you may be able to tell, there is a problem with the gyro drifting back to center. This setup was small and cheap enough to be willing to live with it. The newest model decreases the amount of drift. I investigated going to something that would hold the heading better, but it appeared I was going to need what amounted to a helicopter autopilot, increasing the cost 3-4X.

I continued to work on the packaging and got a GoPro. Eventually I took this setup to a track day.

And I'm pretty pleased with the results. Especially for a product that is well less than $200 (excluding camera) to put together.

Thank you RC community! I'll have much better packaging for next year.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #844
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
on a Tamiya theme....
I am building up a Bigwig as a project, buy parts from e-bay gradually.
don't need many parts to complete and not going 100% original, Hotshot wheels and some other brand of shocks as well.

any recommendations on a motor?
I don't want flat out performance, just for fun in the street and dirt in the yard

will be my first tamiya RC, wanted it when it came out, never got it, now catching up with my days from a while back

thanks

Hay Ewe
Well, you could always use the stock 540 motor. I always liked Trinity motors though. I think I had a Joel Johnson Modified in my Hot Shot II. I have a Trinity Ruby 13T in my touring car that's a lot faster. Not sure what's 'good' right now though.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #845
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

That's pretty danged slick!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #846
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,319
This might work well for you and would allow for lipo use - http://www.oomodel.com/ezrun-35asl-e...db1-p-353.html

The motor is a 380 core but has plenty of power and should not over tax your drivetrain. Here it is in action.
Click on the pic for vid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
on a Tamiya theme....
I am building up a Bigwig as a project, buy parts from e-bay gradually.
don't need many parts to complete and not going 100% original, Hotshot wheels and some other brand of shocks as well.

any recommendations on a motor?
I don't want flat out performance, just for fun in the street and dirt in the yard

will be my first tamiya RC, wanted it when it came out, never got it, now catching up with my days from a while back

thanks

Hay Ewe
Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #847
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Christmas in hobbyland...

Got all the goodies to get the E-Flite RV-9 together.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #848
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
Got all the goodies to get the E-Flite RV-9 together.

Nice!! Have you used those OrangeRX receivers before? I just ordered a couple from Hobby King to try out. $19 for a 6-channel with a sattelite receiver. Way better than $90 for a Spektrum, if it works ok. Worth a try.
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #849
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saget View Post
Nice!! Have you used those OrangeRX receivers before? I just ordered a couple from Hobby King to try out. $19 for a 6-channel with a sattelite receiver. Way better than $90 for a Spektrum, if it works ok. Worth a try.
I haven't tried them, nor any Turnigy products.
This whole project is all about trying a bit of all the turnigy products, and the Orange receiver.
Depending on which of the zillion threads spread across RCGroups, and RCU, there's a even blend of love and hate for the Orange RX's.
I got the plane for "free" (won it at SEFF, so you know how free that is...), so I'm willing to sacrifice it in the name of testing, and shakedown.
I have a few other electric projects waiting in line to try, and if these prove to be good on the RV-9, I'll try them on the Rhapsody, next.

PS, I didnt know how big that speed controller was going to be.
It's rather large. Hopefully I can find enough room to tuck in out of the way.
They were out of the Sentry ESC's I wanted to try, as well as the Plush.

BTW, I ordered this batch of goodies 12-29-11, iirc, and tracked through Swiss Post, and received them (South Louisiana) yesterday.
I have another order I placed Jan 3, that appears to be tracking through Chinese post, or something of that nature. I see there was a notice left of it's delivery today. I'll have to get it tomorrow, when the post office opens.
I ordered a couple sets of Turnigy nano LiPo's from the USA warehouse, and they showed up in 2 or 3 days!
I hope they'll beef up thier USA inventory, because cheap, and fast is a great thing!

I_FLY_LOW screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 01:36 PM
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #850
Saget
Not quite a full house

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_FLY_LOW View Post
I haven't tried them, nor any Turnigy products.
This whole project is all about trying a bit of all the turnigy products, and the Orange receiver.
Kinda what I have in mind too for the Orange RX; a cheap foamie that won't break my heart if it crashes. I'll be real curious to hear what you think about it once it's flying!
2008 Kaw Connie14
2005 Kaw KLR650
2003 Hon CRF450R
Saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #851
Monday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
We've used the orange one's, seem to work fine. I just got 2 more. I've heard you occasionally get a bunk one, but at $6 a piece.....that's fine.
Instagram: darkmetalart
Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #852
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday View Post
We've used the orange one's, seem to work fine. I just got 2 more. I've heard you occasionally get a bunk one, but at $6 a piece.....that's fine.
What have you used yours in?
How far out have you flown them?
Some of the frequent thread mentions were about them having a short range.
I bought them under the pretenses that they were a full range receiver.
I didn't get the satellite receivers, either. Didn't think I needed them at the time.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #853
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
This showed up last night so no work on cleaning up old cars....I built this instead. It is a 32" wingspan plane...and it is a little plane, runs on a 1000 2s battery that is (from what I have read) 5-7min of flight time. It is to have a pretty high wing loading so it likes to be flown fast. No chance to get the first flight in...and it looks like it may be a little bit with winds in the 20mph range. Just too windy for a little bird.

Here are some pics...tonight I am going to do a little wright up on this plane on rcgroups...and I can cross post it here if you would like.

I will say this is the first new plane I have bought in about 2 years....WOW is all I can say...just wow, the detail, fit finish, paint, decals....hell everything is just mind blowing. I don't think the photos I took will do it justice. I bought the RTF and that had everything you need to get the plane in the air less 4 AA batts....all for less than $100, and that included shipping. The plane went together very fast, no issues...I will post up a post flight review when it calms down....hopefully it will be less windy just before dusk tonight.

On to the pics....I will get a pic of the finished plane tonight.

Skyraider? Cool!

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #854
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I combined RC components with a camera and a motorcycle to make a gyro-stabilized camera mount.

MotoGP developed some gyr-stabilized camera systems that can provide live TV-quality video feeds. As you can imagine, the technology, while spectacular, is complex and expensive.

I learned about piezo gyros and that they'd been miniaturized along with servo motors for RC aircraft and helicopter use. Eventually, I found the Dunehaven GS-1, which is a combined gyro/servo in one package.
That is cool!
This caught my eye because I built a servo controlled webcam, I could easily replace one of the servo's with that Dunehaven GS-1
Gyroscopic stabilized servo's... geez technology marches on!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #855
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 4,937
So if I had around $100 to spend on a flying toy, what would y'all recommend? I'd prefer a heli, but that Airmaster looks pretty sweet... Pretty much open to anything that requires more skill than what I have, which means pretty much anything. Suggestions?

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: