Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #31
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
REALLY wish that the KTM 950 had a clutch that operated the way a clutch is supposed to. It's my only real bitch about the bike, because it makes for crunchy shifting also.
Great bike, but the clutch sucks. At least it doesn't slip, so I should be happy for small miracles.

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #32
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefree View Post
Love my strom and the lights are bright but.....

No thinstrom option ...
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #33
SmithSwede
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Thought of another one on my ride home yesterday. My BMW F800 has a "feature" on the dash which shows the temperature. If it is below about 36 degrees, the temperature displays starts to flash. It also overrides whatever else you have selected, in order to show you the flashing temperature warning.

Just irritates me. I already know it's cold! And it feels like the bike is repeatedly calling me an idiot for riding in the winter.

SmithSwede screwed with this post 01-19-2012 at 05:02 PM
SmithSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #34
southwade OP
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599
^^
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #35
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
The oil drinking motor on the 2008 KLR650

The horrendous fuel mapping on Ducatis
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #36
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,137
Do all duelys have to have hard as rock seats? I would think putting a stock comfortable seat on a bike would draw in lots of customers? It certainly can't cost anymore to make a seat softer. Could it?
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,425
The carb idle and transition circuits on the '86-'06 Concours. They're so small that they clog easily and require removal to clean, and R&R of the carb rack isn't the easiest task.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #38
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
It might be just me, but the factory handlebar position on both my R1100GS and GTS1000 leave something to be desired - Too low and too far away in both cases - also at the wrong angle for my wrists in the case of the GS. The demand for adapters to raise the bars on both models seems to bear out my complaint, however. I am just over 6' tall and of normal proportions so it's doubly frustrating that both bikes have their footpegs slightly too high, although that is a compromise with ground clearance and seat height that I at least understand.

The GTS is a lovely and unique bike. It's comfortable, smooth, and great to ride but it was built with a number of other flaws, including mirrors that mostly show your elbows and a misguided 100HP restriction, strangling the magnificent FZ1000 engine to meet supposed European limitations that never came to pass.

I also don't get why Yamaha went away from having a functional self-cancelling turn signal system in the 70's and 80's.

My DR350 had a crap seat for any prolonged (over 45 min) ride but it might be argued that is not what it was intended for.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #39
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Service woes are my rant

I do 90% of my own maintenance/repairs. It's the zen thing and I enjoy it. So aesthetics and ergos aside, I get all pissy over what I consider poorly thought out mechanical designs. I don't own any of the bikes I'm griping about, and likely never will, but here's some things I've read in the past and just thought to myself ???Really???WTF!!!
Kaw. KLX450X, have to remove the exhaust head pipe to get to the oil filter? what a shame.
Weestrom, Remove the fairing cowel to access the air filter?
How about the valve adjustment procedure on the current model Honda VFR? My uncle has a Honda valkry. He has to remove the saddle bags and mounts and the exhaust to remove the rear tire. And the way he rides that thing, they dont last very long. There's more but you folks get my point. This kind of stuff is a deal breaker for me.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #40
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,165
Japanese crap fasteners. Working on my Honda or Yamaha dual sporrts always meant rolling the whole damned tool chest over to it. You could count on about a dozen different sized bolts, nuts and screws. Then there were the idiotic phillips head case screws that were made out of some type of alleged metal that is about as solid as cold peanut butter. So the hand impact driver was the first tool out if you had to remove an engine cover. A drill was the second tool out because you could count on the heads stripping anyway.

My KTM's are not without their own flaws. But at least fasteners aren't one of them. I can actually do almost all of the work on them with the on board tool kits. And, more importantly, all of the case screws are 8mm hex head. So you can actually remove them and even better put them back in at the right torque with a normal torque wrench and socket. Somehow Austrians manage to build a bike with only three hex head sizes, one allen size and common axle nuts across the whole line.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #41
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
It's not a bike but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Kaw. KLX450X, have to remove the exhaust head pipe to get to the oil filter? what a shame.
Weestrom, Remove the fairing cowel to access the air filter?
How about the valve adjustment procedure on the current model Honda VFR? My uncle has a Honda valkry. He has to remove the saddle bags and mounts and the exhaust to remove the rear tire. And the way he rides that thing, they dont last very long. There's more but you folks get my point. This kind of stuff is a deal breaker for me.
Be glad you don't own a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 liter diesel truck(No, I don't own one). The cab has to be removed from the frame to do most any work on the engine...and people here complain about removing fairings and body panels on bikes for valve adjustments/oil changes.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Japanese crap fasteners. ... the idiotic phillips head case screws ...
Yes, I've been there, done that and cursed them too. However, I eventually learned that it is likely they are JIS head, not Phillips. Supposedly, using a JIS screw driver versus a Phillips will do wonders toward not stripping out a JIS head fastener. I still don't own a JIS driver but I do have an impact driver that I've even replaced bits for...

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #43
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Be glad you don't own a Ford 6.0 or 6.4 liter diesel truck(No, I don't own one). The cab has to be removed from the frame to do most any work on the engine...and people here complain about removing fairings and body panels on bikes for valve adjustments/oil changes.

You gotta be shittin me! This is the kind of stuff one needs to research prior to purchase. Buyer beware. Parts and service is everything after the sale.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #44
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
My Husky has a spring loaded kickstand (on the left, of course) and the oil level check plug is on the right side so pull the check plug, as soon as you straighten the bike to check the oil level, the kick stand retracts so you have to hold the bike up and walk around it to put the stand back down. The seat is too high to reach over and put the stand down by hand.
Everytime I changed or checked the oil I was swearing. I've since put on a clutch cover that has a sight glass. Still on the right but at least I don't have to deal with the plug.

Now, the new camhead GS has the oil sight glass on one side and the oil fill on the other. WTF?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #45
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
They made them look just like those POS Keihin CV carbs!
so just to be clear, people are complaining about real throttle bodies that look like carbs and thusly are fake?

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote