Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #796
LoneStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
I don't like the aquabox myself. I tried it, but found that it was too insulating and caused heat issues with the phone. I went with a otter box instead. Its water resistant rather than water proof and that will have to do. If the weather turns real bad, we will have to pull out the aquabox and use it in the short term.
This was my experience as well. The phone would overheat within 15 minutes and then automatically reduce the display brightness to try and dump some of the heat. At that point the display is almost impossible to see, especially on a moving bike. I also needed a huge Aqua box to accomodate low profile power and audio plugs.

I have since moved on to the Otterbox. Not waterproof, but no issues thus far. But yeah, it will need to be covered or removed in case of a downpour etc.
LoneStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #797
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I don't think it's necessary to have vector maps as your basemap so as to see it offline, it seems to depend if you've looked at that area in another map (Mapnik, Google, Satellite, etc) while you were online.
Ah, yes, that is correct. My most recent experience with this was driving into a place that I had never looked at while online. Took me a few minutes to switch to the vector base to get anything to display.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #798
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Wow, nice work, well thought out design. Well done

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #799
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Galaxy Nexus here

Quote:
The update has been uploaded to the Android Market. This version will offer a significant performance upgrade to Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich users. It also contains minor performance updates for other versions.
I am using the app on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus w/ICS. I am still in learning mode and have not used it on a bike yet. I haven't figured out how to get tracks on it yet. lol I did once, but now I forgot how. I think I did via e-mail.

**OOPS...I quoted the wrong post**
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #800
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
I am using the app on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus w/ICS. I am still in learning mode and have not used it on a bike yet. I haven't figured out how to get tracks on it yet. lol I did once, but now I forgot how. I think I did via e-mail.
Move the map to an area where you want tracks, and then click the search button on the phone. You can also move the map to where you are looking for tracks and then click menu=>DSM Map Search
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #801
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Noob question

I am fairly new to this app so forgive the lack of knowledge. I am wanting to take tracks created w/Mapsource as well as my own POI's and have them available to use on DSM. Is the best way to do that through the DSM website? I was thinking about using GoogleDocs, if that is possible, so I would have them available anywhere (with service) to my phone or any PC. IF we can store personal tracks on DSM website, can we also store personal waypoints/POIs?

Right now I can see me using my phone w/DSM as a secondary GPS to my Garmin 60csx, using the 60 for my tracks and/or routing, and then using the DSM app when I want to 'look around', especially when a route needs to be altered due to an unforeseen obstacle. This is cumbersome to do with the 60, and I think it will work faster and easier with the DSM app.
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 01-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #802
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Upload the GPX (NOT THE GDB) from MapSource to the website and then it is available to view and download from anywhere on the web and on your phone.

Quote:
I am fairly new to this app so forgive the lack of knowledge. I am wanting to take tracks created w/Mapsource as well as my own POI's and have them available to use on DSM. Is the best way to do that through the DSM website? I was thinking about using GoogleDocs, if that is possible, so I would have them available anywhere (with service) to my phone or any PC. IF we can store personal tracks on DSM website, can we also store personal waypoints/POIs?

Right now I can see me using my phone w/DSM as a secondary GPS to my Garmin 60csx, using the 60 for my tracks and/or routing, and then using the DSM app when I want to 'look around', especially when a route needs to be altered due to an unforeseen obstacle. This is cumbersome to do with the 60, and I think it will work faster and easier with the DSM app.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #803
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Upload the GPX (NOT THE GDB) from MapSource to the website and then it is available to view and download from anywhere on the web and on your phone.
Thanks, I wil give it a try tonight! I see Google Docs does not support GPX files.
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #804
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I also had the same issues with the aquabox, but rather than get an otterbox I drilled some vent holes in the rear towards the top to allow heat to escape and just in case a few small drain holes in case any water were to get in.

I figure at the angle the aquabox sits coupled with the padding behind the phone to keep it against the screen, it would have to be submersed in order for the phone to get wet.

So far I haven't had any issues with the phone overheating or stopping its charge while keeping the screen on full blast, gps and bluetooth running.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #805
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Good thinking. How does the glare affect you? I found the aquabox glare very distracting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeegee View Post
I also had the same issues with the aquabox, but rather than get an otterbox I drilled some vent holes in the rear towards the top to allow heat to escape and just in case a few small drain holes in case any water were to get in.

I figure at the angle the aquabox sits coupled with the padding behind the phone to keep it against the screen, it would have to be submersed in order for the phone to get wet.

So far I haven't had any issues with the phone overheating or stopping its charge while keeping the screen on full blast, gps and bluetooth running.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #806
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

the website will be down for an hour or two on Monday. I am doing a hardware upgrade. I'm not sure what time yet.

EDIT:
1512-1543 UTC

craftycoder screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 11:43 AM
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #807
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Website back up. RAM has been doubled and 2 more processors have been added. The website is running on a quad core box now.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #808
n9udl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Website back up. RAM has been doubled and 2 more processors have been added. The website is running on a quad core box now.
Kick Ass! :-)

For me, (voluntary, for free) hosting has been a (mostly) thankless job. I run a site for our local township and also one regarding Pinzgauer vehicle legal issues in Wisconsin, which was very important for a couple of years until we passed our vehicle-specific legislation and then interest waned.

It is challenging to keep OS and application stack up to date (when juggling personal and work commitments), and harder to justify the time when your "labor of love" starts to run out of steam.

The more things fall behind the harder it becomes to catch up.

I say all this to preface this:

Once you have good inertia, start charging whatever you need to to keep yourself interested and make it worthwhile.

Users of the site should expect that the free lunch might end at some point, and they should take comfort in the transition from "hobby" to possibly "not-too-profitable-business".

As I have said before, you deliver great value for the investment in your Android app. When there is more content on the web site and if I am still using your Android app, I would be happy to support it with a modest annual subscription.

Perhaps you could have a credit system for content uploads, where content highly-rated by peers equals credits against subscription fees?

I love the site and the app, thanks again for everything!

Tom

"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass, if you have to choose." - Me

Check out the cool Tent Space thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

n9udl screwed with this post 01-17-2012 at 06:04 AM
n9udl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #809
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Move the map to an area where you want tracks, and then click the search button on the phone. You can also move the map to where you are looking for tracks and then click menu=>DSM Map Search
I still don't understand how I can search for tracks on my phone using the app. : By ' search button on the phone' are you referring to the search option in the app launch screen? I didn't respond to my difficulty grasping this right away, figured in time I would figure it out...... but I just don't understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #810
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

There is a "search" button below the screen or at the bottom of the screen on nearly all android devices. You can press it to search the screen bounds on the map. Alternately, you can press the "menu" button which is generally right next to the "search" button. Pressing the menu button will open the menu. On Ice Cream Sandwich which I think you phone came with, it looks like the image below. Click the "DSM Map Search" menu item to initiate the search. All maps you have access to that are within the current screen bounds will be displayed. You need to be be logged in to see your own private maps. You login by putting your login and password in the Menu=>Settings=>dualsportmaps.com area.

Quote:
I still don't understand how I can search for tracks on my phone using the app. : By ' search button on the phone' are you referring to the search option in the app launch screen? I didn't respond to my difficulty grasping this right away, figured in time I would figure it out...... but I just don't understand.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk