User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #286
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,568
Jack is Back!!!

Good to see ya back on two, my friend. Let's see if we both can keep it upright now.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #287
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
Jack is Back!!!

Good to see ya back on two, my friend. Let's see if we both can keep it upright now.
Thanks Sky! An excellent sentiment.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #288
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Glad your back Jack! The Tiger sure is sweet. I rode the "Michaux Express Routes" #10 and #11 on Saturday from the Sheetz store on PA Rt. 16 in Waynesboro to the Sheetz Store on PA Rt. 34 in Mt. Holly Springs and back again. Some how I managed to nail both the mileage (44.5 miles) and the time (1 hr. and 54 mins.) on both runs, all while checking 81 different mileage points on each route, which tends to slow you down a bit. I only managed to average 23.4 m.p.h., I can probably cut 30 minutes off the time once the roads dry out and I cut out the paperwork. Got a dusting of snow yesterday and it's to get down to single digits this morning, but Friday and Saturday are looking good, can you say 50's!

JC (SoPaRider)
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #289
JaxObsessed OP

WHY Yes Jeff, I can say 50s!!! :)\ I would much rather say 70s, BUT beggars can't be choosers. I'll be riding Saturday. Where is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Glad your back Jack! The Tiger sure is sweet. I rode the "Michaux Express Routes" #10 and #11 on Saturday from the Sheetz store on PA Rt. 16 in Waynesboro to the Sheetz Store on PA Rt. 34 in Mt. Holly Springs and back again. Some how I managed to nail both the mileage (44.5 miles) and the time (1 hr. and 54 mins.) on both runs, all while checking 81 different mileage points on each route, which tends to slow you down a bit. I only managed to average 23.4 m.p.h., I can probably cut 30 minutes off the time once the roads dry out and I cut out the paperwork. Got a dusting of snow yesterday and it's to get down to single digits this morning, but Friday and Saturday are looking good, can you say 50's!

JC (SoPaRider)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #290
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Jack:

I hope to ride on both Friday and Saturday while checking mileages on my "Best Of Michaux" Route #12, let me know if you plan to be in the area.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #291
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,087
Anyone heading there this weekend?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #292
bentrims

Oddometer: n/a
My Michaux S.F. story:

So I drove up to Michaux State Forest from Baltimore this past fall on a HD Roadking, pull into a large gravel parking area that opened up to a grass clearing off to the side. It was a big clearing, had a restroom building, campfire ring in center, and a state forest map board over on the side. I pulled in, shut the bike off and walked over to the map board to see where I was. Standing in front of the board, I took my full face helmet off and immediately heard a bear cub, or the momma bear, I don't know which. They sounded close, just inside the tree line somewhere. Any cub I'm within hearing distance is too close for me. Yes, I have an un-healthly fear of being ripped apart. Sometimes camping off the beating path can be a nightmare for me but I still do it. Anyway, I casually walked backwards over towards the bike yelling "Get Bear, Get" the whole way. I must have looked pretty stupid. I put my helmet back on because if I'm going to be attacked, I'm gonna be wearing my helmet. ATGATT right? As I'm walking, I'm thinking I'll just start the bike and scare them off. I turned the switches on, hit the start button, and nothing. Nothing at all. Great, now Im gonna die now because my bike wont start. I figured if the bears did come out and over to me, I could always hide in the restroom building like a little girl. I never had to do that and it all worked out fine. I got a hot shot from a couple of guys on four wheelers. They said they had also seen a momma with a cub earlier and informed me that these bears up here are not like the tamer skyline drive bears that I've seen before. They were proud of their brand of local bears. I pointed the bike towards home and made it half way before it died again. Had to be towed the rest of the way. It seemed like a really nice forest area, and I will definitly be heading back up at some point to finish my ride. Thanks for reading.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #293
JaxObsessed OP

Good one BR! You were about 500X more likely to be mauled by the guys on 4x4s, and about 1,000,000 times more likely to be mauled while riding your bike. Just some funny stats... Vending machines kill more people than sharks every year and sharks kill 20 times the people bears do.
Really though... sorry that you have the fear... gotta make for some interesting nights while camping!

Hey bonehead!! I can't ride this weekend. It's about time I start work on my GS!!! I've been such a lazy fuk!!
Oh and it's gonna be coldern hell!!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:12 AM   #294
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,087
I was going to Hatfield Mccoy with the 950 this weekend but my boy has finals next week so we pushed it back one weekend. I dont mind the cold as much as the people who drive cars in it.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #295
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Michaux received 3 to 4 inches of wet snow, then a layer of sleet and freezing rain on top of that this past Saturday (21st), so unless your running ice screws it may be a while before it melts enough to go play in the slush. At least the temps are to get into the 40's over the next 10 days, so hopefully it will melt quickly.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
Old 01-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #296
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxObsessed View Post
Trust me.... close this miserable, pathetic thread and open this music for the soul. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597909

Prometheus Joe tells a great story and takes an AMAZING photo. FEAST YOUR EYES:

mirro lake and lake placid............beautiful!
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #297
JaxObsessed OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
mirro lake and lake placid............beautiful!
You gotta take that to Joe's thread!!! He has WAY more fantastic inspiring images in there!!! The best you will see here on ADV.

no offense Peaches!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoPaRider View Post
Michaux received 3 to 4 inches of wet snow, then a layer of sleet and freezing rain on top of that this past Saturday (21st), so unless your running ice screws it may be a while before it melts enough to go play in the slush. At least the temps are to get into the 40's over the next 10 days, so hopefully it will melt quickly.

Jeff (SoPaRider)
UGH.... yeh.. similar down here...
100% chance of freezing rain today.... bigass green/blue blob headed our way.

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 04:59 AM
Old 01-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #298
ktmdirtybiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Question Is it warm and rainy today

Hi to any mesho locals

Is it warm and rainy there today? I was wondering if the weather washed enough of the snow away to make it worthwhile to ride out there on saturday? On Tuesday I rode up near the AT in the Walnutport area and the snow was mostly gone, and was hoping the same was true out here.
Any thoughts would be helpful.
Thanks,mark
ktmdirtybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #299
JaxObsessed OP

Hi Welcome to the fun!
This from SoPaRider yesterday " The snow we got last weekend is just about gone"
You might want to PM him if you want to be sure of conditions.

Give us a lil fix and post some pix when you return!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #300
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

The weather was looking pretty nice for this weekend but now it looks pretty crappy, PM rain and snow showers predicted for both Saturday and Sunday with more of the same for next weekend. If anyone is available to ride during the week, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are to have temps in the upper 40's and lower 50's, Wednesday looks the best with temps ranging from 37 to 56 and only a 20% chance of precep, that's 33 degrees above our norms of 23 and 37! The snow is all but gone here in the valley and I would think most of it has melted in Michaux as well, but.... we've been getting a ton of rain and it will be a mud fest up there for quite a while yet. I've got a bald MT21 on the rear of my DR, but it won't stop me from riding, let me know if your interested.

Jeff (SoPaRider)

'96 DR350/441SET Hybrid
'07 wee-strom