ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #1936
dvwalker
Working to ride

Oddometer: 733
Custom POI Symbols

Assigning custom POI symbols is a completely different process than assigning custom Waypoint symbols. Of coarse, there's a couple tricks to enable this to function correctly on the Montana.

Tools:
- POI Loader v2.7 (Windows)
- Montana 650 fw:v3.68
- Paint.Net (used for creating/updating bitmap files)
  1. Download POI files (csv or gpx format) from your favorite POI website. I found it easier to group simular POI files together in the same directory on your PC because of how the POI loader program works.
  2. To assign a custom symbol to each POI file, download or create a bitmap file with the same name as the POI file. I found the bitsize must be 8 bits and less than 32x32 pixel size otherwise image does not display correctly on the map.
  3. Run POI Loader.exe program to send POI's to your Montana. Available from Garmin website.
  4. POI Loader will generate a Garmin formatted POI file in the \Garmin\poi folder. Due to a bug in POI Loader v2.7, you must rename the extension from ".poi" to ".gpi". Otherwise the POI's will not be loaded by the Montana. The bitmap image file(s) for your custom symbols will be included in the POI file. Note the waypoint image files located in your \Garmin\CustomSymbols are not used for POI's.
  5. Where To? application on the Montana should now have an Extras option along with your POI lists

6. The custom POI symbol should also be available on the map
dvwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1937
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Not sure how many here have tried to get custom waypoint and poi symbols working with BC and the Montana but it's a bit of a black art. I know I spent at least a couple hours decoding how this works, so thought I'd share my efforts. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in with more detail, but if I can save someone else a couple hours of trouble I think this topic is worthy of a post.
Great posts, Dale. Thanks!

Bill Murray screwed with this post 01-22-2012 at 06:40 PM Reason: Fix typo
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #1938
cablebandit
Web Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistn'roads View Post
I recently purchased a Montana 600 as a replacement for my aging 276c and I must say, I quite like it
I was able to set up a number of different moto profiles and even created one to look very much like my 276c display for route navigation.

~TR~
Care to share this profile? One other specific question. Your guidance text says "left on...." was this in an auto mount at the time? My guidance text has never mentioned a direction like left or right. It only says "to XXX blvd" etc.
IBA #33260
cablebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #1939
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvwalker View Post
Assigning custom POI symbols is a completely different process than assigning custom Waypoint symbols. Of coarse, there's a couple tricks to enable this to function correctly on the Montana.
Dale, Nice writeup on Custom POI's.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #1940
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Care to share this profile? One other specific question. Your guidance text says "left on...." was this in an auto mount at the time? My guidance text has never mentioned a direction like left or right. It only says "to XXX blvd" etc.
I would be happy to send you this profile. PM me your email address and I'll send you the file.

My Montana was not mounted at the time I took this screen capture. It was in simulation/demo mode. I do have a rugged mount on my bike but the weather here isn't conducive to real time moto testing.

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #1941
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistn'roads View Post
I would be happy to send you this profile. PM me your email address and I'll send you the file.

My Montana was not mounted at the time I took this screen capture. It was in simulation/demo mode. I do have a rugged mount on my bike but the weather here isn't conducive to real time moto testing.

~TR~
If you would like to share with us all you can use the shared Montana Dropbox account. PM for the details if you're interested.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #1942
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,028
Any 276c users now using the Montana ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #1943
Ronin120
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yes, I am. I have a 376C and just recently bought a Montana thinking it would be an ideal replacement in order to return the 376C to its marine usage. As a matter of fact, I'm trying to come up to speed right at this moment (Mac with Base Camp and Montana alongside a DOS machine with MapSource and the 376C) and am slowly realizing that I am really sorry I bought the Montana. WOFTAM.
Ronin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #1944
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Hmm, intresting. When you get to it, see if the Montana forces a recalc on all custom made uploaded routes. Some are or were hopefull this could fill the GPS brackets of the x76 units, the best units Garmin made to date.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #1945
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Yes. Have had a 276C since 2005 and bought a Montana before Christmas. That said, I haven't used it on the bike yet (it's that thing called winter); I'm just playing with it at home and in the car. I like it, though there's no substitute for on-bike use.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #1946
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I have used a 276c/376 for many years along with a zumo 550 and zumo 660. I wouldn't trade the Montana for 10 of each of the others. YMMV

As for Routing, there have been many discussion here regarding the current Montana code. The Montana does "calculate" all saved (imported) Routes based upon the data received. It may or may not be the same as you created on your Computer or some other GPS. If this is important to you, you can add additional viapoints/waypoints to your route so that any GPS could use it or stay with your old GPS as long as you don't want/need to share your Routes.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #1947
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yes. I typicaly build and follow long routes that consist of mapped and sometimes unmapped sections. The GPSMap units so far are the only ones capable of following such routes. They will not recalc imported routes they just follow them as I built it on my pc. I was hopeing the new Montana might do the same. Thanks for the insight fellas.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Old 01-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1948
Ronin120
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
DockingPilot, in response to your query I want to be careful about what I say on this thread because as it says next to my ID, I'm a NOOB and I do NOT want to start a flame war.

For me, the failure of Garmin's software to allow the user the ability to opt out of automatically recalculating a route is a complete deal-breaker and symbolizes what is going wrong with their offerings. That was available in the all the 176 through 400 series GPS units that Garmin made. It appears to be gone. I've had this unit for several weeks now and quite quickly realized that no matter how much time I spent laying out the ideal route to use in my rides it made no difference. The Montana simply "assumes" that the route should be recalculated. The user's choice is time versus distance and nothing more. One would ask the simple question of why bother spending that much time in Base Camp or MapSource in the first place if all one's effort is simply discarded.

There are many, many things about the software, and IMHO it is a software issue, that are so wrong with this unit. There are issues of machine/user interfacing that make the unit more cumbersome to use than previous Garmin units that juat have me shaking my head.

I don't say any of this lightly. I've been thinking about this for some time. I have been getting myself around the globe, wet parts and dry, for a long time. Ded reckoning, RDF, Loran, Transit and ultimately GPS. (Yes, I've read the comments about the "chartplotter" users...) And early on, before they were even thinking about non-maritime uses, I was an enthusiastic promoter of Garmin because although their hardware was not the greatest the software was well thought out and heuristic. Anyone could pick up one of their units and start to make their way. Recently that equation seems to have flipped.

Anyway, I am currently feeling really stupid trying to figure out how to add a VIA point to a route that I might be running and have it re-calculate on the fly. Are there instructions on how to do this that I am missing?

Best.
Ronin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #1949
Bill Murray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
I am a Zumo 550 user who is switching to the Montana. My Montana shipped today from GPSCity.com.

I am making the swicth, in part, because the Montana offers many of the features of the "classic" 276c/378/478 units. While I agree with what many here have noted about the Montana's (not desirable) forced recalc behavior, it was not a deal breaker for me. Hopefully Garmin will fix this in a future firmware update. Meanwhile, converting my planned Routes (planned on BaseCamp) to Tracks provides an adequate way of ensuring I have a routable trip that will not be altered by the Montana.

The Montana offers many significant improvements over my Zumo 550. I have already learned a lot, thanks to the many posts in this discussion, and especially those by Dan (DRTBYK) and Dale (dvwalker), and I am looking forward to learning much more.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #1950
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 377
Question What am I missing?

It would seem to me that it would be relatively simple for Garmin give users the ability to opt out of auto recalc.

Apparently this is not the case. Ok so what am I missing?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote