ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
antonac OP
Commuter

Oddometer: 323
Fighting a state trooper-issued speeding ticket

Hi all,

On my way north in Pennsylvania a few days ago, I was stopped after doing a claimed 80mph in a 65mph zone while passing someone on Rt 22 near Port Royal. I realize that this is deer country, but this section of highway has steep berms on either side and is actually lit by sodium lamps. The flow of traffic was 75mph, and I make it a point to go slightly faster than the flow - especially at night, because the KLR isn't exactly the most visible thing.

There's no prima facie for 'prudent' in Pennsylvania despite the fact that going that speed may have been reasonable for the conditions (which were clear but included a forecast winter weather advisory, making it a priority that I get to my destination hastily), so I'll assume that trying to argue the citation away is a non-starter.

What I am seeking advice on is the likelihood that in consideration of the fact that I was not actually sustaining this speed, was otherwise riding safely for the conditions, had a pressing need to reach my destination in the face of impending bad weather (which would likely quickly strand me), and have a fairly clean driving record for distance covered, that a traffic court would be willing to alter it to a non-point offense. I've never dealt with a speeding ticket before, nor the state police, so any experience you can share will be appreciated.

I don't currently have points on my license, and my only insured vehicles are two bikes. Whether I will own a car in the near future is uncertain, but I have no current plans to.

antonac screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 02:25 PM
antonac is offline   Reply With Quote