Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #6241
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
We ran into McFoil and his colorful crew at a Pemex near Queretaro. The seven beemers and KLR attracted mucho atencion.
"Colorful" is right!! How many riders attach there license plate like McFoil??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #6242
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Crime is so bad down here we had to pay for secure parking and BobC still had beers stolen from his ice chest! It's terrible down here. Terrible, I tell ya!

Oh, yeah. Thanks for the beers Bob!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #6243
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Once again, some of us are hating you guys ... ;)
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:16 AM   #6244
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
The seven beemers and KLR attracted mucho atencion.
It was the KLR, they do that when they are around BMW's.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #6245
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Now for some good news!

The Navy has just taken over the transito duties in Veracruz. Adios to the most corrupt bunch since the days of "El Negro" Durazo in Mexico City. The Mexican armed forces now control the police and traffic duties here along with help from the Federales and Federales de Caminos.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 AM   #6246
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Now for some good news!

The Navy has just taken over the transito duties in Veracruz. Adios to the most corrupt bunch since the days of "El Negro" Durazo in Mexico City. The Mexican armed forces now control the police and traffic duties here along with help from the Federales and Federales de Caminos.
Any word on Tampico? I am actually planning my trip south to make a wide berth of Tampico because of some experiences some of my friends have had there. One, who shall remain nameless, actually wound up handcuffed in the back of a truck before he was "released".
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #6247
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

As far as I know, Tampico has been problem free on the by pass road for the last travelers that were moving north to south and vice versa. No problems for any of them in Tampico.
The transitos in Tampico have been taken over by the Mexican army since the 7th of December, 2011.
A pair of Tampico transitos got busted by the Mexican army when they were telling motorists they had to have a special permit to circulate in the state of Tamaulipas if they are from outside the state. It was BS and they were arrested for it.
That was in December before the changeover.
All the transitos had to undergo mandatory anti-doping tests and the long list of complaints were being investigated.
I am not sure if the military are actually patrolling the streets as transito agents or whether the transito commanders have been replaced and the rank and file officers then are watched by the military. That could be what is happening.

Kurt, I were you, I wouldn't go out of your way to avoid Tampico, in fact, if you are really concerned still about your safety, wandering off the coast highway might not be your best idea if you don't know the roads, speak the language, understand what is happening locally, etc.... You can avoid Tampico if you want, but you'll be wasting time and money for the most part. Just take the by pass road, pay the tolls, and then head on south. PM me if you are coming through. I can give you some good ideas for riding south along with maps and pics etc...
Same offer always is open for everyone. If you have not ridden the mountains that make up the Tezuitlan Massif geological zone (from Naolinco to Ciudad Mendoza and then beyond) you have no idea of what you are missing. Along with the Serdan-Oriental high plains area. All of this is found parallel to and within 100kms or so of the Veracruz-Puebla border and has been largely unridden on a regular basis, even by locals. You can literally ride to two locations of 4,600 meters and spend time above 3,500 meters and all day above 2, 900 meters if you like. Paved, unpaved, and trail, no tricks, just good riding day after day after day after day after day...

Last Sunday, I did the ride to the Large Millimeter Telescope atop the Sierra Negra but the security gate was closed at 4,020 meters so we missed the last part and were not able to access the telescope, everything else was open and accessible from the road, the camping areas, the road to the climbers Alpine shelter on Pico de Orizaba etc... Really fun ride and you can PM me if you want pics. Riders can also reach the Cofre de Perote TV and cel towers installations on the top, that is around 4,500 meters. If you wanna get high, really high, come to Veracruz.

MikeMike screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 11:16 AM
Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #6248
BMW Kurt
Bluesman

Oddometer: 10,064
Mike, I've gotten over being concerned about safety. I'm more worried about my final drive giving out than I am Mexico. I would say I just want to avoid being hassled. Probably gonna happen, but just want to minimize it. Hablo un poco de Espanol. I have sketched out my route south and since you are so well acquainted with you or others may want to take a look at it and tell me if I'm going wrong or it is doable. But please don't think I'm trying to take advantage of you. I am taking libres and I am planning on about a week getting down.

1. Cross border on US 57 to MX 57 at Piedras Negras.
2. Continue south on MX 57 through Nava, Morelos, Allende, Nueva Rosita, Sabinas to Monclava.
3. Stay on MX 57 to Saltillo.
4. Continue on the MX 57 Libre to Matehuala.
5. In Matehuala take MX 61 to Doctor Arroyo.
6. In Doctor Arroyo take 88 towards Tula.
7. In Tula take 101 south. At the “T” turn towards Ciudad del Maiz.
8. Continue to Antiguo Morales.
9. In Antiguo Morales take MX 85 to Cd. Valles.
10. In Cd. Valles take MX 70 towards Tamuin to Ebano.
11. After Ebano take MX 105 through Panuco to Tempoal de Sanchez.
12. In Tempoal de Sanchez take MX 127 to El Alazan.
13. Take MX 130 towards Alamo and Tihuatlan.
14. Take MX 180 towards Vera Cruz. Stay on MX 180 all the way to Jaltiplan and La Venta.
15. In La Venta take the rural road towards Sanchez Magallanes.
16. Somehow get to Villahermosa and take MX 186 all the way to Chetumal.

Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands right now and I am sure I am over planning this trip.

Gracias!

BMW Kurt screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 03:12 PM
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #6249
mexipike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Mexico City Military

These guys seemed lost rolling around Mexico City!

BMW Kurt- I took the way from 57 through Piedras Negras to Matehuala and stayed on the cuota all the way to Mexico City without any problems. I'm not sure about the libres, but if i wasn't in such a hurry I probably would have taken them and not though twice about it. Good luck!
mexipike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #6250
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Crash!

Yes, for the second consecutive trip in two months, a member of our group crashed in Mexico.

A fairly spectacular low side plus flip, and the rider ejected.

Highway 175 between Oaxaca and Pto. Escondido.

Good news....rider OK, bike OK (scrapes)

I have a ton of GoPro video of this ride, but this crash occured when I moved the camera to the back of my bike.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #6251
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Puerto Escondido

We are here in Pto Escondido for tomorrow, a full day of off bike rest.

What a great town!!!!

My favorite beach town in Mexico so far.

Hip and funky, already made some excellent friends.

I am walking up a dirt alley off the main drag (Garden of Eden)..... Here comes Balloonman (Tom) in the dark. I do not say a word. First words out of his mouth.....are you Tricepilot?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #6252
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Split Coconut

Brad, owner of the Split Coconut in Pto Escondido, is the absolute BEST authority on music and cooking anywhere in the world. Originally from Atlanta, he is here now (16 years) and his place is across the street from Hotel Santa Fe.

Do NOT miss this hotel or the Split Coconut when you visit Pto. Escondido.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #6253
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Todos Sanrtos

Breakfast in Oaxaca and a walking tour of the city with Bob C. and Jimmex.

Wonderful ride (except for the crash) on 175 to the southern Pacific coast of Oaxaca state.

Malecon walk, sublime dinner, stars over the bay of Pto. Escondido.

We say NO military checkpoints from the border at Piedras Niegras (except for the one actually in Piedras Negras) to the very bottom of Mexico here on the beach at Pto. Escondido. (We did see some going northbound).

Lots of Policia Federal Preventiva. Nice guys. Very professional. Lots of Policia Estatal tambien.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #6254
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Miguelito

We checked in at the Rockaway Bar for Mike, but a little late. Will try again tomorrow night at 5.

Saw several bunches of groups of GS and KLRs so far. McFoil at a PEMEX and other 3 pair along our direction of travel, going in the opposite direction.

At the end of this week we should be knocking on the door of Guatemala.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #6255
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Yes, for the second consecutive trip in two months, a member of our group crashed in Mexico.

A fairly spectacular low side plus flip, and the rider ejected.

Highway 175 between Oaxaca and Pto. Escondido.

Good news....rider OK, bike OK (scrapes)

I have a ton of GoPro video of this ride, but this crash occured when I moved the camera to the back of my bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
We checked in at the Rockaway Bar for Mike, but a little late. Will try again tomorrow night at 5.

Saw several bunches of groups of GS and KLRs so far. McFoil at a PEMEX and other 3 pair along our direction of travel, going in the opposite direction.

At the end of this week we should be knocking on the door of Guatemala.
Glad he is ok and having fun...So how many miles have you guys be riding per day? mas o menos ?
Saludos ...Vayan con Dios

Bato screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 07:43 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote