Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #6256
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Who went down? Or is that a secret at this point?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #6257
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Who went down? Or is that a secret at this point?
Thought... it was him
??
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #6258
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
How are you guys feelin about the gulf coast? Should be coming through there in 2 weeks.. Is La Pesca worth checking out? I don't really want to spend much time on the toll road. Any spectacular suggestions?

From Matamoros to Oaxaca I don't really have a plan. MikeMike, I like the sound of these mountains you're talking about. Any more details??

Haven't been to P. Escondido in 2 years so I'll head there after Oaxaca. Just trying to fill in the blanks, which I'm sure won't be hard.
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #6259
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Thought... it was him
??
Not sure. Maybe we should send bandages
Old 01-25-2012, 05:28 AM   #6260
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Tengai, the Gulf Coast is fine. PM me if you want to meet up as I live here in Veracruz and have been for close to two decades but know the area since 1978.
You will miss some very good riding if you stick only to the coast highway. If you have to ride the coast highway
south of Tuxpan, I can show you the one good ride it offers which takes you to Roca Partida and Montepio the back way into Catemaco. The rest of the gulf coast highway is sheer boredom save for a half an hour in the Tuxtlas.

BMW Kurt, my suggestion is as above. Get off the coast highway. In fact, the route you are taking, Kurt, will put you close enough to some very good riding. Both of you guys should, at the very least, head inland from Vega De Alatorre to Colipa and then up to El Nueve and do the Misantla highway of the clouds to Naolinco and then back down to Xalapa and back to the coast. A little detour of about 4 hours that will give you only a little taste of what is available here in the mountains that are off the coast highway.

The single biggest mistake riders make coming through Veracruz is to take the coast highway number 180.
If you want maps and pics and routing, PM me. You have not ridden eastern Mexico until you ride the mountains on the Veracruz - Puebla border.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #6261
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 194
Oaxaca 175 or 131 to PE

Trice-sorry to hear about the crashiones. Is 175 the better than 131? We've been told 131 is rough and avoid it like bird flu. Good times were had by all in Puebla. Broken hearts and mucho dinero were left behind. We are doing our part to support the local economy. We will not be in PE before you guys take off south. Oaxaca here we come.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #6262
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Bob C. broke traction on the rear wheel of his GS on sand and loose stuff in a curve. He wasnt going that fast at all. I and Schizzman were right behind him. He shook it all off, picked up his bike and rode on. He is an Ironman.

To watch is all happen and now remember it is like thinking about it in slow motion. How that big GS can flip and land like that, and then have virtually no damage is amazing.

Bob feels fine, rode long and hard after his biff, and we are all enjoying a day off the bikes here in lovely Pto Escondido
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #6263
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Trice-sorry to hear about the crashiones. Is 175 the better than 131? We've been told 131 is rough and avoid it like bird flu.
Jimmex was leading at that junction and picked 175. I think he would say the same thing about 131.

Know that 175 is not in the greatest of shape and there are many spots of potholes and loose stuff.

You can still move along at a pretty good clip, but dont get surprised going fast in a corner and find your tires skipping over some rumbles.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #6264
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Glad he is ok and having fun...So how many miles have you guys be riding per day? mas o
San Antonio via Piedras Negras to Saltillo

Saltillo to San Miguel de Allende

San Miguel to Oaxaca

Oaxaca to Pto Escondido
Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 AM   #6265
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Jimmex was leading at that junction and picked 175. I think he would say the same thing about 131.

Know that 175 is not in the greatest of shape and there are many spots of potholes and loose stuff.

You can still move along at a pretty good clip, but dont get surprised going fast in a corner and find your tires skipping over some rumbles.
Several turns were so rough I scraped both left and right pegs at the same time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM   #6266
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Not sure. Maybe we should send bandages
Maybe just some more pryers (on the way)

Quote:
San Antonio via Piedras Negras to Saltillo

Saltillo to San Miguel de Allende

San Miguel to Oaxaca

Oaxaca to Pto Escondido
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #6267
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Several turns were so rough I scraped both left and right pegs at the same time.
You are kidding me ...
Old 01-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #6268
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Sounds like you are carrying too much luggage and need to lose some weight. Especially if things are dragging on a straight road.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #6269
WhiskeySmith
Lucky to be alive

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Bob C. broke traction on the rear wheel of his GS on sand and loose stuff in a curve. He wasnt going that fast at all. I and Schizzman were right behind him. He shook it all off, picked up his bike and rode on. He is an Ironman.

To watch is all happen and now remember it is like thinking about it in slow motion. How that big GS can flip and land like that, and then have virtually no damage is amazing.

Bob feels fine, rode long and hard after his biff, and we are all enjoying a day off the bikes here in lovely Pto Escondido
Glad to hear that Bob and bike are okay. Did the cerveza in the cooler survive?
WhiskeySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #6270
AK Smitty
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 314
Heading to Mainland Feb 10

I just finished my two week ride in Baja. Bike is stored and Cabo and I head back to it on Feb 8. I was originally planning to ride to Panama but now realize that there is so much to see in Mexico that I may just ride Mex for my entire month off.

I have no real plan yet except to sail on Feb 10th and then head east from Mazatlan to the moutains. PM or me reply back if you are interested in a ride in Feb!! I would do more planning but I left all my notes in storage with my bike in Cabo. Idiot!! Oh well the best plan can be no plan at all!!

Mexico is dangerous from what I saw another ADV rider I met alomost choked on the lime in his beer!!!
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote