ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #76
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 974
woohoo

It's great to be back on two wheels; a month can be forever sometimes...thanks all.

Stosh, sounds like you purchased something? pics/link?

Here is a bit of a report, a few pics, and some video from yesterday:

I didn't speak up on this thread, mostly for fear of jinxing myself. For those who don't know, then I broke my right clavicle in two a month ago, and only began riding again last week. OBDR is next week, and both the bike and I needed to get out for at least one shakedown ride.

Tricia and I rode out through Middle Fork Snoqualmie on Saturday, 140 or so miles, and everything felt good, despite the bike seeming really tired once or twice.

Sunday morning dawned, and I fell out of the warm bed, slammed some cold coffee from the day before, and took inventory. The vitals were packed, tank full, destination in mind. Brush the teeth, drink gatorade, get on bike and ride.

The meeting point, Duvall Cafe, was interesting...I seem to remember the food being better on previous visits. At any rate, the DR-Z arrived with me still astride, we parked, and I walked in. There's only one real table there for motorcyclists, and that's the large round one in the rear.

Introductions all around, breakfast, a bit of bench-racing and discussion about potential new bikes, scooter riders, etc. Before I knew it, then there were 6 riders, but no Stosh, and it was time to pay the bill and get down to having fun.

With gentry and his "save $100 in Touratech cash gps mount" in the lead, the Duvall traffic was navigated, and we were off. A quick turn on to Cherry Valley, a few miles of slab w/ some fun turns to shake the Duvall Cafe remnants around, and the group arrived intact at the trailhead.

We spent about 10 minutes airing down tires, bench-racing, and wondering if it was going to actually rain a bit. There was a 40% chance of something coming down, and with the recent dearth of precipitation to keep the dust down, then I could almost hear rain-dances being played in peoples heads.

So, down the initial fireroad the group commenced, until an intersection of sorts was reached. A decision was made, and I took off in the lead this time. A couple of looks back along the way, all is good, riders still behind me. The road narrowed down, turned into a bumpy and washed trail, and I could no longer safely look back....after another mile then another major intersection appeared, so I stopped.

3 minutes go by, noone appeared....I turn around, ride a couple minutes back, and there they are, waiting for me, thanks guys. Seems like I had blown past the intended road....With Chad again in the lead, then we blasted through fun open roads another ways, into a really fun section with predictable whoops and a bit of jumping.

Just prior to a turn into the forest, we came upon a stranded vehicle. The Cherokee driver had apparently blown a tire, and then ridden a quad back to civilation for a spare....nice work, except for the fact that the @!#$ had chosen to leave his quad right in the middle of the trail, just over a rise.

Around the deficit we all went, then down a trail underneath the tree canopy. Mmmm, mud and roots, about time something meaningful showed it's head. gentry still in the lead, we traveled a bit underneath, having fun and roosting around, the bikes seemingly directing us more than the other way around. After a bit then a stop at a nice clearing was made, water downed, tires checked, and we were off into more of the same.

Oh, I neglected to mention another "local" that we encountered....he had been driving an older Ford Bronco, in the middle of nowhere, off-trail, and was firmly high-centered. He requested a ride back to town from one of us, and immediately received direction to the Cherokee driver a few hundreds yards back. There were subsequently all sort of good suggestions about helping the Bronco along while the driver was absent.

Back out of the canopy we rode, and then along several fun higher-speed fireroads, stopping at various viewpoints and intersections, until we arrived at another interesting small open area. There was a nice steep hill, a side rutted-to-hell one, a banked semi-circle, and more.

Lacey wasted no time in charging up the steepest hill, making it look less inclined than it was...the downward portion, also. The rest of us commentated, milled around and drew straws, with a couple more brave souls charging up and down.

Lacey Ascent
Hell No!

gentry charging down

It was approaching time to head back, so we vacated the playground area. There was more riding along the fire roads, a few decisions, and we were 20 feet from the primary road. Unfortunately, it was an obstructed 20 feet, and given that our primary entry was on an ungated road, then we were a bit puzzled by the lack of available egress. Things weren't helped along by the fact that at least one rider hadn't fully fueled up before heading out that morning.....screw it, other bikes had gas, someone had a camelbak drinking tube, and there was plenty of daylight.

Hmmm, the gps's are consulted, another path chosen, and off the group went. Hmmm, same result, gated. Eventually we made out way out of the area with everything in one piece.

Stopping at the entrance/exit area, the decision was made to find some good grub and gas up, so back to Duvall it was.

Someone mentioned Jaspers, and were were almost immediately there. It felt incredibly good to relax in the early afternoon after a half-days riding, eating bbq and sucking down cold water, bs'ing about this and that. I've really missed riding, and everything that goes with it.

Another hour or so, and it was time to head out. G'day's all around, thanks again, and hope to see you on Sep 17th for Duvall III, ride safe.

bluesurf screwed with this post 08-29-2005 at 05:15 PM
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #77
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Great fun everyone; let's do more of it. There's and adventure around every corner. Here are a few pics....until next time....You never know who you'll meet out on the trail. Just click on the thumbnail.

The ride sure helped out my ailing overworked attitude....just what I needed. There's no elixir like "adventure".

CascadeThumper screwed with this post 08-29-2005 at 08:21 PM Reason: for fun
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 07:47 PM   #78
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Hell no! I say. Superhero statis shot to hell. No gas and no balls, WTF was I thinking? I shall avenge myself. Duvall III, not far away.

Lacey, I'd do the hill on my mountain bike, , guess I'll have to strap it to the KLR.

Dear diary: today I was a pussy, but the bike still looks good. Vanity sucks.
a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:32 PM   #79
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by a16tony
Hell no! I say. Superhero statis shot to hell. No gas and no balls, WTF was I thinking? I shall avenge myself. Duvall III, not far away.

Lacey, I'd do the hill on my mountain bike, , guess I'll have to strap it to the KLR.

Dear diary: today I was a pussy, but the bike still looks good. Vanity sucks.

That's alright... "The Red Rider" showed us all up.....

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #80
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Oddometer: 3,136
Thanks for the write up James.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:34 PM   #81
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
Thanks for the write up James.

Did you get a new bike, or was you keepin up with them on the pig?

BTW, looks like a fun time.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 AM   #82
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Quote:
Originally Posted by a16tony
I shall avenge myself. Duvall III, not far away.
+1....seeya on the 17th.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:38 AM   #83
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothygrin
Did you get a new bike, or was you keepin up with them on the pig?
I tried to keep up with those guys but you know, the pig just has it's limits. I'm glad they did not get any of the pictures of me and the bike going off the road. Thank god for center stand skid plates.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #84
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Link to the rest of the pics.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:42 AM   #85
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSguy
I tried to keep up with those guys but you know, the pig just has it's limits. I'm glad they did not get any of the pictures of me and the bike going off the road. Thank god for center stand skid plates.
I don't know Dale- I picture I just saw looks like your front in down pretty far.

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #86
GSguy
Here's a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
I don't know Dale- I picture I just saw looks like your front in down pretty far.
I have to admit, that picture of the gs finding an alternative route (you like how I avoid saying geting aroung the gate) is the most I've done with that bike so far. When we were doing that I pictured geting over the hump to the point of no return and hearing Chad yell good luck sucker and Lacey following up with, Dale I lost my grip