Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #46
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I always lick mine when putting them in -
+1 a quick lick and they slide right in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #47
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,521
I can confirm

I replaced my ER6i's with a pair or the HF5's. I've worn them on all day rides, two week trips, daily use on my bicycle commute, and they fit fine under both the dirt and full face helmets, and sound great. The cord is way more durable than the ER6i's. The filters are different than the ER6i's, so if you've stocked up, you'll take a hit. Also, I wasn't able to find aftermarket filters like you could with the ER6i's.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #48
Brunssd
Potemkin villager

Oddometer: 349
I have a pair of Shure SE102's that are bulletproof but I'm less than enamored of the sound quality. They lack much bass response at all. Useful for listening to podcasts but not much fun for music. A pair of $10 Sony buds have better sound. So I've ordered a pair from this outfit

http://www.earfuze.com/

the motorsports version. Included is some sort of goop to make your own molded earpieces. And for only $50. Wonderful though they may be, if I showed up with a $350 set of earbuds, I bet my KLR would refuse to start out of embarrassment. Haven't got them yet but when I do I'll pass along what I've learned even if it is just "don't waste your money"

Brunssd screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 12:10 PM
Brunssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #49
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

I have two sets of the ER6is. And yes, they're certainly not bad in the comfort category, my Ear.inc. (not the same place as the guy who goes by "Ear, Inc." at rallies) custom earbuds are even more comfortable and still isolate 29-30dB. I keep the ER6i's in my tankbag as a backup, but since getting my custom monitors, I haven't used the ER6is.
I tried custom molded ear plugs (no audio), made at the BMW rally in TN a couple of years ago by these guys: http://www.britears.com/. Seems like the same company?

To be fair, they did say that making them on-site would result in slightly stiffer product, and the softer molds would be better but would take a couple of weeks. I took the on-the-spot, cheaper option and was never happy with them. They would often become leaky during a ride, not all that comfortable, and are quite stiff and hard to insert and remove. Others here on this forum have said to wear the helmet while the mold is curing, which I didn't.

So, given that my experience may be a get-what-you-paid-for outcome, can anyone confirm that the better molds are relatively soft, and tend to seal even over a range of temps - from cold to hot and humid?
Old 12-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #50
kawalaser
Hip to be square

Oddometer: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
I replaced my ER6i's with a pair or the HF5's. I've worn them on all day rides, two week trips, daily use on my bicycle commute, and they fit fine under both the dirt and full face helmets, and sound great. The cord is way more durable than the ER6i's. The filters are different than the ER6i's, so if you've stocked up, you'll take a hit. Also, I wasn't able to find aftermarket filters like you could with the ER6i's.
I am 90% about to return these MC5's for the HF5 particularly if I can get a good deal on an open box pair. After giving the MC5s a chance to burn in, then listening to both sets of buds today, the ER6 is simply in a different league. I believe the MC5s moving coil construction is inferior technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednas
I will never sink to the level of stealing from the homeless.

kawalaser screwed with this post 12-10-2011 at 02:16 PM
kawalaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #51
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post

FWIW, I loved the ER6i buds but they would get very uncomfortable when used on long rides. Anybody tried these Klipsch units?

IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones
I like them, they're a dynamic driver rather than armature, so they have the bass they should have.

FWIW I've had the SE105, the 210, the 420, and the 530 (predecessors to the current Shure line, but essentially the same). 530's were hard to fit under a helmet, and the 210's had pretty weak bass. The S4 sounded better than both (on a bike, in motion, behind a windscreen). I still have the 210 and 530.

You get better isolation with the Shure three-flange tips than the Klipsch two-flange, but I think I can swap one in with minor surgery (and I have spares).

For me, at least, low end is what gets drowned out the most on a bike, and while the bass of the SE530s is good, it just isn't good enough.

Plus, the s4's are cheap enough that I don't worry that I'll destroy them commuting/travelling like I worried with the 530's.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #52
runpasthefence
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post
FWIW, I loved the ER6i buds but they would get very uncomfortable when used on long rides. Anybody tried these Klipsch units?

IMAGE S4 In-Ear Enhanced Bass Noise-Isolating Headphones

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-...3465039&sr=1-3
My girlfriend and I both had the Klipsch S4s between the two of us we went through 3 pair in about 6-8 months. The just couldn't stand up to using them at the gym and on the bike. Plus, I didn't think they fit all that well under a helmet. They would often fall out while putting on/taking my helmet off...which got annoying.

I've moved to Westone. I'm hard on shit. These take it, fit well, and sound great.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #53
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578 View Post
I tried custom molded ear plugs (no audio), made at the BMW rally in TN a couple of years ago by these guys: http://www.britears.com/. Seems like the same company?

To be fair, they did say that making them on-site would result in slightly stiffer product, and the softer molds would be better but would take a couple of weeks. I took the on-the-spot, cheaper option and was never happy with them. They would often become leaky during a ride, not all that comfortable, and are quite stiff and hard to insert and remove. Others here on this forum have said to wear the helmet while the mold is curing, which I didn't.

So, given that my experience may be a get-what-you-paid-for outcome, can anyone confirm that the better molds are relatively soft, and tend to seal even over a range of temps - from cold to hot and humid?
They're not the same company, but look like a distributor for them.

If you're wanting to order from these people and not the link I posted, here's the link to the monitors I have.

http://www.britears.com/new_page_72.htm

They're soft and very comfortable. Took about two to three weeks to be delivered.

And in order to remember which one goes in what ear more quickly. I ordered each earpiece in a different color.

Red for Right and black for left.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #54
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Another ER6i dood here with a fray-ing cable to 1 earbud. Bought em in '06 so they have some miles on em but I'm too cheep to git more $$$$$ units. I may try glopping some sugru on em.

So 2 pairs of $14.99 Sennheiser CX200s are on their way from these guys. We shall see...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rp.-_-26106241
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #55
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
So 2 pairs of $14.99 Sennheiser CX200s are on their way from these guys. We shall see...
Those will be comfortable, but they won't be noise reducing like the Etymotics. I like the lighter-weight plugs for commuting because they are easier to put in. They certainly aren't comparable, though.
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #56
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
Another ER6i dood here with a fray-ing cable to 1 earbud. Bought em in '06 so they have some miles on em but I'm too cheep to git more $$$$$ units. I may try glopping some sugru on em.

Let us know if the tips from ER-6i's fit onto the Sennheiser? i use the triple flange smalls, which do most of the heavy lifting when it comes to isolation (unless there are open ports out the back of the earbud?).
Old 01-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #57
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,853
Well dangit! My ER6i's bit the dust today. Happened at the 1/8" plug. I bought a new plug, stripped the wires in order to fix it. Even w/ the small diameter wire, I managed to solder it up. Worked fine until i try to put the connector together.
Decided to abandon surgery and get a new pair (of something). I loved the sound of the Etymotics. Guess I'll give the HF5's a shot.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #58
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Well dangit! My ER6i's bit the dust today. Happened at the 1/8" plug. I bought a new plug, stripped the wires in order to fix it. Even w/ the small diameter wire, I managed to solder it up. Worked fine until i try to put the connector together.
Decided to abandon surgery and get a new pair (of something). I loved the sound of the Etymotics. Guess I'll give the HF5's a shot.
Same here. Mine died last week and was going to repair them. Stripped the wires then had to abort. I'm in a state of shock. I feel like a dumbass for not picking up a spare when they were on sale last year.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #59
John Smallberries OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
eBay no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Same here. Mine died last week and was going to repair them. Stripped the wires then had to abort. I'm in a state of shock. I feel like a dumbass for not picking up a spare when they were on sale last year.
I checked eBay this morning and there was only one set up for bids - and they didn't work properly!! Nothing on Amazon either.

Looks like the end of the ER6i is finally here.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #60
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,330
I wonder why Etymotic stopped production of such a popular product
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote