ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 525
NW KTM LC4/LC8 Adventure Ride 9/24-26 !!

I just bumped into this on the NMA Offroad site. http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news/NWKTMAdventureRide.pdf

Is anybody else aware of this event? Kudos to KTM for hosting such an event, but I must say how disappointed I am that the entire 3-day route is on PAVED roads. They do mention an off-road option on one section of one of the three days, but does that really make for an adventure ride?

I've got mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I think it will be important for all of us LC4/LC8 owners to be there and show KTM we want these kinds of events in our own backyard. What an opportunity!! On the other hand, do I really want to spend three days on my LC4 on paved roads??!!

This is also the same weekend as the Cycoactive/Touratech GPS ride which is much more of an adventure ride than this.

I wonder if it's too late to talk the organizers into a few route modifications?

dirtyboy screwed with this post 08-18-2005 at 04:59 PM Reason: more info
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,292
the cycoactive/TT ride is the 10th and 11th of September

"It's that time again! The CycoActive/Touratech-USA 4th annual GPS Ride has
been scheduled for the weekend of September 10th and 11th.

If you haven't been on the GPS Ride before, see the link below for more
information. Basically, it's a self-led two-day ride through the Washington
Cascades, routed to best accommodate the big dual-sports: BMW GS, KTMs,
V-stroms, KLRs, etc.. At the end of day 1, after the GPS has led us all to
a remote campsite, you'll be welcomed by food, cold beverages (and your
faster friends).

Hopefully the fires in Eastern Washington will be under control by then, but
if things worsen we may have to reschedule. Heavy rains (seems unlikely)
would also postpone the ride.

I'll be sending another email soon with additional details, how to RSVP, and
where to download the routes."

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie

Thanks for correcting me on the dates. I tried to check their website but it's not posted there and was going off memory (should know better). Maybe I'm thinking of the Duvall Zone ride???
Old 08-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
gs dakar
live to ride

Oddometer: 167
the duval zone ride is tentatively scheduled for sat sept 17th...more to follow.

the TT ride is awesome......We should be coming off of the OBDR ride on that fri/sat and plan on heading right into the TT ride.....sore ass for sure.....9 days in the saddle.....
gs dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyboy
Kudos to KTM for hosting such an event, but I must say how disappointed I am that the entire 3-day route is on PAVED roads.
Yeah... that'll be a hoot.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

Oddometer: 245
So, per their ad:
"...starting in Bremerton then heading east over North Cascades Highway thru Winthrop.Proceeding south for some off-road fun near Cle Elum and over Mount Rainier before finishing up with a stop at Mount Saint Helens."

So, go over N Cascades to Twisp, then jump off onto forest roads down to Lk Chelan (reverse last years Touratech GPS route), then forest roads over to the Entiat, forest roads up to Entiat Summit road, down to Cashmere, then follow the year befores Touratech GPS route on forest roads up onto Table Mtn and down to Cle Elum. Forest roads up over Taneum/Manastash down to Naches, then more forest roads continuing south to Hwy 12, slab over White Pass, duck south at Packwood on FR-20 and loop around St Helens off-slab. Meet up with the Slab-Heads at night and show 'em what mud and dust looks like on a big ol' bad ass'd KaTuM.

Quote:
I just bumped into this on the NMA Offroad site. http://www.nmaoffroad.org/news/NWKTMAdventureRide.pdf

Is anybody else aware of this event? Kudos to KTM for hosting such an event, but I must say how disappointed I am that the entire 3-day route is on PAVED roads. They do mention an off-road option on one section of one of the three days, but does that really make for an adventure ride?

I've got mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I think it will be important for all of us LC4/LC8 owners to be there and show KTM we want these kinds of events in our own backyard. What an opportunity!! On the other hand, do I really want to spend three days on my LC4 on paved roads??!!

This is also the same weekend as the Cycoactive/Touratech GPS ride which is much more of an adventure ride than this.

I wonder if it's too late to talk the organizers into a few route modifications?
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

That'll screw with your eyesight... let me try that again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
So, per their ad:
"...starting in Bremerton then heading east over North Cascades Highway thru Winthrop.Proceeding south for some off-road fun near Cle Elum and over Mount Rainier before finishing up with a stop at Mount Saint Helens."

So, go over N Cascades to Twisp, then jump off onto forest roads down to Lk Chelan (reverse last years Touratech GPS route), then forest roads over to the Entiat, forest roads up to Entiat Summit road, down to Cashmere, then follow the year befores Touratech GPS route on forest roads up onto Table Mtn and down to Cle Elum. Forest roads up over Taneum/Manastash down to Naches, then more forest roads continuing south to Hwy 12, slab over White Pass, duck south at Packwood on FR-20 and loop around St Helens off-slab. Meet up with the Slab-Heads at night and show 'em what mud and dust looks like on a big ol' bad ass'd KaTuM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
So, per their ad:

I was kinda thinkin' the same thing. We can get some orange Krylon for the KLR, think anyone would notice?
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
if nothing else I'll hit the skagit power sport BBQ, if I'm in town, this ride goes within a couple miles of me
Old 08-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

The way Kawasaki is going, they oughta be producing an orange KLR in about five years! Orange with neon pink highlights.

Quote:
I was kinda thinkin' the same thing. We can get some orange Krylon for the KLR, think anyone would notice?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie

Updated info on the ride

I just spoke to Bill Macdonald at Procaliber Motorsports in Vancouver, WA, he is organizing this event. Bill told me that there will be plenty of dirt riding opportunities each day. The flyer outline is really just a suggested route, but depending on who shows up and what their riding interests are we can make whatever adjustments we want. I guess the only part that can't be modified is the start/end points for each day.

There will be a 100 mile route laid out in the Belfair/Tahuya area on day 1, and something similar on day 2 in Skagit/Walker Valley area, and then there is plenty of dirt on the way over to Winthrop and then to Cle Elum. Or we can create our own variations. So those of us who like dirt should have plenty of opportunity to explore and get "dirty".

All of us PNW LC4 and LC8 riders should really make an effort to show up for this, even if you can't make the entire ride. The goal here is to get the national KTM Adventure Raid here in WA/OR within the next couple of years. For those not in the know, last year it was held in Idaho and this year it was in Ouray, CO.

Giddyup!