Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #841
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Deal's Gap resort has a booth at DC and talked with Battley (or motus direct) and they were told in the range of $28k. I'll wait for official numbers, but at least the industry rumors are looking a little more correct. Is that the 'R" model or base? Don't know.

I was REALLY hoping for something closer to the low $20k's for me to be able to swing it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #842
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
The goal is to meet emissions without a cat. As of last fall, they're on track to do so.

Well that's good. Hope they can pull it off.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #843
cccbarkbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Yep! Close to 30k leaves me dreaming. Can put a lot of tires and parts on my Uly for a long time but only half the power sigh! Plus its gotta compete with my need to replace an aging car.
08 Buell Uly XB12xt
78 BMW R100rs (sold 3/13/11)
04 KTM200exc 09 Kawasaki Versys(daughters)

cccbarkbuster screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 09:49 AM
cccbarkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #844
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Let's see at $28K you could buy a K1600GT that has 6 cylinders and driveshaft and money left for gas,tires insurance or 2 Honda ST1300 with V4 and driveshaft...I think the MOTUS could have had a chance for $18K max but at 28K even the most hardcore die-hards will pass...
Especially were the days are long over to re-mortgage your house for a cheap motorcycle loan...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #845
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,714
For a low production figure bike, the 28k tag is a bargain.
The people who will have to have one before anyone else so they can add it to their collection or just be seen on it are not the same folks trying to squeeze their budget to buy one.

The first run of these will go to a segment of the market not populated by average joes.

Whatever it takes to help get Motus off the ground, I say. I don't have to be first.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #846
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I would absolutely love to have one. $28,000 is out of my realm of possibility however. Doesn't matter if it is worth it or even a bargain.

Hopefully they will be cheaper or get cheaper.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #847
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer-lust View Post
Let's see at $28K you could buy a K1600GT that has 6 cylinders and driveshaft and money left for gas,tires insurance or 2 Honda ST1300 with V4 and driveshaft...I think the MOTUS could have had a chance for $18K max but at 28K even the most hardcore die-hards will pass...
Especially were the days are long over to re-mortgage your house for a cheap motorcycle loan...
Yes, we get it, you don't like Motus and only BMW makes what you would ride. You have been banging that drum in this thread forever...trying to compare the luxo-boat 750lbs+(dry) bike to a 530lbs(wet) Motus is laughable. Some people actually want a light sport touring rig that is comfortable.

$28k and they will sell all of the 200 per year target bikes (lots of reservations and some alotmets are already sold out at some dealers). For $20k they would have been able to sell much more per year and I would have had one in my garage.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #848
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
I would absolutely love to have one. $28,000 is out of my realm of possibility however. Doesn't matter if it is worth it or even a bargain.

Hopefully they will be cheaper or get cheaper.
+1

And hopefully they will be around for a long time either way.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #849
Boxer-lust
Banned

Oddometer: 528
Kirb,I'm one of the people that want a light sport-touring that is comfortable...
The Motus is not light and ridicolously expensive...
For that price it needs lots of dealers,needs to be proven,should have the latest technolgy like ABS/TC,needs a clean shaft or belt and needs to be lighter...
For 28K a few excentrics and rich collectors might buy the first 200 examples but to make it a success it takes a more convincing product and 10 grand of m.s.r.p.
It is up against bikes like K1300S,K1600GT,R1200RT,VFR1200,ST1300,ZX14Concours ,Multistrada1200...tough competition and a tough economic climate.
Don't shoot the messenger...
Boxer-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #850
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Kirb,I'm one of the people that want a light, cheap sport-touring that is comfortable...
Fixed.

Quote:
This one is for people who are comfortable with a chain, are quite happy to forgo ABS and traction control, like to tweak their suspensions by hand, and have some play money stashed that they'd rather spend in the showroom than the workshop.

For sure, a rare breed.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 AM   #851
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Fixed.

This one is for people who are comfortable with a chain, are quite happy to forgo ABS and traction control, like to tweak their suspensions by hand, and have some play money stashed that they'd rather spend in the showroom than the workshop.

For sure, a rare breed.
Well, they're a rare breed on message boards, anyway. I know probably a dozen guys who want a Motus and see the price as an afterthought. They only need to know so they can write the check.
Whether it debuts as a perfect machine or not, and whether the price comes down or not, I don't think they'll have a problem selling their initial run. Succeeding runs may up the production and make the economy of scale better, bringing msrp down. But, they may find that they like this pricepoint and buyer base of well heeled consumers. Why get in the mud and fight with Honda buyers at the 15k mark? Why bother to duke it out with BMW, who have succeeded in creating a faithful customer base, as seen above?
I think we all know enthusiasts who buy MV product and other premium price point models simply because they can.
Besides, 28k for a motorcycle like this (low production, first run, fast, good handling, etc) is really not that big of a deal when most of us have the ability to buy an SUV that stickers for $42k or more. Even the quite pedestrian Ford Explorer is in that territory now with Acura and Lexus.
If you ride every day, and you're gonna continue that trend for some time, 28k isn't that much money for your daily. It certainly isn't excessive for the privilege of owning and riding one of the first Moti in the world.

It basically amounts to taking a new WeeStrom and running it off a cliff every year for four years. There are more people who can do that than you might think.

kraven screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 06:12 AM
kraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #852
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
It basically amounts to taking a new WeeStrom and running it off a cliff every year for four years. There are more people who can do that than you might think.
Yep. And they're not wealthy financiers, retired pro athletes, lottery winners, etc....

I know plenty of guys around here, who work for either Freightliner or Duke Power, who live in 4000+ square foot houses, and have a $35k bass boat with a $45k diesel truck to pull it. But they probably wouldn't buy any motorcycle for $28k unless it was a CVO Harley (which they probably already have; maybe even two of 'em). But they could buy it if they wanted to.

When it comes to discretionary spending, what people say they can afford is often determined by what they want, and how badly they want it.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #853
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Kirb,I'm one of the people that want a light sport-touring that is comfortable...
The Motus is not light and ridicolously expensive...
For that price it needs lots of dealers,needs to be proven,should have the latest technolgy like ABS/TC,needs a clean shaft or belt and needs to be lighter...
For 28K a few excentrics and rich collectors might buy the first 200 examples but to make it a success it takes a more convincing product and 10 grand of m.s.r.p.
It is up against bikes like K1300S,K1600GT,R1200RT,VFR1200,ST1300,ZX14Concours ,Multistrada1200...tough competition and a tough economic climate.
Don't shoot the messenger...
The MST is a sport touring rig that comes in under 560lbs, has 160+HP, fuel capacity, comfortable for two, and factory bags. 560lbs wet weight is not light? You are insane. Tool around on your beloved K16 or even the FJR I have...they are piggy by comparison. 'feels light despite it's weight' is still heavy.

I'll bet you $100 they are successful for at least 5 years. You in? This debate is easily settled with a hundo.

You keep trying to put it up against other bikes. That is why you just don't get it, should move along, and don't worry your BMW brain about why anyone would want one. The fact that it's US made will score many of the sales alone. The fact that it shares muscle car roots, designed by RIDERS, and has everything that a lot of people want (and a bunch of crap people DON'T want) will fill in the rest.

MFGs have not been HEARING riders. The VFR1200 is a perfect example of a good idea totally screwed up because they didn't LISTEN to what riders wanted and sales sucked because of it. It doesn't do ANYTHING well. Motus actually took in questions early on and helped develop the bike around what people wanted.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #854
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,349
I'm astounded Motus is able to offer their bike at $28k.

For an exclusive low production bike fitted with high end components and technology, that's a bargain.

They'll sell eveything they can make.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #855
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
You keep trying to put it up against other bikes. That is why you just don't get it, should move along, and don't worry your BMW brain about why anyone would want one.
Gotta circle the wagons around the roundel.
Lots of BMW riders for years have maintained that they ride the brand because it offers the best engineering and final product. The only argument against Motus is price. The engineering really highlights how disingenuous the previous claims of impartial and rational choices were.

We all knew it was bullshit anyway. We just have a measuring stick for guys like that now.

They move the goalpost to "for the money." They claim the engineering is crap or inferior.

Most of us see that for what it is and mentally turn the volume down on them.

I would like to see someone put up a Hundo on the BMW side against the Motus. I'd like to invite that guy to play some poker too.