User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #841
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Subframe bolt upgrade

Ok. So I got the subframe bolts from EagleMike and I must say he was quick with the shipping and all the items I ordered from him came together.
All top quality stuff.
I did the drill through upgrade.
My question is this:
Should I have used grease on the bolts and in the frame?
If yes, what kind of grease?
I sent Mike an e-mail, but it's the weekend and I don't expect him to get back to me til Monday.
I want to take the bike out today and tomorrow, but I don't want to put it back together til I know if I should grease everything.
Anyone?
RandoCommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #842
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 771
I did the EM bolt upgrades too and didn't grease them. I don't remember if the instructions mentioned greasing them but if EM doesn't say "grease the bolt" in his instruction I gotta believe it's not necessary. That's my thought process anyway.

I've heard Mike will answer his phone most Saturdays if you're in a hurry to find out his opinion...
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #843
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I did the EM bolt upgrades too and didn't grease them. I don't remember if the instructions mentioned greasing them but if EM doesn't say "grease the bolt" in his instruction I gotta believe it's not necessary. That's my thought process anyway.

I've heard Mike will answer his phone most Saturdays if you're in a hurry to find out his opinion...
Yeah. My instructions didn't say to grease anything.
But I did notice there seemed to be some grease in the small upper bolts before I drilled through.
I really don't wanna bother Mike on a Saturday with something that isn't that important.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #844
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post

It's not a requirement and not in the directions. But, grease it as it will provide a little less friction but won't hurt anything at all if it makes you feel better. Then get it together and GO RIDE.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #845
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
It's not a requirement but grease it as it will provide a little less friction but won't hurt anything at all if it makes you feel better. Then get it together and GO RIDE.
I was thinking more along the line of preventing rust.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #846
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
I was thinking more along the line of preventing rust.

ok...................with the washer and nyloc nut and being under the seat there is very, very little water contamination possible. Yes a little grease would help in case of water...................but again I don't think necessary...........................but do it anyway as it sounds like a sane idea

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #847
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
ok...................with the washer and nyloc nut and being under the seat there is very, very little water contamination possible. Yes a little grease would help in case of water...................but again I don't think necessary...........................but do it anyway as it sounds like a sane idea
Ok. Beings that I have never worked with grease, what do I get? LOL
Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #848
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Ok. Beings that I have never worked with grease, what do I get? LOL
Since you are going for waterproofness' use Maxima Waterproof Grease found at any motorcycle/dirt bike store, or any lithium would work fine.

or click on the X to follow link

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #849
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Quote:
Since you are going for waterproofness' use Maxima Waterproof Grease found at any motorcycle/dirt bike store, or any lithium would work fine.

or click on the X to follow link
Thanks!
I'm calling the bike shop now to see if they have it in stock.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #850
climbology
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question 2009 MPG (40mpg?)

Hello all, first post here. Ive been reading around that an 09 KLR can get 55mpg. However I am currently getting 40mpg. I do mostly fwy riding, avg 75-80mph. Also, how much does it drop when the bike is fully loaded, for like a week trip per say.

sidenote: I have an aftermarket pipe, don't know if that affects it
climbology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #851
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Welcome...we need more info about the bike before saying IF that is NOT normal....at those speeds you are above 5000RPMs and that is usually where the KLR will start to drink fuel and oil if pushed.....watch your oil level!

What has been done to the carb? If nothing and you just or someone just slapped a can on it....what about the airbox, airfilter? Snorkle? Jetting? Engine mods of any kind?

I get above 40 MPG with a fully modded and loaded bike but not at 80mph! 70 yes.....I'm still in the mid 40's easily. No headwind either.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #852
Dougo
Kawasaki

Oddometer: 38
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammason View Post
I agree with Doohickey. My 08 had 3,200 miles - rode it for 2,000 mikes, then did the doo - I could notice less vibration, subtle but less, and the spring was loose and doing nothing. Glad I didn't adjust it because it was as I've read, no adjustment in the spring.
Thanks , from what I read it seems to be an important and fairly simple mod.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #853
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbology View Post
Hello all, first post here. Ive been reading around that an 09 KLR can get 55mpg. However I am currently getting 40mpg. I do mostly fwy riding, avg 75-80mph. Also, how much does it drop when the bike is fully loaded, for like a week trip per say.

sidenote: I have an aftermarket pipe, don't know if that affects it
I have a stock(as far as engine goes) 2011 KLR. I have put about 600 miles on it now(450 of those in the past week). With mixed riding I'm getting 40-42 mpg. I'm not babying the bike but I'm not necessarily beating on it either. The more I ride mine the better I like it.
'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #854
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,340
Took the '06 I picked up a few months ago with about 11K on the odo into Happy Trails for their 9th Annual Doohicky Clinic. There were a dozen or so bikes there for the Doo. Found that my bike's Doo was still stock. It was replaced with the Eagle Mike's version with torsion spring. One of the dozen bikes there had a busted doo and when I left I think they were tearing into the right side to see if they could find the rest of it. Do the Doo. And thanks to Happy Trails for an excellent clinic
IDRIDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #855
climbology
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Welcome...we need more info about the bike before saying IF that is NOT normal....at those speeds you are above 5000RPMs and that is usually where the KLR will start to drink fuel and oil if pushed.....watch your oil level!

What has been done to the carb? If nothing and you just or someone just slapped a can on it....what about the airbox, airfilter? Snorkle? Jetting? Engine mods of any kind?

I get above 40 MPG with a fully modded and loaded bike but not at 80mph! 70 yes.....I'm still in the mid 40's easily. No headwind either.
Honestly I don't know if anything else was done too it. First bike so I'm still getting used to all the mechanics. Got it used at a dealership so they really don't know what the guy did before. But I will probably end up switching out the air filters. It's also been a lil windy lately, and I got kind of a lead foot (however that translates to on a bike)

And yea I heard KLR's are notorious for oil consumption, so I've been keeping my eye on it every other day, thanks for the heads up though!
climbology is offline   Reply With Quote