ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie
 
dirtyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 525
Black Bear Enduro adventure

It all started out just fine, a cloudy morning with threats of rain but not too warm. Clouds were swirling all day but only a few drops and some mist managed to come out of the sky. Trails were in the best condition that I've ever seen at Capitol Forest...in other words, very little of that nasty slimy greasy mud and the deep ruts were dry and pretty easy to avoid. Things started out great, made it to checks 1 and 2 on my minute. Felt really loose, fluid, and confident. Check 2 was in a pretty fast section and the woman marking my card seemed to be surprised that I was on my minute, so I got some satisfaction out of that and felt like I must have been doing really well. This just might be my day! That's when things started to get a little dicey. Another mile or so up the trail and there's a road crossing...the trail continues straight across the road, but there's one sign that says the trail is closed for logging, another paper note that says the trail is closed but open for the racers, another pink sign (same color as all of the course markers) that says "< Trail Re-Route" with an arrow up the road to the left, a pink ribbon all the way across the trail about 7 feet off the ground, and then to top it all off I could see all of the pink course arrows going right up the trail beyond the pink ribbon.

Now, we were warned about this spot at the riders meeting, but we weren't told about the "Trail Re-Route" signs that match the course markers. So what you do here?? Also keep in mind that this was in the middle of a fast section that was challenging to stay on time, I knew the guy who was on the minute ahead of me was somewhere behind me since I passed him before the last checkpoint and I didn't want him to come by me because it was real dusty and I didn't want to eat more dust and worry about getting around him in a more challenging section, it was hard enough with him behind me. And I thought things were going really well so I didn't want to waste any time.

So, of course I figured that maybe the logging folks or the DNR dude made an executive decision after the race had started that we couldn't go thru the logging area after all and there was a short course detour. So I turned left and went down the road looking for the next detour sign. Less than 1/2 a mile up and another "Trail Re-Route" sign with an arrow, so everything's cool and I just keep riding along. A little further and another sign, and then another sign pointing the opposite direction. WTF? I think to myself and just keep going thinking somebody either screwed up or someone just happened along and decided to mess with the race. So after about 3 miles of this I follow one more arrow for the Re-Route down a trail and start riding looking for some sort of course markers. Nothing.... Hhmmmm.... Okay, maybe they were in a hurry and didn't have time to put up more markers, just keep riding, don't second guess yourself. Another couple miles and I'm starting to really worry. There has to be a checkpoint here to let us know we're on course. Sh#t, I'm not seeing anybody out here... Just keep going, don't second guess yourself, focus, ride, stay loose, focus. Finally I realize I'm totally screwed and decide that there's got to be a trail junction soon and I can pull out the map to figure out where in hell I am so I can decide what to do next. Well, it was about a total of 8 miles before I hit a junction. Now it's time for a little side story...

At registration in the morning, I noticed a little stack of trail maps for the Capitol Forest sitting off to the side of the registration desk. I have never seen an official trail map for CSF and didn't have any map for the forest at all. An official map? Cool! I'd love to have one of those. I decided to snag one since nobody was looking (cheap bastard) and stuffed it in my pocket. When I was getting dressed and deciding what to put in my pack I almost left the map in my truck. What dumb luck that I grabbed it and stuffed in my pack!! Otherwise, I might still be roaming around CSF about now...

So I pull out my map and figure out that I'm totally on the opposite side of the forest, a minimum of 20 miles to get back to the start area and definitely no chance of avoiding a DNF. Or I could just backtrack the 8 or 10 miles to where I made the original blunder and try to beg the race marshals to let me finish. After about five minutes of debate with myself, I chose option 2 and headed back from where I came...

After finally getting back to the original point of confusion, I decided WTF just go up the trail and see what happens. After about 4 miles or so I come across a checkpoint. Cool!! I'm back on course!! Unfortunately, I'm told the hour sweep has already passed and I'm officially a DNF. Mother fuck$r!! Oh well, time to kick back and ride the next 30 miles for fun. Another couple miles and I come up to a couple guys on the side of a road. I stop to ask if they need any help and they ask me where I'm going. Turns out they're with the host club and are pulling the short course (my course) markers and placing markers for the long course second loop. So my only option was to follow them for about 1/2 hour to a point where the long course markers were already placed and just follow them in.

The cool part here is I got to ride this killer hidden section of the long course that drops about 1000' vertical in 1/2 mile where only about 10 bikes total have ever been down it. Yeehah!! My kind of trail! It was super steep thru brush, pretty much a bushwhack trail that you would never know was there if it wasn't shown to you. That's my silver lining to the story...

After all was said and done, I got the pleasure of riding an extra 18-20 miles of sweet trails on a beautiful day when I felt invincible on the bike, everything just felt right. Too bad it's probably the last enduro of the season and I'll have to wait until next Spring for another shot at glory...

And it turns out that the "Trail Re-Route" signs were placed by DNR the day before but nobody from the host club thought to pull them down. And they didn't think to put someone at that spot to direct traffic...

So Ron and Dave, how did things go for you?? Ron, I think you have a story of your own? I hope you didn't get injured. I saw your guys results, Ron what happened? Sorry I missed you guys at the finish, looks like you were long gone by the time I got back (they were just getting ready to dole out awards for the short course).

Cheers,
Brian
"db"

dirtyboy screwed with this post 08-28-2005 at 09:01 PM Reason: fix error
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
thanks for the report. I had hoped to ride in that but just couldnt get organized enough last week. Need bar risers first too.

Glad it came out alright!
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Davidovich650
KLR-ista
 
Davidovich650's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Homeless
Oddometer: 245
Brian,

You weren't the only rider out there that got turned around. I had a guy coming at me on an open section of gravel road - traveling in the opposite direction, I was trying real hard to make up lost time (guessing he was too), - our combined speeds were probably somewhere near 100mph. I nailed my rear brake, and basically slid the XR off into the ditch, and gassed her back up onto the road after he passed (that wasn't you was it? )

Yeah, Ron's got his own story. I'll let him tell it. My checks were: 0, 0, 8, 2, 2, 8, 1, 1. Yeah, the first sections were easy to stay on your minute - we had to burn some time on the side of the trail a couple of times. The first eight was from a 19mph nasty trail that we just couldn't keep pace on. The second eight is another story. We came up to that active logging area, and frankly, I wasn't reading anything other than pink arrows. I saw where other riders had taken a right turn off the trail. I actually had to stop, back up, get some RPM's up and nailed it. Tire width trail through really crappy recent clear cut, but rideable. Dumped out onto a gravel road after 100 yards or so - definitely the toughest part of the race.

Funny, other than that one rocky trail section and the clear-cut, I found that they laid out the course and the average speeds and possible-checks in such a way that it was very possible to make up for lost time from the difficult sections. That 1mph section - I think we came into that after my first 8 - and just pegged the throttle - got it back down to a 2 for the next check. Funny.

My foul-up of the day was a dead enduro computer (operator error in mounting the sensor), so I was doing it with a stop-watch and a street-bike Odo, which didn't allow for the reset - so after the one reset, I was subtracting the reset distance (3 miles) from current mileage. Towards the end of the race, I'd just have to pull over and figure out WTF I was at in the race! Fatigue was kicking in. But all in all, I felt pretty good at the end. Don't think I could have done the long course - something to work for next year.

And - Iain and another rider rode down Saturday night on DRZ400's - they went out on the course as spectators and got some video footage of us. Oughta be quite entertaining - especially at a certain gas-up checkpoint that gave us a little added excitement. (Iain - we gonna see the vids soon?)
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
gs dakar
live to ride
 
gs dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: snohomish, wa
Oddometer: 167
50 cent bolt

I will elaborate when time is on my side....lets just say that a 50 cent clutch mount bolt determined my ultimate fate...I ran close to what I think was 8 miles with no clutch....kept it in 1st and lugged the motor....power bumped it up to second and back down to first.....those 180 switchbacks are quite challenging with no clutch to pull into....all I can say is that the 13-52 sprockets saved my arse....until the entire lever just fell right off......had a great day ......overall the bike was running the best it ever has....and I can say that both Dave and I probably were running with the best skills we have had all season.....I had a blast......FYI......Cranberry lake hare scramble at the end of Oct.....any takers?????
gs dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 01:52 PM   #5
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie
 
dirtyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
Brian,

You weren't the only rider out there that got turned around. I had a guy coming at me on an open section of gravel road - traveling in the opposite direction, I was trying real hard to make up lost time (guessing he was too), - our combined speeds were probably somewhere near 100mph. I nailed my rear brake, and basically slid the XR off into the ditch, and gassed her back up onto the road after he passed (that wasn't you was it? )
Nope, not me, the only time I was going the opposite direction was when I was off course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
Yeah, Ron's got his own story. I'll let him tell it. My checks were: 0, 0, 8, 2, 2, 8, 1, 1. Yeah, the first sections were easy to stay on your minute - we had to burn some time on the side of the trail a couple of times. The first eight was from a 19mph nasty trail that we just couldn't keep pace on. The second eight is another story. We came up to that active logging area, and frankly, I wasn't reading anything other than pink arrows. I saw where other riders had taken a right turn off the trail. I actually had to stop, back up, get some RPM's up and nailed it. Tire width trail through really crappy recent clear cut, but rideable. Dumped out onto a gravel road after 100 yards or so - definitely the toughest part of the race.
I think I remember that spot, I thought it was a detour around a big tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
Funny, other than that one rocky trail section and the clear-cut, I found that they laid out the course and the average speeds and possible-checks in such a way that it was very possible to make up for lost time from the difficult sections. That 1mph section - I think we came into that after my first 8 - and just pegged the throttle - got it back down to a 2 for the next check. Funny.
Yeah, it was a fun course especially since the trail conditions were so good. That first 13 mph section would have been brutally hard if it was wet and muddy like it was for the Timekeeper. I must have spent a total of about 10 minutes waiting on the side of the trail in that first section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
My foul-up of the day was a dead enduro computer (operator error in mounting the sensor), so I was doing it with a stop-watch and a street-bike Odo, which didn't allow for the reset - so after the one reset, I was subtracting the reset distance (3 miles) from current mileage. Towards the end of the race, I'd just have to pull over and figure out WTF I was at in the race! Fatigue was kicking in. But all in all, I felt pretty good at the end. Don't think I could have done the long course - something to work for next year.
Bummer about the computer, my clock started to wig out during my little detour. Not sure if it got damp or the batteries were running low. For now on, I'm always putting in new batteries and checking ALL fasteners before the event.

Yeah, the long course for me is just a matter of endurance. I just don't get to ride enough. But I felt pretty fresh after the 70+ miles yesterday so maybe next year for me too. But I won't try to do a long course at CSF if it's wet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
And - Iain and another rider rode down Saturday night on DRZ400's - they went out on the course as spectators and got some video footage of us. Oughta be quite entertaining - especially at a certain gas-up checkpoint that gave us a little added excitement. (Iain - we gonna see the vids soon?)
Lookin' forward to some video action!!
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie
 
dirtyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs dakar
I will elaborate when time is on my side....lets just say that a 50 cent clutch mount bolt determined my ultimate fate...I ran close to what I think was 8 miles with no clutch....kept it in 1st and lugged the motor....power bumped it up to second and back down to first.....those 180 switchbacks are quite challenging with no clutch to pull into....all I can say is that the 13-52 sprockets saved my arse....until the entire lever just fell right off......had a great day ......overall the bike was running the best it ever has....and I can say that both Dave and I probably were running with the best skills we have had all season.....I had a blast......FYI......Cranberry lake hare scramble at the end of Oct.....any takers?????
Bummer about the clutch. I'll bet a few of those harder switchbacks were ass clenchers! 13-52 rocks in the nasty stuff. Cranberry Lake, is that out by Anacortes? There's also a Halloween Poker run at Belfair in Oct.

FYI- I'm thinking about doing the LA-Barstow-Vegas dual sport Nov. 25 weekend, trying to find someone going down with trailer space so I can fly down and back. I've already got the go-ahead from my wife and fortunately don't have any other obligations after Thanksgiving.
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
Bat1000
n00b
 
Bat1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: North Creek, WA
Oddometer: 7
[QUOTE=gs dakar]I will elaborate when time is on my side....lets just say that a 50 cent clutch mount bolt determined my ultimate fate...I ran close to what I think was 8 miles with no clutch....

Glad it was the clutch and not the front brake! Being that the front brake perch is in a somewhat altered state from stock via a sand wash in Wenatchee. Say...how cum no spare bolts??
Bat1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
gs dakar
live to ride
 
gs dakar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: snohomish, wa
Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat1000

Glad it was the clutch and not the front brake! Being that the front brake perch is in a somewhat altered state from stock via a sand wash in Wenatchee. Say...how cum no spare bolts??
ah wrong bike you are thinking of as it is the katoom I was on.....mmmmmmm although the dakar on the course would have been a ride report all of its own..... spare bolts?????WTF...I have to have some level of confidence in the equipment....however I see that I am going to have to backout all bolts and pull out the ol'red locktight for greater confidence.....
gs dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #9
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 985
Nice reports, guys, good to hear everyone's safe and ready to go again.

Lessee the pics and video!
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:56 AM   #10
Bat1000
n00b
 
Bat1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: North Creek, WA
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs dakar
ah wrong bike you are thinking of as it is the katoom I was on.....mmmmmmm although the dakar on the course would have been a ride report all of its own..... spare bolts?????WTF...I have to have some level of confidence in the equipment....however I see that I am going to have to backout all bolts and pull out the ol'red locktight for greater confidence.....
Ah the mighty KTM. Nope. I didn't fling that one to the ground. Although the season isn't over yet...

Confidence? Always. But certainly with a nod to Mr. Murphy. Loctite should keep him out of the picture. Bolt wise anyway...
Bat1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC
 
d0gWateR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Chilliwack, BC CANADA
Oddometer: 463
Hiya db

Hey Brian, long time no ride. Sounds like a fun event, what bike were you riding?

Paul
__________________
You were born an original, don't die a copy.

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
dirtyboy OP
Adrenaline junkie
 
dirtyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0gWateR
Hey Brian, long time no ride. Sounds like a fun event, what bike were you riding?

Paul
Yo Paul, good to hear from ya! I was on my 520EXC, the stump-puller. Love that bike!! Wish the LC4 had that six-speed tranny...

Cheers!
dirtyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014