Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
notaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
YES! One of my favorite bikes. Always wanted to do this.

Right on.
notaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,831
Do you worry about increased wear on the shaft drive because of the greater angle resulting from the repositioned shock?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
Muddy3 OP
Muddy

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Do you worry about increased wear on the shaft drive because of the greater angle resulting from the repositioned shock?
Yes, it is a concern. The distance that I dropped the shock was based on a prior build, a bit trail and error and suspension sag when weighted. I've put 1500 miles on it so far. After a few thousand more miles I'll tear it down and take a hard look at the drive unit. All good at this point.

Added some fuel capacity the other day.
Muddy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #19
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,591
That's hideous and a travesty and I really, really want one!

The K75, in my opinion, is one of the best BMW ever made.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #20
Just Dan
Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer: 1,819
There growing. This one was built about 10 years ago

Old bikers don't get old by accident.
Just Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
That's hideous and a travesty and I really, really want one!

The K75, in my opinion, is one of the best BMW ever made.
I'm with this guy

But the practical side of me has to ask -- Why? I have an 1100GS now. I've never ridden a K75. Is there any inherent advantage? Lighter? Faster? More torque? Better handling? All of the above?

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #22
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc View Post
I'm with this guy

But the practical side of me has to ask -- Why? I have an 1100GS now. I've never ridden a K75. Is there any inherent advantage? Lighter? Faster? More torque? Better handling? All of the above?

Lighter? No, they weigh virtually the same in stock config.

Faster? No, the GS is two mph faster on top.

More power? No. However, the GS only gets an additional 5hp from its extra 350 ccs.

Not surprisingly, the GS has quite a lot more torque.

The K75 has a slight edge in reported fuel economy, but not enough to make you fall over backwards. In my experience, however, the 75 will regularly return over 45 mpg.

The advantage here is that the K75 motor is jet-engine smooth, with a linear power band. It never seems to run out of breath, has plenty of grunt, and is very pleasant and relaxing to ride. Other than that, the suspension is old-school, and benefits from a fair amount of tweaking.

I think the big advantage here is that a K75 with low miles but crusty bodywork can be had for very reasonable money. The motor, tranny, and final drive are robust. Since the bodywork basically disappears, it's not an issue. The suspension gets a complete work-over. You end up with most of the capability of the bigger bike, a HUGE alternator for all your tecchy bits, and a total investment likely under a well-used GS. AND you get the cred of having a bike few have ever seen.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 06:05 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #23
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Lighter? No, they weigh virtually the same in stock config.

Faster? No, the GS is two mph faster on top.

More power? No. However, the GS only gets an additional 5hp from its extra 350 ccs.

Not surprisingly, the GS has quite a lot more torque.

The K75 has a slight edge in reported fuel economy, but not enough to make you fall over backwards. In my experience, however, the 75 will regularly return over 45 mpg.

The advantage here is that the K75 motor is jet-engine smooth, with a linear power band. It never seems to run out of breath, has plenty of grunt, and is very pleasant and relaxing to ride. Other than that, the suspension is old-school, and benefits from a fair amount of tweaking.

I think the big advantage here is that a K75 with low miles but crusty bodywork can be had for very reasonable money. The motor, tranny, and final drive are robust. Since the bodywork basically disappears. it's not an issue. The suspension gets a complete work-over. You end up with most of the capability of the bigger bike, a HUGE alternator for all your tecchy bits, and a total investment likely under a well-used GS. AND you get the cred of having a bike few have ever seen.
Thanks! Great info -- and the highlighted line says it all!
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
Rockman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Heres the rear shock on my K100 sidecar. Shock is a Wilburs. Lifts the back end up about 2" at a guess. Drive shaft is modified to run in oil like the old R series BMWs. Extended breather stops water from getting in. Final drive is off a K75 for the lower ratio. And yes, it was muddy that day. Took it trail riding.

Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #25
Muddy3 OP
Muddy

Quick Update;

Nearly 4000 miles on the conversion at this point. Updates include a small windscreen. Thanks to jdrocks for the idea. Also version 2 of the skidplate. The new engine protection is 1/4" ABS bent to provide a little better protection.

Impressions so far are very positive. It's no dirt bike, but at slower speeds it will handle most moderate 4wd roads and gravel ones are a hoot. The bike is incredibly smooth, comfortable and easy to ride. Suspension will get some more attention and changes in June.

Next trip is 740 miles to the Overland Expo in May. I'll try to get it off pavement on the way there and back.

MPG has been a bit of a surprise. With the high altitude plug in, I saw 57mpg last weekend. That's 7500 feet elevation and a fair bit of 45mph in 5th gear. Last week I dealt with the dreaded stuck starter relay. A new relay and battery solved the problem.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I like these lights, what are they?
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Muddy3 OP
Muddy

The lights are Baja Designs dual 8". They were used on a desert racing bike that I had a few years ago. This seemed like as good place as any to use them again They sure can light up a dark road!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 666
You could sell advertising space on that screen Why izzut screens these days have to be ugly upright awful loogin things? On some of those raid bikes you have to be standing all the time or looking out the side. Seems bikes are made to have a certain look rather than practicality. Sorry to be negative, I like what you've done to this bike. Cept the screen and mebe the lights...................................it's your bike, do wuthit watcha wanna doo.
Old fart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #29
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy3 View Post
Quick Update;

Nearly 4000 miles on the conversion at this point. Updates include a small windscreen. Thanks to jdrocks for the idea. Also version 2 of the skidplate. The new engine protection is 1/4" ABS bent to provide a little better protection.

Impressions so far are very positive. It's no dirt bike, but at slower speeds it will handle most moderate 4wd roads and gravel ones are a hoot. The bike is incredibly smooth, comfortable and easy to ride. Suspension will get some more attention and changes in June.

Next trip is 740 miles to the Overland Expo in May. I'll try to get it off pavement on the way there and back.

MPG has been a bit of a surprise. With the high altitude plug in, I saw 57mpg last weekend. That's 7500 feet elevation and a fair bit of 45mph in 5th gear. Last week I dealt with the dreaded stuck starter relay. A new relay and battery solved the problem.

Love your K....Well done!!!!!
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #30
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 440
I love this bike. Nice work.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote