Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #2446
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,052
hf start causes havoc with my mp3 player if the whip is close to or touching any part of the player or cord.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #2447
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,172
My buddy was welding his alum prop, HF continuous AC. I went to the basement and heard the sprinkler system water hammering. The HF was repeatedly kicking the solenoids, 40 feet away.
I unplug the sprinkler clock now.

fwiw: transformer Miller Syncrowave 250

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #2448
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,206
What is HF?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #2449
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,172
High frequency. Since welding isn't lightning, the arc won't start without scratching the surface. This is ok on stick welding and MIG; but if you scratch your tungsten to start the arc with TIG, you might contaminate either the weld or the tungsten you're welding with. This isn't acceptable, TIG is super clean and we want to keep it that way.

This is where HF comes in. Instead of scratching the surface, we just hit the pedal (throttle control) with the torch tip close to the weld (1/8" or so). Now the arc will jump that space riding the HF current and ZAP we have an arc without touching the surface.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #2450
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

OK, and even though this HF signal will switch the sprinkler system on 40 feet away or wack out an MP3 player its still safe for my for my motosickle electrics with the battery and CDI removed?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #2451
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
OK, and even though this HF signal will switch the sprinkler system on 40 feet away or wack out an MP3 player its still safe for my for my motosickle electrics with the battery and CDI removed?
Yes (if you don't put the ground clamp somewhere stupid)

The welding didn't damage the electronics that was affected.
Your bike electronics are almost surely better hardened than the sprinkler controllers or MP3 players because a normally working bike is not a good RF environment. There are spark plugs firing many times a second which are a significant EMI source and vehicle electronics in general are engineered better than sprinkler controllers.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #2452
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,763

Sounds like your guy knows where to put the work clamp to provide a low impedance circuit path.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #2453
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Sounds like your guy knows where to put the work clamp to provide a low impedance circuit path.

Yes, He did say he would attatch the ground right at the clamp holding the additional tab. .

Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #2454
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
What is HF?
High Frequency in TIG welding is high voltage 30,000 volts that is produced at the start of a TIG weld in DC and is used the entire time you weld in AC. It is used in AC because the arc turns off 60 times per second as the current reverses from positive to negative and back. The high frequency helps keep the arc on and helps establish it. It is possible to TIG weld DC- without high frequency by scratch starting the tungsten to the work piece.

Yes it will mess with electronics but as stated if you disconnect the battery and set your ground close to were your welding you should be fine.

High frequency is just like static electricity with high voltage and low amperage. It will shock you but wont kill you. Just keep your body out of the welding loop.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #2455
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I have no clue how to weld, i bought an arc welder 10 years ago i think it is a 70 0r 80 amp elder and i have never even turned it on. In fact its still in the box wrapped in plastic.
Having said that Im looking at my FZ6 and thinking i would really like to have some sideracks so i could mount some hardbags. I miss them since i sold my Ulysses and i only have a tail bag to pack my junk in everyday.
Where the hell do i start? I know nothing about welding.
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #2456
Colorado970
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker View Post
I have no clue how to weld, i bought an arc welder 10 years ago i think it is a 70 0r 80 amp elder and i have never even turned it on. In fact its still in the box wrapped in plastic.
Having said that Im looking at my FZ6 and thinking i would really like to have some sideracks so i could mount some hardbags. I miss them since i sold my Ulysses and i only have a tail bag to pack my junk in everyday.
To start: What kind of machine is it? A stick welder or MIG welder?

Whatever the brand, if you unwrap it there may be some sample welding supplies in there to start on, but probably best to unwrap it first.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #2457
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
I think its a simple stick welder, it has some rods with it and some handheld eye covers. Im gonna break it out this weekend and take a look because its been a while. Hope it doesnt throw all the breakers!
Advocare products-www.advocare.com/12084065
badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #2458
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
I think its a simple stick welder, it has some rods with it and some handheld eye covers. Im gonna break it out this weekend and take a look because its been a while. Hope it doesnt throw all the breakers!

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

The Lincoln Electric Welding School
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ng-school.aspx

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #2459
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
If you are close to Ocala, try and contact Phillip Kunts on here. I can't speak for him, but he has skills and may be willing to share some of the basics. Pretty good guy, and good dirt rider as well as being a weldor/fabricator.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #2460
mike-s
2 squeaky wheels

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweatherbiker
I was like that, then i just thought to hell with it and read up on the basic idea, watched a few videos on youtube to get a bitof a "practical" observation going without having an instructor and off i went.

I'm still shithouse at doing stick, and need to work higher amps to really get it working, but have fallen in love with using my gasless MIG, that thing is surprisingly awesome to use, I love the feeling of accomplishment i get after i do a good job putting components together. Aside from buying the welder in the first place, that auto-darkening helmet purchase was the best thing i've done in my garage.

Oh and throw away the handheld faceshield, that's no good anywhere but in a chinese sweat shop. Get either a full mask with a flipdown visor, or (preferably) get a solar powered auto-helmet. That way you can tune the darkness levels to the task at hand and you aren't stuck with a single filtering strength that may be too dark or not dark enough for what you are trying to do. And you can line up the weld and then just go go go instead of lining up, holding still, flipping the visor with one hand and hoping it's still in the same spot you left it.
mike-s is offline   Reply With Quote