Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #1456
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
Someone in the German forum claimed he has recently seen the 1250 LC engine personally, without giving details about where and when.

He said the cylinders appeared being huge and they are casted to the engine casing, which is split in the center.
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #1457
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter-k View Post
The difference in between an R 1200 GS and the SUV, is one really can, the other one looks only as if.

We can agree to disagree.
OK. No question if you're skilled you can do amazing stuff on the R1200GS/GSA.
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #1458
peter-k
Candyman

Oddometer: 70
I am a very average rider.

But for example I've done some distance on OZ outback roads, with my wife and luggage for 4 weeks loaded. I am not sure if I would have been able to do this with my previous DL1000. Alone may be, two up ... I doubt it. Probably it would have dropped fairing parts into the landscape and the headlights would dangle down attached to the wire harness in front of the handle bars.

As we have seen lately on the example of new bikes launched, it seems not easy making a bike with the kind of versatility the GS offers, the super-easy rideability, and the (relatively) low weight for its size. There are many bikes in the market yet no bike rides like the GS. And that is why we pay for it, and why we sometimes (grudgingly) accept its less than satisfactory failure rate.

peter-k screwed with this post 01-29-2012 at 11:06 PM
peter-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #1459
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
Funny to read the comments that the MTS is not a tall guy's bike. I'm 5'7", and the "in cabin" ergos are perfect for me. No stepladder comments.
Those comments surprised me as well. I'm 6'1", 34" inseam and I thought the MTS ergos were outstanding.

Checking cycle-ergo.com, looks like I have a 78* angle on the MTS and an 81* angle on the GS.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #1460
simmonsk133
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Someone in the German forum claimed he has recently seen the 1250 LC engine personally, without giving details about where and when.

He said the cylinders appeared being huge and they are casted to the engine casing, which is split in the center.

Doesn't this seem odd? Lunch a cylinder and lunch an engine. Doesn't sound reasonable to me. Has any other company done this?
Thanks...
simmonsk133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #1461
KSBEERHUNTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmonsk133 View Post

Doesn't this seem odd? Lunch a cylinder and lunch an engine. Doesn't sound reasonable to me. Has any other company done this?
Thanks...
Well, it took a while but, some are finally realizing that this might be a throw away engine! As in not rebuildable?
KSBEERHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #1462
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:

Thanks...
Many, if not most, MC engines are built like that these days.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #1463
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSBEERHUNTER View Post
Well, it took a while but, some are finally realizing that this might be a throw away engine! As in not rebuildable?
That is simply the silliest thing I have ever heard.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 AM   #1464
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:

Thanks...
This is the way automobile engines have been made for several decades now. Some use cylinder liners, some use plating i.e. nickasil i.e. BMW , Porsche etc

No big deal here. Less weight, less parts, lower cost. i.e. moving into the 20th century(i.e. the last one)
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #1465
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
This is the way automobile engines have been made for several decades now. Some use cylinder liners, some use plating i.e. nickasil i.e. BMW , Porsche etc

No big deal here. Less weight, less parts, lower cost. i.e. moving into the 20th century(i.e. the last one)
Less oil leaks too :
Marki_GSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #1466
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 6,036
Quote:
While true, how many of those engine configurations have cylinders hanging outside the vehicle?

I'd hate to see what would happen if this were a unified engine casting:

1996 M900 2012 GS 2008 Megamoto 2008 S2R
2006 HP2e
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #1467
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
David Robb leaving....

New guy is from India (Bajaj Auto LTD) starting July 1st. 2012.
He was working for BMW before, in charge of the design evolution from R 1150 GS to R 1200 GS...
What does that mean for the R1250LC GS?

Heinrich, 53

Robb and von Kuehnheim were a good team...

tallguy-09 screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 08:51 PM
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #1468
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
While true, how many of those engine configurations have cylinders hanging outside the vehicle?

It seems you would propose to move away from the boxer engine....with the jugs needlessly sticking out....and go to some thing like the "brick" or the more current parallel twin aka f800GS, yamaha Tinerie(ooops spelling), honda and others. All of these have cylinders as integral castings within the whole block.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #1469
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 6,036
Quote:
It seems you would propose to move away from the boxer engine....with the jugs needlessly sticking out....and go to some thing like the "brick" or the more current parallel twin aka f800GS, yamaha Tinerie(ooops spelling), honda and others. All of these have cylinders as integral castings within the whole block.
Not proposing anything at all. Just bringing to light that a common cylinder / engine casting in automobile sees different service (as well as service life) than our Boxers. With the pics, I was only pointing out a possible situation which might not bode well for a unified design.

Also, from von Kuehnheim's earlier interview and insight. . . it makes me wonder if the images we've seen are development mules for the engine, related castings and design-and nothing more. Just a passing thought, since the bodywork isnt moving the aesthetic forward in any significant way. . .

1996 M900 2012 GS 2008 Megamoto 2008 S2R
2006 HP2e
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM   #1470
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
it looks like a lot of damage to the cylinder heads, not the cylinder. Did the cylinders need to be replaced in your example?
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote