Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #256
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,563
so, Christmas was fast approaching... that meant a trip to Melbourne to see mum...

got the barkbusters sorted and hard-wired in the GPS

i had the knobs on the bike already, i didnt have panniers sorted yet... was suposed to have... but didnt....

so... it was gonna be a 'tie shit on the back trip'....

fueled up me and the bike in Mount Gambier and then headed east along the coast...thru nelson then off into the pine forrests...

fairly sandy tracks in these forrests...

i'd been running 40 psi in the TKC's to try conserve them on the highway... but once i got in here it was obvious some air needed to go...

it was nice to be 'out n about' again...

eventually i was out of the pines... then it was a trip down to Cape Bridgewater....never been there before...nice little place...

stopped at a spot called 'bishops rocks' (i think )

and since it was a hot day i climbed down and went for a quick swin to cool off...

then hit the dirt again and headed towards Cape Nelson... a few tracks dont go anywhere anymore due to new wind farms in the area...

ended up finding my way down to the lighhouse...

you can rent the old lighhouse keepers house...

all kept in really good condition...

figures there was a good view of the sea from here too...

anyway time was getting on, so back on the bike again...

past this guy.....

past more windmills..

by-passed Portland and hit the main road around to Port Fairy... checked into the YHA, went got some crap japanesse take-away.....

got a couple of nice cold take-ways from here...

and had a stickynose in a few shop windows on my way back to the hostel to eat drink and have a merry old sleep (after watching a soccer match and having a chat to a girl in Adelaide about some 'plans'...

tomorrow was due to be a day in the Otway ranges.......

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #257
fredster
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Glad you are healed and back at it. Love the reports and the pics. Safe travels.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #258
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 553
Yes...............I enjoy being able to follow along!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #259
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

next morning was up and hungry...

packed and rolled down to the main street to find a feed to power me thru the day...

ended up choosing home made baked beans, corned beef hash browns and some other bits n pieces....

wasnt expecting this but i guess...it is what it said it was...

washed down with some coffee, i was ready to roll...and then get on my bike and go...

fueled the bike in Warnambool...

then hit the Great Ocean Road.... and then left it for the Old Ocean Road

was a beautiful morning...

then headed down 'Blue Johana Road'... steep n gravelly... with some bitumen in places....

and into 'Johanna'... only a campground and some great surf beaches.... nice place....add that to the 'places to camp list'

then it was back up the hill via 'Red Johanna Road'... which turned out to be all bitumen..

next was a spin down to Cape Otway Lighthouse... this road is now all bitumen......

there was heaps of tourists along this road.... you could tell they were tourists as they were stopped everywhere, tempting fate with the huge population of Drop-Bears' along the road.... i snapped on quick pick as i kinda rolled by....i wasnt gonna stop....sure i had all my gear on, but kevlar, gortex and all that fancy stuff aint no match for those freaks!

it was also clear to see vast patches of stripped bare trees where the Drop-Bears had completely stripped the trees of any leaves... (no photos...to dangerous )

it was well into the afternoon by now and i was gettin a bit peckish... saw a sign to a caravan park and kiosk about 5 or so km before the lighthouse so ducked in....but they had nothing to 'eat now'.... (what no pies!) i'd also seen some signs that there was a 'cafe' at the lighthouse... so i just grabbed some water, a photo of the bike and headed for the lighthouse....

got to the lighthouse....and the 'cafe' was in the lighthose grounds... which has a $25 admission fee!!

i spoke to the guy in the 'gift shop' (which you could enter for free ) to confirm 'that it would cost me $25 to go to the cafe'...."yep" he replied... 'and then i still have to pay for food there?'..... yep...

i bought a packet of chips from the gift shop and buggered off

i tied the chips on the back...hoping they didnt fall off and was Gone...once-more

i ran the gauntlet with the Drop-Bears again, but turned of onto the dirt again about half way back to the main road...

.the road wound down to another great lookin campground...

i checked out the campground , then pulled up in the carpark for lunch.... hopin my chips were still on the back....

just!

not sure when that happened...but was glad everything held on...

first 'battle-scar'...bent numberplate

so ate chips, went for a mosey down to the 'beach'..

and then had to go back the way i came in..

'cept i found a little detour

which lead to another 'beach'

with lots of rocks...

then it was time to think about getting to Apolla Bay where i'd booked a bed for the night...

but still time for one last 'detour' just short of Apollo Bay..

which lead to another walk...thru snake infested country....

but the walk was nice...

and i made it out without being attacked by snakes or tree branches

then it was into Apolla Bay... checked into the hostel (nice building!) unloaded bike and then went for a spin around town a fueled up the bike...

then headed out to wash the dust down..

sat at the bar watching some soccer and contemplated a feed... chatted to a few locals...

including one woman who asked 'if i'd come with her to pick up a dinning table from a friends place...'

'does that line work for you often?' i asked....

anyway we chatted a bit... and i had a bit of time before the kitchen shut...and figuring it was a good way to see a bit of the area...after a while said...sure left go get this table...

so we jumped in her car...and buggered off up some dirt roads...., loaded a dining table onto her roof...and before we got back down the mountain, the fog came in...real quick...

kinda blocked out the sun...

so anyway.... by time i got back to the pub, the kitchen had shut

but a fish n chip shop nearby was still open...i want in placed my order and waited.....

and then the owner decided it was Karaoke time

his singing was real loud and 'sharp'...

all the other customers just looked around at each other and laughed....most left....

i had to wait for my tea....

the singing got loder...

come on...sing along....

thank god my dinner was ready....

i left, ate my tea on the footpath, almost took a picture of this old guy on a ktm in shorts and shin gaurds...

and then decided that was enough for one day....and went to bed!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #260
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredster View Post
Glad you are healed and back at it. Love the reports and the pics. Safe travels.

thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #261
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Great to follow along ............I have Google Maps open to help with the geography.

.........hard to believe you did not at least get something to eat for your "table" moving assistance?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #262
miepiechief
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Lovely to read another RR from you, again.
miepiechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #263
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so after a pretty ordinary sleep (noisey negbours deciding to have a party at 2am, drunken irish lads getting home without keys at 3am.... spose it was a friday night in a seaside holiday town 2 days before christmas.......)

the day was a lot cooler...looked like it may rain even...

i'd fueled up etc the night before so it was just up n off...
(after a not so impresive breakfast....)

i decided to head up thru where 'that lady took me last night' seemed like a good end of the world...

not a bad start to the day..

i looped around and onto the Great Ocean Road again... fanging past caravans whenever there was the slghtest break in the 'solid white line' down the middle of the road... but it wasnt long and a track caught the corner of my eye...before i even had a chance to think about it i was off the main road and shootin up a fairly steep rutted track.... i think it might have been called 'bird' track...something like that....

anyway it evened out for a bit...

before i hit this...

..i went for a walk up...

she was a bit rutted...

but
i figured...what the helll...

i picked my rough line...

reved her up...

took off..

got halfway up... and back wheel slipped into a rut....

..hmmm.... getting moving again from here might be 'interesting'...

but a little bit of sweat

a fair amound of rev's and next stop was the top...

off again...

lots of decisions to make

followed a powerline for a bit....

before poping out of the hills at the Wye River pub

time was getting away... it was christmas eve...and i needed to be in Melbourne at mums...at a reasonable time.....

so it was back onto the Great Ocean road for the twisty ride along the coast...

a stop in Geelong for a real late lunch then of to mums for christmas....and christmas day floods

a could of days later, it was time to head off again....

Old 01-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #264
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,564
You certainly know how to find the good tracks.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #265
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

so the 27th of Decmber came around... figured that meant christmas was over so it was off to meet up with Paul (inmate Whitta.... who i was riding with when i took out the 'roo...or was it 'when the roo took me out' )

so west i headed and met Paul in Bachus Marsh.... a coffe, some fuel all round and a catchup chat and some air in tyres (after being acosted by a little old lady who wanted a hand to put fuel in her car... )

anyway...finally we were off out the back of the 'marsh and up the old favourite...blue gum track...

then down some side tracks...

a long rid down into a valley for smoko...

then after consulting the GPS....back up the way we came..

then off to another old favourite....

.not much water at the bottom....

then off down some smaller tracks... some trees didnt stop us...

let me rephrase that

Paul wasnt didgin the mud too much, the DRwas runnin light on tread...

we continued down.... the track ended up disapearing...... the DR needed the odd push to get back up (back tyre...) the 800 ran real well

anyway, we continued on our way...

we poped out at Trentham for a late luch... then on towards Castlemaine..

found some more good tracks

.stopped for another break and decided we needed to get a wrigle on... as we were meeting up with Phil (Philmeup...the guy who got his G650GS written of in Melbourne 6-7 months back) over at Maldon for a catchup..

a quick dash up to Pauls place to get his tent etc (and to oil my dry old chain) then down to Maldon for some beers, fish n chips, fire and a camp..

next day we all had to go our seperate ways... i fanged it down to a mates place in Ballarat for the night... then the next day back home to an early night..

the next morning it was up and changed the knobies out for the Anakies, then down to the postoffice and picked up a box...

then wacked the hard panniers and frame on the bike....

and then jumped on the bike again and....
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #266
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

You do know that if you used (and linked) Google map to your adventures it would be easier for us to follow along !
Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #267
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
You do know that if you used (and linked) Google map to your adventures it would be easier for us to follow along !

huh?

whats that..? (well i know what google maps is....but wouldnt that mean working out where i'm going before i go...and then sticking to that plan?

or am i missing something??

as my old boss used to say... "help me understand".....??

Old 02-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #268
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Yea Yea OK..........I not say pre-plan, but a few more geographic place names would help us unfamiliar with the area follow along on GMaps..........
Old 04-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #269
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
Yea Yea OK..........I not say pre-plan, but a few more geographic place names would help us unfamiliar with the area follow along on GMaps..........

alright... i'll see what i can do

.now back to the ride....

Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 AM   #270
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

After a longish absence ............................good to see you'll be back soon with more updates!

I trust your absence was not spent in the hospital!

Cheers,
J