Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Mara Loochezarny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan - Bike riding.

Hi friends!
I'll be happy to be useful in Central Asia!

Marat
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
nablats
yorkshire1

Oddometer: 4
i like difficult terrain trail riding i may be heading your direction this summer (suzuki dr350)
nablats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #3
pzs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I am day dreaming, I would love to be over there riding....have read a number of ride reports, and that location of the globe intrigues me. Don't forget to post some photos when riding

pzs
pzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
vespas
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Kyrgz Border to Osh
The descent into Kyrgyzstan from the Kyzyl Art pass is one of the roughest of the route. More boulder field than road. Eventually, the road from the pass joins a wide green valley and there is some tarmac. However, sections of this road are often washed away. A few kilometres down this valley is the main Kyrgyz checkpoint at Bor Dobbo. From Bor Dobbo, it's a great pedal across the flat Alay valley plain to Sary Tash, about 20km away. If you are going straight to Kashgar via the Irkeshtam Pass, turn right at Sary Tash. The road to Osh carries on over the 3600m Taldyk Pass. This pass has a really annoying double summit. The descent from the Taldyk is down a very spectacular but extremely dusty series of switchbacks. From the bottom of the switchbacks its an enjoyable pedal through alpine scenery to the town of Gulcho. From Gulcho, there is a final climb up the 2400m Chyyyrchyk Pass before the 50km, mostly down hill, run into Osh.

Visa support for Tajikistan by 12 euros- http://tajikistanvisa.land.ru/

Food and Water
Water
The tap water in Dushanbe and other towns is not safe. Equally, unless you are absolutely sure there has been no humans or livestock upstream, you have to assume the stream water is unsafe too. So, you need to bring water purification equipment. We had a Katadyn water filter, which we used for stream water, and Iodine tablets, which we used for tap water.

There are one or two quite dry sections (see route notes below), so it is important you are able to carry enough water - up to 4 litres per person. You can either invest in water bags or just collect some large fizzy drink bottles.

vespas screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 03:52 AM
vespas is offline   Reply With Quote