User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
danster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Beta synt parts (crank)

I picked up an old cheap beta synt (long distance purchase)to start trials ridding for cheap and turns out the bottom connecting rod bearing is very worn so I have disassembled the engine and am looking for a complete crank with rod or a rod rebuild kit plus some gaskets the Beta dealer up here in Canada wants $240 for the rod kit and another $237 for a piston, plus gaskets and crank seal's. I am looking for a good used crank, or a complete engine, cheaper parts, or anyone with other suggestions possibly other engines that will fit the frame.
danster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
LowPSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Try Beta UK
LowPSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
robbeach
Rob

Oddometer: 63
Synt - status

Greetings!

Hey - what is the status of your Synt? I am looking for a crankcase - if you didn't get this going, might you be willing to part it out?

Please reply to my "normal" email address, if you would - rob.beach at bmca.com

I don't get on here as often as I should, so a reply to that email will hit me long before one here on AdvRider.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by danster View Post
I picked up an old cheap beta synt (long distance purchase)to start trials ridding for cheap and turns out the bottom connecting rod bearing is very worn so I have disassembled the engine and am looking for a complete crank with rod or a rod rebuild kit plus some gaskets the Beta dealer up here in Canada wants $240 for the rod kit and another $237 for a piston, plus gaskets and crank seal's. I am looking for a good used crank, or a complete engine, cheaper parts, or anyone with other suggestions possibly other engines that will fit the frame.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." - Braveheart
robbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
danster OP
Adventurer

Hey Rob
The synt is working well. Let me guess you have corrosion in the water pump area I had a very worn lower connecting rod bearing and also the water pump area had a bunch of corrosion in it. i had the crank rebuilt (new rod kit from Beta dealer) and the corrosion was removed and I filled the damage with JB weld so far it has been almost a year with no problems and riding about every week or two.
The bike works good I am able to keep up with the other guys I ride with on much newer bikes but I don't try everything they do. I am coming to a crossroad do I upgrade a few years to a a newer bike or keep this one, cash flow says keep this one but I am interested in a hyd clutch and more precise brakes although the new brake pads could fix that.

Dan
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
robbeach
Rob

Oddometer: 63
Dan! Good to hear that things are going well!
Cash flow <> new bikes - I understand. Better to smoke 'em on the old machine anyway - makes for better bench racing later.

I have my cases apart now and am gooping them up with a 2 part epoxy. Hope it works! I will have to use RTV on the oil seal as the cases are very pitted on the outside of the seal.

Go well!
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by danster View Post
Hey Rob
The synt is working well. Let me guess you have corrosion in the water pump area I had a very worn lower connecting rod bearing and also the water pump area had a bunch of corrosion in it. i had the crank rebuilt (new rod kit from Beta dealer) and the corrosion was removed and I filled the damage with JB weld so far it has been almost a year with no problems and riding about every week or two.
The bike works good I am able to keep up with the other guys I ride with on much newer bikes but I don't try everything they do. I am coming to a crossroad do I upgrade a few years to a a newer bike or keep this one, cash flow says keep this one but I am interested in a hyd clutch and more precise brakes although the new brake pads could fix that.

Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." - Braveheart
robbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
danster OP
Adventurer

I had enough reference for a new water pump shaft seal to seat properly but lots of pitting in the water pump area around the impeller and outlet or the upper hole.

Out for a short 2hr ride today maybe time for a new tire wet cold rocks and patches of snow takes a little of the confidence (1 or 2 brief dirt-naps)out of a guy.