ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer
 
tommu56's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: limerick pa / waterville pa
Oddometer: 1,193
Weight distributing hitch trailer end ~$750 to 1000

Truck end depends on vehicle from $200 to 500 + install

I have Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller - Proportional ~$130 and love them (in 2 vehicles)

Wiring on tow vehicle if not wired ~$150 and install brake controller

If buying new get them to throw it all in on the package



Note some of the newer vehicles have issues tapping off the rear brake lights.

I learned the hard way with my Ram 2500 no fuses in trailer turn signals it has some sort of "electronic protection" and it shut down while under warranty and the dealer had to reset the body control module the service tech said some times they don't reset and it is $750 to replace it.
I added 10 amp fuses to the circuit so it doesn't shut down again now that I am out of warranty.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
I would have to disagree with this, based on a hell of a lot of personal experience. In the last dozen years I have had four 1/2 ton Chevys and towed extensively with each, often over 20K miles per year. I currently tow a 26' old style, sticks and tin travel trailer that runs about three tons, loaded. The tow rig is a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.3 and 3.73 rears. In well over 100k miles with various trailers behind GM half tons I have had ZERO towing related issues. It's not 1975 anymore. Half ton trucks today have performance and towing specs. that blow the doors off 3/4 T trucks from "back in the day". The OP would do well to spend time on rv.net with particular attention paid to the towing tutorials and searching various manufacturers. Unfortunately, so far this thread has a lot of "opinions" that could easily be misconstrued as facts. Comments like half tons only being suitable for fiberglass egg trailers, or "Jayco is bottom of the barrel" really make it clear that this is a bike forum, and that credible RV knowledge is best found elsewhere. A good start in the search for a quality trailer would include Jayco, K-Z, and Nash products.
We all have opinions, that was mine and this is yours, if you're happy with a half ton that's swell. Like I said, you can't have too much truck, I see folks pulling big ass fifth wheels with srw trucks all the time, but I wouldn't do it.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....
 
KrustyKustom's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Desert-away from people...
Oddometer: 575
I have owned my Airstream for 6 years and it is my third travel trailer I have owned. Best towing and most solidly built unit I think you can buy.
__________________
Krusty Kustom,
Houston Texas
2013 KTM 500exc
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...
 
tony the tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
Oddometer: 9,491
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48 View Post
Should have added it to the original post but I really dont want a fifth wheel. I know that a fifth wheel is the prefered towing method. I figure to start out with what I have 1/2 ton 4x4. I plan for the Travel Trailer to be a every now and then type of thing so im planning small. I have a building with 10'x14 door way so would preffer one under 10' tall to store inside. Use my truck to pull a bass boat and haul bikes. The 1/2 ton does it fine.
Been looking at a Forest River Surveyor, anyone got one?

I got one - it's not bad quality, but has a rear slider - don't really like that. If it's crappy outside, I don't want to push it out - because when you pack-up camp and slide it in you'll bring in moisture on top and sides (the rubber gaskets don't do too well at 'squeegeein' the water off the surfaces). If you don't push the slider out, you can't set-up the couch or dinette.

If I had it to do over, I'd go for a slider on the side, with an awning over the top; and maybe a foot or two smaller (it's 25ft extended to 27ft). Probably go with a fifth-wheel to haul it too. they say you'll go through a few before you really figure out what you like.

Good comments on the bathroom awareness - another nice option is a separate shower (my trailer has this, at least).

Let's see - primitive camping... mine is able to get into/out of most sites; years of backing a duece & a-half with a little M101 trailer on the back makes for good experience.

Generators - I have a pair of little Honda EU2000i - they are frikkin' awesome. ~65 pounds a piece, start on the first or second pull most of the time, and plenty of amperage to power the AC or furnace and coffee pot or microwave at the same time. ...and they're quiet. Just need to chain them to a tree or something, or they'll grow legs. Freakin' tweakers...
__________________
Tony
Quote:
Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 5 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
We all have opinions, that was mine and this is yours, if you're happy with a half ton that's swell. Like I said, you can't have too much truck, I see folks pulling big ass fifth wheels with srw trucks all the time, but I wouldn't do it.


The OP is looking at towing 5k. One doesn't need a 350 diesel to do that. A 1/2 ton will do fine. Just as srw 3/4 ton trucks can tow smaller 5th wheels.

Just cause you wouldn`t does not make it wrong or unsafe.
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #21
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrustyKustom View Post
I have owned my Airstream for 6 years and it is my third travel trailer I have owned. Best towing and most solidly built unit I think you can buy.
I agree that Airstreams are very nice, but they're not for everyone. They are expensive, pretty fragile, (seen one after a hail storm?) have little' to no ground clearance (boondocking anyone?) and aren't really all that well insulated. And, yes I'd love one, but have found I could rationilized my way out of buyine one.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #22
Bubwheat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
I would have to disagree with this, based on a hell of a lot of personal experience. In the last dozen years I have had four 1/2 ton Chevys and towed extensively with each, often over 20K miles per year. I currently tow a 26' old style, sticks and tin travel trailer that runs about three tons, loaded. The tow rig is a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.3 and 3.73 rears. In well over 100k miles with various trailers behind GM half tons I have had ZERO towing related issues. It's not 1975 anymore. Half ton trucks today have performance and towing specs. that blow the doors off 3/4 T trucks from "back in the day". The OP would do well to spend time on rv.net with particular attention paid to the towing tutorials and searching various manufacturers. Unfortunately, so far this thread has a lot of "opinions" that could easily be misconstrued as facts. Comments like half tons only being suitable for fiberglass egg trailers, or "Jayco is bottom of the barrel" really make it clear that this is a bike forum, and that credible RV knowledge is best found elsewhere. A good start in the search for a quality trailer would include Jayco, K-Z, and Nash products.
Agree with most of your post and would just point out that Nash and Arctic Fox and both made by Northwood Mfg. http://www.northwoodmfg.com/

In your research, you'll find that a lot has changed in the RV market with the economic downturn, some brands are gone, some are made by other makers. But if you got some cash there are some pretty good deals out there. My 22H was listed at $28k and I paid $22k for it.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #23
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
The OP is looking at towing 5k. One doesn't need a 350 diesel to do that. A 1/2 ton will do fine. Just as srw 3/4 ton trucks can tow smaller 5th wheels.

Just cause you wouldn`t does not make it wrong or unsafe.
Agreed, it's not wrong or unsafe, it's my opinion, we all have them and they differ sometimes.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #24
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Agree with most of your post and would just point out that Nash and Arctic Fox and both made by Northwood Mfg. http://www.northwoodmfg.com/

In your research, you'll find that a lot has changed in the RV market with the economic downturn, some brands are gone, some are made by other makers. But if you got some cash there are some pretty good deals out there. My 22H was listed at $28k and I paid $22k for it.
You are right, things have gotten real interesting in the world of RVs since the start of the depression. Nash makes some great stuff, and you got a decent deal on yours. Having bought four new ones so far, I try to end up with a discount in the high 20% range, off of true list. The fact that some orphan brands are now being made by the survivors is interesting. By the end of the boom, Fleetwood and coachmen were building absolutely shit towables. They both tanked, quickly. Hard to dump major amounts of cash on warranty work for the shit you built, if you aren't pumping new units out of the door, fast and furious. At the last Hershey show I looked at Coachmen towables. I ended up chatting with a long time upper management employee. She mentioned how they were now owned by Buffett (Forest River). After I noted the obvious improvement in quality, I asked, "So building garbage, heading into a collapse of the market, didn't work out real well, eh? She smiled and said that the last few years of the old company were hell. Pump garbage out, ASAP, and let the dealers and customers take the hit. Fleetwood OTOH was so pathetic that it's hard to believe that anybody wanted to even buy the naming rights. Good luck with your Nash, I'm sure it will last nearly forever with a bit of maintenance.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #25
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
We all have opinions, that was mine and this is yours, if you're happy with a half ton that's swell. Like I said, you can't have too much truck, I see folks pulling big ass fifth wheels with srw trucks all the time, but I wouldn't do it.
Big difference between an opinion and a decade of heavy use that provides a deep base of knowledge. The "can't have too much truck" comment is a whole lot of testosterone that fails to add up in the real world. The average new towable buyer is a family with kids who will use the unit for a week long vacation and 6-8 weekend trips per year. They need a one ton diesel about as much as they need a Ferrari. A properly outfitted "half ton" pick-up can safely tow 6-8K trailers and be a usable family vehicle for the 95% of the time that it isn't towing anything. There is a reason that the hottest selling vehicle today is a 1/2 truck with a 400+ HP motor that gets low 20 MPGs when being used as a soocer mom, grocery chaser, yet tows 11K. I once fell for all the macho bull, and bought a four door superduty diesel. Biggest mistake ever. Great tow vehicle. Worthless for everyday life in the real world. Expensive to purchase, operate and maintain. It was also stunningly unreliable. The OP is looking for a modest Trailer and knowns what it takes to pull it. Had he started this thread as a retiree heading out for a lifetime of travel in a 18K, 38' fifth wheel, you would be correct, you need more truck.
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #26
McB
Joe 40 ouncer
 
McB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: North Slope of the Flint Hills
Oddometer: 15,335
FIL had a 5th wheel dually for several years, and liked it just fine for their lifestyle at the time, before my MIL got ill (she passed 3 years ago).

Now, he and his new lady friend are getting back into travel, and downsized a bit. They bought an ultra light, 30' drag trailer with one slide, and an F-150 to pull it.

The Ford is a crew cab, V-6 with tow package, and weight distributing hitch setup. The truck alone gets low-20s; and low to mid teens towing.

So far, they towed it home a couple of hundred miles, another trip to Arkansas and back (300-ish each way), and then to south Texas for the winter. He said that other than being a bit more susceptiple to winds and long grades, it's working just fine for them.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #27
Laconic
Let's Get Primitive!
 
Laconic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Moran Nation, NC
Oddometer: 14,570
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...worknp&nav=rec

If this is something you intend to have for a long time, these are worth looking at; several of their models are designed to tow with a 1/2 ton and they are built somewhat better than some other brands.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...
 
tony the tiger's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
Oddometer: 9,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob View Post
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...worknp&nav=rec

If this is something you intend to have for a long time, these are worth looking at; several of their models are designed to tow with a 1/2 ton and they are built somewhat better than some other brands.
Looks like the model I've got is SV-235; or very similar layout. Freakin' rear slide... Gal we bought from was pulling it with a Tahoe...
__________________
Tony
Quote:
Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 5 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines.
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #29
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 11,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Agreed, it's not wrong or unsafe, it's my opinion, we all have them and they differ sometimes.
I guess it comes down to a lot of factors. I know that I've towed pretty close to the limit of the vehicle, and felt that I was, well, underpowered, and underbraked, even with trailer brakes.

Doing this from time to time is OK, but I personally would not want to, on an ongoing, continuous basis [i.e. full time rving] want to use a tow vehicle that was at the high end of it's load limit. This is very much a personal decision.

I'm not enough of an expert to say if a given vehicle tow rating is 'rational and reasonable', therefore I don't presume to gainsay the manufacturer's ratings.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Solaros1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 1,169
Check out www.fiberglassrv.com for a wide range of vintage and current trailers

The Oliver trailers are very nice and a 17' Casita is a pretty nice rig.

Some of the R-pod trailers I've seen have seemed like a good deal too - the 17' R-Pod is a nice rig for around $12K

My sister has owned a bunch of trailers ranging from a 12' Serro Scotty to 23' Airstream to a 28' trailer (which is too big she says) and several others.

They plan to scale back down to the 20'-22' size range but might even wind up with something a little smaller.

I've had two 13' fiberglass trailers - nice size for small tow vehicles but I'd really like something in the 16'-17' range .
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014