Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,726
I am a father of a young one, and I plan to start my child the same way as I started mine (when she is ready...she is only 4.5 years)

I started at about age 8 with my dad. We went on his Triumph Trophy for short rides around the area, none longer than about 20 miles. (We normally used to go out to the stone quarry and shoot bottles with his police .38 pistol...it was a combined activity that drove my mom nuts. )

In the first year we never went over about 40 mph, and a single stretch of riding never longer than about 30 minutes.

I wore "ATGATT" at the time, which means long pants, boots, helmet, gloves and jacket. I will buy my daughter a proper set of childrens mc clothes when I do it.

My old man just told me, when I lean this bike, you lean with it. Hang on to me, keep your feet on the pegs at ALL times regardless of if I put my feet down.

We never went highway speed until I was in my early teens, as I recall. And even then he had already gotten me onto my own dirt bike and we were ripping around state forest trails by that point. No road riding for either of us in those years.

I think you are on the right track here, and you are asking "good" questions. Go forward carefully and deliberately, and with due consideration always.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa
It was the smallest aerostich roadcrafter had way back when... Her pants are folded up on the bottom...
My, how quickly they grow. Same bike, same (?) helmet. She looks much less like a TeleTubby in the older pic.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 AM   #18
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,575
My first time on a bike was a neighbor's Harley at 4-5 years old.

I managed to push my own bike home 4 years later.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #19
Connito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy451 View Post
Thanks to everyone that has responded. The information is GREAT! Please keep it coming!

4. Rather than a hard top box I am considering the following softbag which I think will be okay (I have a 2009 BMW K1300s): http://www.bmw-k.com/forum/viewtopic...it=bmw+softbag
I would advise you against a soft bag. Either a top box, or a back rest. I understand that a top case would not look very cool on a K1300s. Use a back rest. Both, you and your son will feel more comfortable.

Cheers,
Pete

Neil Peart
Connito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
I would advise a bag.

These would do great. http://www.kriega.us/us50-combo-moto...-bags-luggage/
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
My, how quickly they grow. Same bike, same (?) helmet. She looks much less like a TeleTubby in the older pic.
Older sister. Here's the teletubby:

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #22
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
It was the smallest aerostich roadcrafter had way back when, a 36S, if I remember correctly (purchased on clearance).
They actually used to sell a 34S... well, they offered it; didn't sell many. Noted the pants folded up after I posted. I was thinking "Give me the smallest you can make, custom to take out as much as possible, everywhere!
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
remedy451 OP
Calgary, Canada

Oddometer: 78
Those are nice bags... Unfortunately they utilize the passenger seat for mounting. I have a rack behind the passenger seat that slides into the bottom of the BMW softbag. This combined with additional straps keeps it secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I would advise a bag.

These would do great. http://www.kriega.us/us50-combo-moto...-bags-luggage/
remedy451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
My son and daughter each got their first rides with me when they turned five. I was primarily concerned with my son falling asleep during a long ride planned from Denver to Cimarron, New Mexico. As a result, I used a kid's climbing harness from REI. Through the D rings up front on the harness I ran a 3" wide webbed belt that buckled around my stomach. While I was concerned what would happen if we had to separate ourselves from the bike, I was more concerned with him falling off when sleeping, which he did on several occasions.

I had many folks, mostly grandparents, approach me on the ride for a similar set up so they could take their grandkids. You could sell a ton of them, if you could afford the liability insurance!

Here is a pic of him wearing it with his "Papa" who joined us on the ride.

Now that he's older (14), he's not into riding with me. However, my daughter is able to wear my wife's gear, so she rides with me:

There is something helpful I learned through a class about riding two up. I simply tell anyone, kids included, that if we're hitting a left turn, look over my left shoulder. Right turn, over my right shoulder. If you try it right now with an imaginary someone in front of you, you'll notice you lean to that direction naturally when trying to look over the imaginary shoulder. Works like a charm!

Lastly, spoil them at the stops. Unless they're diabetic, if they want to wash down a Ding Dong with a Coke while you're filling up the tank, let 'em. They'll talk about it for years to come!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
wmu12071
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I went out to colorado from michigan when I was 6 months old (hack). I switched to riding behind my father or mother when I was 3 (in the middle of a trip from michigan to new york). My parents used bungee cords to pull in arm rests that kept me held in pretty well. I slept sometime without falling off. We took a long trip every year. I will try to get some pictures and maybe get my dad on here to comment. I would not trade the experience for anything personally.
wmu12071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,772
this is a great thread with great advice. The best is "it's entirely child dependent". Age doesn't matter much. The ability to reach the pegs and hand on does.

I started both of mine at about 5. My 9 year old absolutely loves riding on the Passport. It doesn't take much to feel the ride on that thing - 40 feels like 90 on anything else. The other day he was telling me how he's going to ride it to high school, climbed on it, and proceeded to make riding noises for 10 minutes. He wears a coat, jeans, gloves, sometimes boots, plus his dirt bike helmet and goggles (though I am not above no coat when we aren't going further or faster than he would on his bicycle).

My soon to be 13 year old isn't as adventurous; he's fully aware of what can happen. I consider this a good thing. He needed a lot more little trips to be comfortable on the back (although he's a complete natural on his own dirt bike). I occasionally take him to school on the Futura.

He was tense as a cat in a dog kennel at first but now he's perfectly relaxed and no longer holds onto me (using the grab rails instead). We've hit the ton on the way to school before, which he liked. He wears his mom's 'stich, one of my helmets, and my gloves.

Neither of them have been out of the city limits.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 246
Thumb

This thread has inspired me.

My little one isn't due for another 3 months, but I'm already preparing.

The car seat is plenty, right? I'm not going to need gear for at least another 6 months or so, right?...

Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #28
DirtFarmer
Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer: 2,630
This is a great thread

I started riding when I was young, but no one ever took me riding (everyone was too afraid of my mother ).

There are some pictures of the Weber's riding with their kids, they mounted pegs up forward on the frame for the kids to stand on and they held on to the handle bars. Those kids will not only know how to ride, but they will also know about riding.

Good for all of you, who are taking the time to what has to be something extra special to these kids.

Found the picture (Baldy's)

DirtFarmer screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 06:01 PM
DirtFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #29
knight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
" man arrested ...felony child neglect ...after giving toddler ride on motorcycle"

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...-mo-ar-355524/
knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #30
remedy451 OP
Calgary, Canada

Oddometer: 78
IMHO that's great that the guy got charged. What's really surprising and had me do a double-take are the comments that other locals have left regarding this incident. Most, if not all of them, feel that what the guy did was okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
" man arrested ...felony child neglect ...after giving toddler ride on motorcycle"

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...-mo-ar-355524/
remedy451 is offline   Reply With Quote