User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #10
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,940
I am a father of a young one, and I plan to start my child the same way as I started mine (when she is ready...she is only 4.5 years)

I started at about age 8 with my dad. We went on his Triumph Trophy for short rides around the area, none longer than about 20 miles. (We normally used to go out to the stone quarry and shoot bottles with his police .38 pistol...it was a combined activity that drove my mom nuts. )

In the first year we never went over about 40 mph, and a single stretch of riding never longer than about 30 minutes.

I wore "ATGATT" at the time, which means long pants, boots, helmet, gloves and jacket. I will buy my daughter a proper set of childrens mc clothes when I do it.

My old man just told me, when I lean this bike, you lean with it. Hang on to me, keep your feet on the pegs at ALL times regardless of if I put my feet down.

We never went highway speed until I was in my early teens, as I recall. And even then he had already gotten me onto my own dirt bike and we were ripping around state forest trails by that point. No road riding for either of us in those years.

I think you are on the right track here, and you are asking "good" questions. Go forward carefully and deliberately, and with due consideration always.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote