ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #2206
Kirkster
Parts Murderer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Peoples Republic of MD
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Am in Bogota today needed a rear tube for my bike ( more on this later) and it is possible that we will return before Thursday. Might need to meet up!
Just looked at your spot track. You were only a half dozen blocks from my hotel.

Good luck with the rear tire... PM me if you come back. Will make the effort to link up with you...

K
__________________
TAT 2013 the "I'm Just Sayin" tour
BMW 2007 R1200R
2012 KTM 690 R
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #2207
Radioman OP
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
Just looked at your spot track. You were only a half dozen blocks from my hotel.

Good luck with the rear tire... PM me if you come back. Will make the effort to link up with you...

K
We road back up to Villa de Leyva after getting a tube for the tire.... Sorry we missed you.

Will PM you if we make it back. Would be Wednesday Night or Thursday ....
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #2208
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid
 
Katoom119's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN
Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
I had come to terms that this journey does not need to be continuous. Talked with another long term rider about this, and there are times on the road that you get tired out, and need to take time staying in one place or returning home to regroup before continuing. No rules in how to do this kind of long distance travel, I have found that I will need a break somewhere along the trip.

We will all see what happens!
Ride till you feel like stopping, stop till you feel like riding. You have anywhere you need to be?

It's you're trip; we're just along for the ride. PSA 46:10 Vaya con Dios.
__________________
Those who dance are considered crazy by those who do not hear the music.
I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world. - Radmacher

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #2209
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom
 
DRRambler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 837
I'm caught up...

I've been reading, watching, crying, laughing, learning for weeks following your wonderful report and heart tugging story. I could not resist....I have been assimilated, thank you for all of it!

I'll be taking 6 months to ride south in 2013 so I eagerly await each installment hoping to soak in every bit of intel.

I'm curious if you think carrying the spare tire(s) was worth the trouble. If you hadn't brought them with you, do you think there has been enough availability of tires to just buy them when and where you need them? (and save carrying the weight)

Thanks
Dave
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 AM   #2210
Parcero
Mundial
 
Parcero's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
Oddometer: 520
While the romance of a long-term non-stop round-the-world trip is intoxicating, the reality is that not many people can do it due to time/money/logistics. I am thankful that I can rely on modern air travel to whisk me back to family and work (and then back to my bike) so that I can do a trip in stages. It's not the way I originally envisioned my trip, but it allows me to do it now, rather than wait until "I have the time," which might never happen.

Keep having fun and stay flexible with your plans, and enjoy the fact that you can be as flexible as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
My adventure is fluid. Looking at my Time and Money, and the Logistics ..... I have a few priorities one was riding in India, and hopefully China. Getting my bike there has lots of challenges, so I had always considered flying to India and renting a bike as one of my options. Since I am planning to spend extra time in South America..... It allows for tghe possibility to get to India during there summer season.....

I had come to terms that this journey does not need to be continuous. Talked with another long term rider about this, and there are times on the road that you get tired out, and need to take time staying in one place or returning home to regroup before continuing. No rules in how to do this kind of long distance travel, I have found that I will need a break somewhere along the trip.

We will all see what happens!
__________________
Chicago to Panamá y Más Allá

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #2211
Ebbs15
Parttime Saddletramp
 
Ebbs15's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
My adventure is fluid. Looking at my Time and Money, and the Logistics ..... I have a few priorities one was riding in India, and hopefully China. Getting my bike there has lots of challenges, so I had always considered flying to India and renting a bike as one of my options. Since I am planning to spend extra time in South America..... It allows for tghe possibility to get to India during there summer season.....

I had come to terms that this journey does not need to be continuous. Talked with another long term rider about this, and there are times on the road that you get tired out, and need to take time staying in one place or returning home to regroup before continuing. No rules in how to do this kind of long distance travel, I have found that I will need a break somewhere along the trip.

We will all see what happens!
I like this mentality. find a place you wanna stay for a bit, explore, soak in it's culture and scenery. Then, when ready press on. Especially in South America where the cost of living is cheap (so I've heard, no first hand experience) it sounds like a great way to "time" your trips for the best season in the next country you conquer.

I'm following this closely as it mirrors what I want to do in about 12 years, when I retire from the military.

Hopefully this fellow Oregonian can buy ya a beer or three.

Safe travels, and lots of memories

-Ebbs
__________________
Part-Time Saddle Tramp
Ebbs15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #2212
Radioman OP
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaStrom View Post
I'm curious if you think carrying the spare tire(s) was worth the trouble. If you hadn't brought them with you, do you think there has been enough availability of tires to just buy them when and where you need them? (and save carrying the weight)
First I hated hauling the extra tire, was a pain to pack up everyday and work around, and the extra weight was not great either. I would work out logistics to buy them on the road. The larger dual sport tires are harder to come by, depending on where you are, but with just a bit of planning you can do it! That is my plan going forward.

Thanks for following along!
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #2213
Radioman OP
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcero View Post
While the romance of a long-term non-stop round-the-world trip is intoxicating, the reality is that not many people can do it due to time/money/logistics.
Keep having fun and stay flexible with your plans, and enjoy the fact that you can be as flexible as you want.
:Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
I like this mentality. find a place you wanna stay for a bit, explore, soak in it's culture and scenery. Then, when ready press on.

Especially in South America where the cost of living is cheap (so I've heard, no first hand experience) it sounds like a great way to "time" your trips for the best season in the next country you conquer.

Hopefully this fellow Oregonian can buy ya a beer or three.
The cost of living is relatively cheap in SA depending on how you want to travel. I am almost 50 and the youth Hostel are OK once in awhile, but I have been there done that. Traveling with two people certainly helps keep the hotel costs down to $10-30 a night depending. You can certainly go up from there.

I have not kept that great a track on my daily costs here in SA but probably around $50-60 as I have splurged a few times on a nicer place!

Will look forward to a few beers with you!
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #2214
Radioman OP
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
February 5th & 6th Barichara to Villa de layva, Colombia

Barichara was a really cool town up on a hill. Relaxing and a great place to just stop and relax!

Or do some fooling around!





The little stores had all their goods stacked up high. Liked the way they looked.



Building materials waiting the next project. The bricks and they use round poles as roof supports.



Last photo at the top of Barichara



We are at around 5,000 feet and the terrain is great for riding. But like all of this trip you have to watch for the unexpected potholes, animals in the road, crazy truck drivers!



Someone had a bad day..... Not sure what happened.



Had a great ride....



cool sun flares on the way.



Our GPS sent us into town the back way up a rough Gravel road....



Great views....






We had a great ride to Villa de Leyva which is an old colonial town. It has the Major Plaza which is the largest in the Americas. Hard to give you a good photo :)







it was cool at night.





The streets have smaller rounded "Wobblestones" harder to walk and ride.




The kids heading to school.



Quiet place on the weekdays. Fun to walk around.



We are staying just off the Plaza at Hospederia La Villa. Cheap place $12.50 USD for a single room. My bathroom is a multipurpose. You can shower, use the toilet and shave all at once




After leaving Medellin my rear tire was slowly going flat. I had converted the rear rim to be tubeless at Woody's Wheel Works. http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/ We had diagnosed that the spokes were leaking air Did not know what happened other than I had my rear tire changed back on Medellin.

So decided to keep pumping it up until I could make a run to Bogota to get a couple of spare tubes which would fix the problem. Nagging question what happened.... Talked with Woody's and they had never had one fail....

Rode into Bogota and Edgar at Autogermania was really helpful!!



We was ready and got my bike right into the shop.



even got a free cup of coffee and BMW water



Took us into the shop after they pulled my rear rim. It is part of a large BMW car dealer.... Really upscale wow.



With quick look..... The job that Woody's did, got destroyed during the tire change. Looks like they took the strapping tape off the rim that was part of the sealing process, then the next layer just broke loose and allowed the rim to leak. Arggg!







They put in a tube, and tire back on... Back on the road again.



Ended up with a 3 hour ride in the rain back to Villa de Leyva that took us into the dark (which I have not done but a couple times as it has been my Cardinal rule. No riding at night ) But we were told the ride was 2 hours maximum :)

Just added to the adventure of the day!
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430

Radioman screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 05:32 PM
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #2215
NCK
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NCK's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Taxation Without Representation (DC)
Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
:The cost of living is relatively cheap in SA depending on how you want to travel. I am almost 50 and the youth Hostel are OK once in awhile, but I have been there done that. Traveling with two people certainly helps keep the hotel costs down to $10-30 a night depending. You can certainly go up from there.

I have not kept that great a track on my daily costs here in SA but probably around $50-60 as I have splurged a few times on a nicer place!

Will look forward to a few beers with you!
Radioman - Very very helpful of you to continue to answer questions about costs. This is where the rubber meets the road for so many of us, and to have more information about costs allows us to build our dreams more accurately. Thank you for this!
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #2216
Radioman OP
Moto rider
 
Radioman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: HOME (at least for now)
Oddometer: 4,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2013 View Post
Radioman - Very very helpful of you to continue to answer questions about costs. This is where the rubber meets the road for so many of us, and to have more information about costs allows us to build our dreams more accurately.
I have read so many RR to help me, and really glad to be able to share the information that I have experienced. Of course other will have to decide for themselves what makes a great trip. For me splurging on a nicer hotel in some places, or outings is worth the money. I had actually been planning for total expenses around $100 day with transportation costs. I will try to total things up at the end and see what it actually costs.

Thanks for following along!
__________________
Chapter 3 of my life...... with Faith, Hope and Courage!

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #2217
Mustang28027
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Concord, NC
Oddometer: 74
I have been following along as well. I think most RRs that I have read say that 40.00 per day is a good to plan for while on the road. This includes fuel, food and also lodging. Totaling this up, to live on about $15,000 year round sounds like a pretty good deal. Dont know if it is realistic. Have to consider other things like medical care, etc, for additional costs.

Does your budget allow for staying put for an extended period of time? Dont have to go back to work, do you? While it is winter here, I assume your time there is seasonless. Sounds to me like staying there is a wonderful idea.

Dave
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #2218
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,498
It does look pretty cool, all nicely stacked and colorful but if I were shopping there I'd be grumbling. I hope they had step stools for the less than tall people.

Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #2219
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus
 
drrags's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 1,810
I burned more than $40/day just in gas. If you're talking about an extended trip, calculate $100/day. High mileage days takes a lot of gas. Caught after dark and you're taking a surprise $80/night hotel room. Tires, oil, border crossings, and in SA trips, crossing to Colombia. Food, beer, entertainment. Then there are the surprises, like damage to your bike that needs repair, busted luggage, clothing, gifts, things like that. When you are done and you do the calculations, you'll see that you will have averaged $100/day easily. If you base your trip planning on $50/day, you will most likely find yourself coming home sooner than you expected.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #2220
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)
 
Tall Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast Oregon
Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
I hope they had step stools for the less than tall people.
We've got your back Bug Sister!! (we'll loan you a long reach! )
It doesn't look like earthquake country, judging be those shelves!

Looking Good Mark! Loving the adventure! (hope the knee is on the mend!)

Shiny side up, Smooth sailing!
__________________
Ride the Earth! (Pavement Optional)

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014