Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #91
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golevi View Post
I am guessing that the boom mic setup would be best for the flip up helmet... My wife has a Shoei Multitec and the boom mic works well for hers... I am not sure how long the cord is on the corded type G-4 and I wonder if it would reach when the helmet is flipped up...

Anybody else have anything here?
I have been using the boom mic on my Nolan n103 for 4 years now.. only way to go IMHO
Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #92
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 54
I have modded several clamps with the wired Mic. The wire to the mike is not very long.

I would guess the wired Mic would work well for a full face standard helmet but not a modular, the wire is too short.

The boom Mic works fine for the modular helmet, that is what I use.

Eileen

Sent from my Galaxy II S via Tapatalk
JetGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #93
randy quad
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Does the Jetgirl version of this mod eliminate the stock speaker usage? I would suspect that it does, but it sure would be nice to be able to use either plugged in buds or when not plugged in, the stock speakers.

By the way, we dont ride motorcycles, we ride Quads. (hope I don't get chased off the forum)

We currently have three G4s set up and we love them. I end up taking guests out on the trails, and they don't always have their own ear buds and at least one frequent guest is unable to comfortably wear buds. For these reasons a convertible unit would be nice.

randy
randy quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #94
ebohnet1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I believe for an extra % dollars she can wire so the speakers go in the plug but dont quote me.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #95
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy quad View Post
Does the Jetgirl version of this mod eliminate the stock speaker usage? I would suspect that it does, but it sure would be nice to be able to use either plugged in buds or when not plugged in, the stock speakers.

By the way, we dont ride motorcycles, we ride Quads. (hope I don't get chased off the forum)

We currently have three G4s set up and we love them. I end up taking guests out on the trails, and they don't always have their own ear buds and at least one frequent guest is unable to comfortably wear buds. For these reasons a convertible unit would be nice.

randy
For $5 additional I will install a plug on the speakers so they can be plugged in and used instead of the earbuds. It is easy to do since I just desolder the wires from the board inside leaving tinned wires. I just solder them to the plug, heat shrink the end of the wires so they Can be crimped into the strain relief. You can wrap the plug with some velcro then so it can be tucked away when not in use.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #96
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,177
^^ this is a great option..that way you can leave the speakers in the helmet for shorter trips where you dont want the hassle of the ear buds.. because they are a hassle.. This is the set up I have been running for a few months now.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #97
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Same here... I like having the option to use the helmet speakers or the ear buds...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #98
randy quad
n00b

Thanks, its good know that option is available. I will be PMing Jetgrl.

randy
Old 02-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #99
randy quad
n00b

Just wanted to report that I now have two headsets modified by JetGrl. Great work, great lady. I also left a third for her to mod as well. I elected to have the stock speakers modded too, so they can be used in case a rider prefers them over ear buds.

After picking up the first two modded sets, I headed directly over to Boulder OHV area and tested them out with a short night ride on the trails. I am tickled to death.

Thanks JetGrl!

randy
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #100
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy quad View Post
Just wanted to report that I now have two headsets modified by JetGrl. Great work, great lady. I also left a third for her to mod as well. I elected to have the stock speakers modded too, so they can be used in case a rider prefers them over ear buds.

After picking up the first two modded sets, I headed directly over to Boulder OHV area and tested them out with a short night ride on the trails. I am tickled to death.

Thanks JetGrl!

randy
Thanks Randy, handy that we live close... btw the other clamp is ready too.

Eileen

Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #101
fxrs
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Apologies for coming straight in with a question. I looked around the site and couldnt see a "Hello" thread.

I used to love and ride trail bikes, DT 125, XL185, KL250, Honda Dominator, XT500 and the best of all, KLX650 (Had 3 of 'em.....what a cracking bike!) Being a bit short in the leg meant the KLX was a bit of a handfull. After months of changes I was able to get the seat height down to a more acceptable level. Now I ride a Harley and love it just as much as the trailies I have owned.

Now, to the case in point. This modification to the G4 is exactly what I want but I dont feel confident enough to do it myself. JetGrl clearly has the mod down to a fine art. Respect!

The question I have is whether this mod can be done by someone on the UK? Does anyone know of a suitable outlet?

I have a spare G4 speaker set and would be happy to send it away to get it done.

Grateful for any advice on this.

Once again, apologies for not saying Hi, elsewhere.
fxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #102
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrs View Post
Apologies for coming straight in with a question. I looked around the site and couldnt see a "Hello" thread.

I used to love and ride trail bikes, DT 125, XL185, KL250, Honda Dominator, XT500 and the best of all, KLX650 (Had 3 of 'em.....what a cracking bike!) Being a bit short in the leg meant the KLX was a bit of a handfull. After months of changes I was able to get the seat height down to a more acceptable level. Now I ride a Harley and love it just as much as the trailies I have owned.

Now, to the case in point. This modification to the G4 is exactly what I want but I dont feel confident enough to do it myself. JetGrl clearly has the mod down to a fine art. Respect!

The question I have is whether this mod can be done by someone on the UK? Does anyone know of a suitable outlet?

I have a spare G4 speaker set and would be happy to send it away to get it done.

Grateful for any advice on this.

Once again, apologies for not saying Hi, elsewhere.

I would imagine that an appliance repair or computer repair shop could perform this modification without many problems, especially if you printed out the pictorial instructions and took it to them...
Just not too sure how much they would charge...

Do you know anybody that works as a technician anywhere? I personally work at an electric utility company, and know that most of my associates could perform this mod...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #103
Holy Trojan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
FXRS.... I had never tried to solder anything in my life. Well, until this little project. I bought a soldering iron for $11, I bought 4 of the 3.5 mm plugs. (I have 2 units and my bud has 2), I bought 26 gauge wire (3 colors) and a micro set of the torx drivers. It would be cheaper to send it to jetgirl than to do it yourself. Unless you plan on doing 4 like me. The project was very easy. And I feel like I learned a new skill. My advise is practice your soldering first, use GOOGLE, and don't try any wires larger than 26 gauge.

NEW QUESTION... does anyone have a good speaker replacement that is already wired to a plug? perhaps a small headphone set that comes apart easily and can take the place of the scala speakers?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #104
fxrs
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the replies
fxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #105
doc3toes
n00b

Oddometer: 9
i've been messing with mine all day. the only 3.5mm phone jack i could find was this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ja...ket-switch.jpg

but im beginning to think that is not going to work. i have tried every wire combination but only get left audio. the right ear bud works, and it switches if i tweak it just right. i was worried i fried something, but i think its all good.

my soldering is good i think, so ??? plug?.........help!

would i be better to order something like this?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/10pcs-1-8-3-5...item1c2222bde3

thanks.

doc3toes screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 02:41 PM
doc3toes is offline   Reply With Quote