Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 54 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #1516
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. My wife has never really shot rifles so I am hoping a 22 will spark her interest. She loves pistols so I think a stack of 25 rd mags will keep her smiling. Looks like I wil be m&p shopping this weekend. :)
Do your self a favor....

S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #1517
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t.t.G. View Post
Do your self a favor....

WTF is that?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #1518
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Butler Creek Mag loader...

(for 10/22's though....unless some one makes one for the smith .22)
Old 01-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #1519
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t.t.G. View Post
Butler Creek Mag loader...

(for 10/22's though....unless some one makes one for the smith .22)
nope ya get to stick em in 1 at a time and the rims need to be staggered or you'll get misfeeds .

takes longer to load em them empty them ...........
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1520
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
nope ya get to stick em in 1 at a time and the rims need to be staggered or you'll get misfeeds .

takes longer to load em them empty them ...........
They work great, been using one for years.....yeah, doesn't take long to run 'em dry.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #1521
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Same here, also a question...if I got one while here in MA with the 10 round compliant magazine and moved out of state would the 25 round fit? Also for anyone from MA, if I got a CCW large capacity would that cover that rifle as well or is there specific legislation against them?

It looks like a great lightweight gun to get back into shooting with.
An LTC-A will cover you for the rifle, 10 round max.

These are being sold like twinkies- was just at the marloborough gun show, and saw maybe 100 of em for sale. Just buy one from a MA dealer so all the evil features are compliant.

Also feel free to poke into www.northeastshooters.com. lots of MA specific info there. Plus, it's a curmudgeon dump.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #1522
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Drat....hope that is not the problem....but for $20 in parts I guess it is worth a try.
found this on "the firing line forum"

Problem Fixed Winchester 190

I have now solved the problem; or rather I took it to a GOOD gunsmith who saw the problem instantly and had it solved in about 30-45 minutes. I say a GOOD gunsmith because my friend had taken to a different shop which had charged him about $35.00 to recondition the rifle but had done the rifle no good.
There were two problems. For the major problem look at step 9 in the take down manual. The barrel collar was loose in the frame making the head space wrong (loose). There is no 'adjusting' the head space on that rifle. It is fixed when the barrel is tight in the frame. He took it apart, gave it a good cleaning, and put the barrel and collar in tight. The collar is treaded. He put some copper anti seize compound on them. He did not have the specific spanner wrench for the collar so he carefully used a punch that fit the flat of he collar.
The second problem was lead in the cone of the barrel where the rounds feed into the chamber. It was layered so deeply that he had to scrape it off.
I think only copper clad rounds from now on.
A good cleaning and oiling and it now works fine.

The weak point of this particular design (the Winchester 190/290/490) is the way the barrel mounts in the frame. It is prone to becoming loose, and is difficult to fix. Eventually, it shoots loose again. I have heard of owners JB Welding the barrel into place, but this is rather extreme.
I'd suggest either relegating it to the display rack, or maybe parting useable parts out on Ebay.
It was a cheaper gun, and has no collector value.

My barrel also came loose.. It was a very easy fix. I took off the the forearm, and then proceeded to tighten the barrel nut on the end of the barrel that goes into the reciever.The barrel nut wasn't even tight, it just spun on the threads..I just added some lok-tight and it's been fine since.. This is a great gun to shoot as it will take all three variants of the .22, (s, l, and lr), and it won't miss a beat. I love mine..

Look here: http://stevespages.com/pdf/winchester_190.pdf
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 06:48 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #1523
Speedster
Gizmo Slut

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Is anyone in here plinking with a M&P 15/22?? I dont really need another rifle but this gun has caught my eye. I have read the first gens had some issues. How are the latest models doing? Any reason to spend the extra coin on the performance center model?
Love that gun! It WAS my favorite gun to shoot. Runs on most ammo, but Remington Bulk sucks ass in most guns. I have a Vortex StrikeFire red dot on it. Super fun in the gopher range! I don't have many failures to feed, even when the shells don't get stacked alternately. A few people have bought one after shooting mine.

The fancier models shoot the same, just have some extra aftermarket goods OEM.

I think that since the first initial production, they have been pretty reliable. It had to do with the recoil spring, IIRC. No problems with mine, and thousands of rounds through it.

The standard 25 round mag will work in one that came with a 10 rounder. You just got shorted in the beginning!

But then I got a CZ452 American Varmint in .17 HMR, and I haven't shot the 15/22 since. I still love it lots, I just choose the .17 since it reaches farther and makes a bigger "splat".

Speedster

03 Dakar, 04 CRF450R, 14 Ski Doo Summit X 800, 07 Summit X 800, 00 Mountain Max, Foes Fly, Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL, Giant STP, Bianchi Giro, wife
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #1524
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
I picked up a 15/22 today I can't wait to put some rounds through it. We had ever intention on buying a sr22 for my wife but it sold right before we got there, so we got her the p22. He gave us a good price since we bought two guns
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #1525
Speedster
Gizmo Slut

Oddometer: 422
Holy cow that SR22 looks like fun! I have a Buckmark that I just got this summer, and that reminds me that I need to shoot it more. I think that SR22 is my next gun! I wish I could shoot as well as the guy on that video.

Speedster

03 Dakar, 04 CRF450R, 14 Ski Doo Summit X 800, 07 Summit X 800, 00 Mountain Max, Foes Fly, Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL, Giant STP, Bianchi Giro, wife
Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #1526
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

We put 3-400 rounds through the 15-22 last night during time outs and half time of the super bowl.

Its a great shooting gun even using flashlights on the targets I HAVE to pick up more mags ASAP, two isnt enough. I really didnt need a rifle but I am very glad I bought it. It ate federal and winchester bulk with ZERO issues. Not a single, FTE/FTF nothing at all. I did break it down and clean it, then lubed it up with militec before I shot it.

Wifey's walther p22 shoots excellent and is suprisingly accurate. She smiled all evening. She was shooting a 6" disc at about 15yds in the dark and was pissed she didnt hit it every round. I told her it will be easier in daylight

I already ordered stuff for the 15-22. I have to dig up mags locally, every web site i checked was backordered. I cant find any p22 mags either
Old 02-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #1527
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post

I already ordered stuff for the 15-22. I have to dig up mags locally, every web site i checked was backordered. I cant find any p22 mags either
http://www.44mag.com/product/smith_a...ith_and_wesson
in stock and on sale ...great place to do biz with

I have 14 mags and still aint enough
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #1528
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
http://www.44mag.com/product/smith_a...ith_and_wesson
in stock and on sale ...great place to do biz with

I have 14 mags and still aint enough

thanks for link!!! I am ordering mags today
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #1529
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Holy cow that SR22 looks like fun! I have a Buckmark that I just got this summer, and that reminds me that I need to shoot it more. I think that SR22 is my next gun! I wish I could shoot as well as the guy on that video.

Speedster
I like it too. Wouldn't mind one of these either. It's ugly as sin, but that 30 round mag just tempts me.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/
Old 02-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #1530
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I like it too. Wouldn't mind one of these either. It's ugly as sin, but that 30 round mag just tempts me.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/
I like the few .22mag rifles that I have....but for a toy the ammo is pretty spendy....I would rather have a normal 22....I think it would get more use.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: