Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #121
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
There's no shortage of garbage at HF, but there's a few gems. I'll list the PASSES:

I can't speak highly enough about the 5 drawer Tool Cart. Good luck finding something as good for 3x the price ($160):

The 42" Tool Chest is also great ($360), although I think the cart is superior:

The composite ratchets are surprisingly smooth and strong at under $10 and it won't freeze you widdle fingers when it's cold out:

Although not as durable as Hansen trays, the socket trays are a bargain at $10/set:

With a handful of purchases, in particular those above, I have been downright amazed at the quality/value. That being said, there are some things I'm really hesitant to buy: Anything you plug in (unless you're trying to build a fire); and anything your life might depend on (i.e. jack stands).
Old 02-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #122
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,090
Anyone use the 15 lb soda blaster.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #123
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 725
This guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...light=lovingly

I'm not sure he used the HF model though.
He talks about a soda blaster and he's a cheap bastard so it's possible.
Very entertaining read at the very least.
It was more entertaining when there were pictures of his soda blaster disaster.
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #124
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
anything your life might depend on (i.e. jack stands).
got no problems crawling under my 8,000lb Cummings truck with HF jack stands. the set I use are so BEEFY, they have earned my trust. as a rule will never trust any one support while under any vehicle.

an American made hydraulic floor jack is backing up the HF jack stands. would not trust any Chinese made hydraulics or anything else as my only support.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #125
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
American made hydraulics probably would still be working great 50 years later. catch is American hydraulics could cost 5x $$$$. IHMO USA hydraulics have priced themselves out of the market. much rather purchase a used American made hydraulic floor jack vs a brand new HF floor jack.
Not out of the commercial market where they're used every day.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #126
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Not out of the commercial market where they're used every day.
gotta disagree .. got several floor jacks made in the 1930's and 50's that came from commercial garages that are still leak free and working great. Walker and Hein Warner jacks have done me well.

very few American made floor jacks are still available for sale. Milwaukee floor jacks will probably cost you about $850... that's just for a normal size one. IHMO American hydraulic mfg have priced themselves out of the market.

don't get me wrong... ALL mechanical equipment will at some point wear out, if used enough. but it takes a longggg time to wear out say an old Walker floor jack. (some were branded Snap-on)

rebuild kits for USA made floor jacks usually are about $70 and well worth rebuilding.
can't say the same about Chinese hydraulics, which I think of as throw away

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #127
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Just had a go with the Impact Driver while doing brakes on my 09 Civic. I was attempting to remove the screws that hold on the rotor to the hub. Each and every bit supplied was destroyed in a matter of minutes. I think they may have been formed from cheese. I threw everything in the garbage where it belongs.

At $5.99 I was not heartbroken, but those screws are not exactly hard work to remove. Major FAIL from me.
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #128
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
I have this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kit-37025.html

Works pretty well with sand. No clogging, and it worked well with my small compressor.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #129
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
gotta disagree .. got several floor jacks made in the 1930's and 50's that came from commercial garages that are still leak free and working great. Walker and Hein Warner jacks have done me well.

very few American made floor jacks are still available for sale. Milwaukee floor jacks will probably cost you about $850... that's just for a normal size one. IHMO American hydraulic mfg have priced themselves out of the market.

don't get me wrong... ALL mechanical equipment will at some point wear out, if used enough. but it takes a longggg time to wear out say an old Walker floor jack. (some were branded Snap-on)

rebuild kits for USA made floor jacks usually are about $70 and well worth rebuilding.
can't say the same about Chinese hydraulics, which I think of as throw away

I mean that the American companies haven't priced themselves out of the commercial market. I bought Rotary lifts because they have a five year warranty and if something fails, the vendor comes out and fixes or replaces it. Greg Smith sells lifts with a warranty. You send the part to them and they decide if it will be warrantied. Hmm, how long can I have a lift out of service?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #130
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I mean that the American companies haven't priced themselves out of the commercial market. I bought Rotary lifts because they have a five year warranty and if something fails, the vendor comes out and fixes or replaces it. Greg Smith sells lifts with a warranty. You send the part to them and they decide if it will be warrantied. Hmm, how long can I have a lift out of service?
opsss... thought you meant American made floor jacks would not survive commercial, day in day out use. American made hydraulics has gotten so high $$, most of the potential buyers .. meaning retail customers are no longer buyers.

the number of commercial customers are tiny compared to the retail market. high end consumers don't mind paying a premium, but not 5x $$.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #131
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
opsss... thought you meant American made floor jacks would not survive commercial, day in day out use. American made hydraulics has gotten so high $$, most of the potential buyers .. meaning retail customers are no longer buyers.

the number of commercial customers are tiny compared to the retail market. high end consumers don't mind paying a premium, but not 5x $$.
Actually, it's not that the high quality equipment has become more expensive, it's that the cheap stuff has become cheaper.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #132
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
The composite ratchets are surprisingly smooth and strong at under $10 and it won't freeze you widdle fingers when it's cold out:
+1!

Great buy!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #133
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Back on the point of this thread!

I picked up this a few days ago:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motoriz...kit-92801.html

Did this with it:

Not the best, but at $45 on sale it was great! Much better than trying to keep that long of a line level. BIG Pass.

At the same time I picked up one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-dr...art-95272.html

Got it half off, at only $149. Very impressed with the build quality, and the heft, at 170 pounds. It should hold up very well.

Pass.

Jim
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #134
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

The results from the laser level:

Plus I used cheap HF scraper and paint brushes for the clean up and cutting in.

Jim
Old 02-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #135
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The results from the laser level:..Plus I used cheap HF scraper and paint brushes for the clean up and cutting in...

That turned out awesome!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote