Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #2026
ewagman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09 View Post
I had the 44's and switched to the 60's, when looking at the lumens rating the 60's offer more than 50% more than the 44's, so in theory the light should travel farther...
Well, maybe......... actually that is my question. Does the 60's light go a greater distance further away than the 44's or do the 60's put their increased light with the same range lit up by the 44's? Does the increased light go more (or less) to the sides, like a spotlight compared to a floodlight? In the old days, we'd say it all depends on the optics of the reflector and lens, but the old days are gone. Is the little rounded recess that the square LED is mounted in the "reflector" which determines the light pattern?
ewagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #2027
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewagman View Post
Does the 60's light go a greater distance further away than the 44's
Yes, swag of about 30% farther, you will not outrun the lights. Same pattern as the 44, more light everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewagman View Post
In the old days, we'd say it all depends on the optics of the reflector and lens, but the old days are gone. Is the little rounded recess that the square LED is mounted in the "reflector" which determines the light pattern?
Mostly dependent on led design.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #2028
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Sanjoh,

I ordered the set of 44's, heavy brackets and dimmer on Monday and They arrived on the Left Coast today. Excellent communication helping me decide what to get and 3 day shipping coast to coast is great.

I will do the install in the next week or so and will hopefully be just as happy with the quality and power of the lights

I will post some pics of the lights on my new Tiger 800 XC., I will beusing the SW Motech mounting brackets.

Thanks.
Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 AM   #2029
FlyingPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Hey Sanjoh, I was about to place my order, but had a question about the light protection. After reading reports that the lens shatters easily, it seems like the $5 would be a worthwhile investment. I'm wondering if the yellow would be enough to tint the lights yellow, or if it's simply just visible when the lights are off.

I'm not looking to have the lights tinted yellow like fog lights, but I think the looks of the yellow lens would be nice assuming it doesn't rob the LEDs of too much light

I guess to rephrase the question, with the yellow lens cover, will the light output be more yellow or remain more white? I hope this makes sense....
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #2030
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
I guess to rephrase the question, with the yellow lens cover, will the light output be more yellow or remain more white? I hope this makes sense....
The lens does not break easily. Around 25k miles on the ninja without a failure with plenty of this:

and this

thousands of gravel miles

You don't say what model lights you are considering but the lower the output, the more yellow it will be. This also goes for dimming, so if you dim the lights, they will have more of a yellow tint. The xpel lens protection is optically clear so will have no effect on light output. We also offer clear if you want the protection without the color.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #2031
FlyingPig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
The lens does not break easily.

You don't say what model lights you are considering but the lower the output, the more yellow it will be. This also goes for dimming, so if you dim the lights, they will have more of a yellow tint. The xpel lens protection is optically clear so will have no effect on light output. We also offer clear if you want the protection without the color.
Thanks for the fast response!

I'm definitely considering the 60. Bigger is better, right?
I figure I'm already getting a dimmer so that it will still be another point of light at night without blinding others too badly.

So just to be clear, the tint on the yellow lens protection will have more of a yellow tint effect when the light is dimer, right? That makes perfect sense.

I was considering it in the first place since someone asked about replacing the glass a bit up in the thread. But now I'm kind of drawn to the edgier look.

Since I hopefully still have your attention, is installation simply just shoving it into the opening, or do I need a special strap wrench or anything to unscrew the cover?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #2032
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
Sanjoh,

I ordered the set of 44's, heavy brackets and dimmer on Monday and They arrived on the Left Coast today. Excellent communication helping me decide what to get and 3 day shipping coast to coast is great.

I will do the install in the next week or so and will hopefully be just as happy with the quality and power of the lights

I will post some pics of the lights on my new Tiger 800 XC., I will beusing the SW Motech mounting brackets.

Thanks.
Thanks, let us know if you need any assistance. Always best to have an electrical diagram before you start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
Thanks for the fast response!

I'm definitely considering the 60. Bigger is better, right?
I figure I'm already getting a dimmer so that it will still be another point of light at night without blinding others too badly.

So just to be clear, the tint on the yellow lens protection will have more of a yellow tint effect when the light is dimer, right? That makes perfect sense.

I was considering it in the first place since someone asked about replacing the glass a bit up in the thread. But now I'm kind of drawn to the edgier look.

Since I hopefully still have your attention, is installation simply just shoving it into the opening, or do I need a special strap wrench or anything to unscrew the cover?
Installation is simple, no disassembly required. The protection is squeegied on the lens. Direct from the manufacturer, Xpel support link with vids, pics.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #2033
Rustykfd
IBA #483

Oddometer: 83
60s are mounted

Wow lights received 2 days after ordering to Pac NW. Cannot beat that.

Mounted the 60s high and to the sides of my Aeroflow on the 1150 GS, I am impressed, I'll have to get her on the open road before I can report back on increased output. Around the house and around the block sure seem brighter.

Thanks again for the great service. This is my 3rd set of Sandjoh lights and always satisfied

Rusty
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #2034
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,808
Crikey - 60s!?!? Where will it end? Maybe I'll wait a while before upgrading, though the lights I have now are pretty fearsome - 10,000 lumens all up... Very nice...

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #2035
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by viz View Post
Crikey - 60s!?!? Where will it end? Maybe I'll wait a while before upgrading, though the lights I have now are pretty fearsome - 10,000 lumens all up... Very nice...

viz

Is there some type of lighting rehab program that we can get you into ?

Seriously though, thank you for your support.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #2036
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustykfd View Post
Wow lights received 2 days after ordering to Pac NW. Cannot beat that.

Mounted the 60s high and to the sides of my Aeroflow on the 1150 GS, I am impressed, I'll have to get her on the open road before I can report back on increased output. Around the house and around the block sure seem brighter.

Thanks again for the great service. This is my 3rd set of Sandjoh lights and always satisfied

Rusty
Thanks for the praise and I am glad you are enjoying our products.

Keep us posted on the road test and if you get chance post up some pics.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #2037
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Happy hump day ADVR inmates!! Two more days and it's time for a ride!!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #2038
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Another satisfied customer with model 60s sent us these pictures.

Distance shot

Close up

Stock low beam

Model 60s (neighbors thought the sun came up)
Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #2039
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,073
Sanjoh,
Just ordered three 44's, two for the bike, one to replace the POS light in my Hannigan sidecar, and a dimmer. Looking forward to some illumination and conspicuity.
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #2040
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
Is there some type of lighting rehab program that we can get you into ?

Seriously though, thank you for your support.

Its not rehab, but there is a support group.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote