Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #1531
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I like the few .22mag rifles that I have....but for a toy the ammo is pretty spendy....I would rather have a normal 22....I think it would get more use.
A lot more $$$ and noise for the same size hole.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #1532
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Pmr 30

I have the KT PMR 30. I have around 350 rounds through it. It has a good trigger and great capacity of what is an adequate round for several uses at least in my opinion. It has been accurate, fun, and functional with just one stoppage that I can recall.

My main problem with it is that it is so light and comfortable to carry that it has turned into a concealed carry for me. The 22 mag is not my really the perfect defense cartridge but the fact that I am confident that I could put 25 rounds (I split a box of ammo between the two mags) center mass in a matter of seconds makes it acceptable. What is more important in the matter is that I actually carry it where I tend to leave the heavy weapons at home.

mod edit: img removed-- tripping malware filters

Jurgen screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 10:06 PM
TALLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:36 AM   #1533
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALLGUY View Post
I have the KT PMR 30. I have around 350 rounds through it. It has a good trigger and great capacity of what is an adequate round for several uses at least in my opinion. It has been accurate, fun, and functional with just one stoppage that I can recall.

My main problem with it is that it is so light and comfortable to carry that it has turned into a concealed carry for me. The 22 mag is not my really the perfect defense cartridge but the fact that I am confident that I could put 25 rounds (I split a box of ammo between the two mags) center mass in a matter of seconds makes it acceptable. What is more important in the matter is that I actually carry it where I tend to leave the heavy weapons at home.
A can agree with that...to carry a 22 vs the (X) sitting at home. And putting follow-up shots where you want them to go...there is also the old argument that I would not want to be shot with one.

Infact, one of the guys last night was talking to the wife about just this hand gun...they are going to bring out some different things for her to try (J-frame and a few others) as well as her bringing her existing small guns...the bersa and the little Tarus 38 to see if it is a mechanics issue...bad hold, suggest different grips and such.

The thing that has me worried is (this will not mean much to the folks not in KC) she works at the downtown airport...we live out past Lone Jack (think inner city and VERY country)...sometimes when the highway gets slow she will jump off and take short cuts through....well lets say not the most fantastic areas of town. That is what worries me and why I think she should carry daily.

Myself I don't even have my CCW...never felt the need....I work with 100 guys that open carry every day.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #1534
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I like the few .22mag rifles that I have....but for a toy the ammo is pretty spendy....I would rather have a normal 22....I think it would get more use.
Yeah if they made that chambered in .22LR with the 30 rd clip I would have a case of drool you couldn't sop up with a roll of paper towels.

It still looks awful though.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #1535
TALLGUY
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
PMR 30 for a new shooter?

I am not sure I could recommmend the PMR to a new shooter, especially one with small hands.

The length of the cartridge makes the grip long (Front to back).

The recoil it produces surprises all the experienced shooters I have handed it to.

I personally think it is "louder" than most centerfires that I shoot, but I have never measured the decibles and I wear muffs at the range so that could just be my perception.

There is a considerable muzzle flash that could be bothersome in low light conditions.

For whatever reason the round is "dirty" I think mostly due to the short barrel and long powder column resulting in some unburned powder and significant muzzle flash.

Obviously I am very happy with mine but as far as your friends wife it wouldn't be a weapon I could suggest.

I also agree that as far as economics go it is still expensive to shoot compared to a .22LR. Not much cost savings over centerfires.

Again like I said I like the gun and if they quit making them and I was offered 3x what I paid for it I would not sell it. I find it to be a versatile round in a nice package with great capacity.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #1536
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
Yeah if they made that chambered in .22LR with the 30 rd clip I would have a case of drool you couldn't sop up with a roll of paper towels.

It still looks awful though.
I can get past looks....but the price of the ammo is the sticking point with me....I would bet they will make one in LR.

Right now the 22 that is getting the most use is the GSG 1911....that thing is just flat fun....and I have only found one type of ammo it hates.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #1537
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,200
Have I mentioned how much I love my GSG 1911? This gun is just too much fun to shoot. Popped off a couple hundred rounds at lunch. I finally got the sites dialed in. The gun is more accurate than I am. Thats the first rounds I have put through it with the Hogue grip and WOW is so much more comfortable. My hogue, reddot and AFG for the 15-22 should be at home waiting on me this evening

Heading to the gun show with my Dad tomorrow, hard to tell what I might drag home
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #1538
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,012
Well it's not the greatest picture but here is what I have been interested in lately.
The MKlll is my wifes because it is very light and easy for her to keep on target.
The other two 22/45's are mine, a stock one and a TacSol buildup.
The 10/22 is a Houge OM, stock heavy barrel tactical 16", with a VQ trigger.
This is my favorite to shoot because it makes it so easy to hit a quarter @ 50yrds.

* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #1539
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Well it's not the greatest picture but here is what I have been interested in lately.
The MKlll is my wifes because it is very light and easy for her to keep on target.
The other two 22/45's are mine, a stock one and a TacSol buildup.
The 10/22 is a Houge OM, stock heavy barrel tactical 16", with a VQ trigger.
This is my favorite to shoot because it makes it so easy to hit a quarter @ 50yrds.

yeah, yeah,... what about the bike in the picture??
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #1540
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
My trusty Winchester...
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #1541
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
yeah, yeah,... what about the bike in the picture??
That's a modified Buell S1. When it ran it was the best handling bike I ever had, or will have. It blew up twice, fixed under warranty. The third time I fixed it myself and traded it quick, before I put a bullet in it and put me out of my misery. Best and worst bike I owned.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #1542
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,666
I was out camping with some friends last night, and the neighbor's hound treed a possum and would... not... shut... up. Owner pulled out an AR-7, put it together, and handed it to me since his night vision was hell. After 2 shots to figure out the sight, I quickly dispatched the beast and made the hound happy when the rodent hit the ground... dog had it in his mouth on the bounce.

And there was peace.

Owner says, with CCI ammo, no misfires on that gun. I may have to spring for one, even though I was kind of holding out for a Papoose, but nobody seems to have them in stock here.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #1543
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I was out camping with some friends last night, and the neighbor's hound treed a possum and would... not... shut... up. Owner pulled out an AR-7, put it together, and handed it to me since his night vision was hell. After 2 shots to figure out the sight, I quickly dispatched the beast and made the hound happy when the rodent hit the ground... dog had it in his mouth on the bounce.

And there was peace.

Owner says, with CCI ammo, no misfires on that gun. I may have to spring for one, even though I was kind of holding out for a Papoose, but nobody seems to have them in stock here.
Kürbczech has an AR7.

Only shot it once with rem gold bulk. Missfire every now and then but mostly good, still needs to be cleaned and broken in but it's a fun plinker.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #1544
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post

And there was peace.

AR-7s are OK, but if it was me I'd hold out for the Papoose. And a possum is a marsupial, not a rodent.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #1545
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
AR-7s are OK, but if it was me I'd hold out for the Papoose. And a possum is a marsupial, not a rodent.
Varmint, either way.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: