Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #42331
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,369
Thats very cool Elvis. Seems they dont get to shoot in the Military as much anymore. I've got a young friend thats in the Marines, he's shot an M16 a few times, but no pistol training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis70 View Post
I got my expert pistol shot medal in the Navy with a WWII vintage 1911. That was a series of timed shoots all drawn from the holster starting at 25 yards and working down to 7 feet I think. The last one was 2 shots only, I always did head shots on that one. One or two of the required speed reloading in the middle. If you got a jam, too bad, better be able to clear it quickly. You also had one where in the middle you had to switch and shoot with your off hand for a couple. That took some practice. You shot I think 68 rounds for a total of 340 max points (5 per bullseye) on paper human torso targets. Minimum of 330 for expert so almost all had to be bulls eyes.

That did not make me a badass, that meant I could shoot a gun straight, and quickly under pressure. No bigger accomplishment than being able to bowl well.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #42332
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
If not for the fact I was in the Auxilliry Security Forces(Basically Reserve Navy Police) at NAS Whidbey Island I would never have fired a gun in my entire time in the Navy. Normally you fired a 1911 with a .22 barrel installed at the indoor range in bootcamp but when I was going through it was being renovated. I think they stopped it all together now though.

I also did the practical weapons qualification course with the Mossberg 500 and Remington 700 I think it was. Was a timed course 3 minutes running from station to station. About the same distances. Included shooting from the hip and combat dry reloading. As I recall 00 Buck, which is what we fired had 11 pellets in it, and you fired 2 at each target and had to have 9 holes in each to pass, plus finish on time. Was fun, I like blowing up other people's money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Thats very cool Elvis. Seems they dont get to shoot in the Military as much anymore. I've got a young friend thats in the Marines, he's shot an M16 a few times, but no pistol training.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #42333
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,861
Bunch of kids.....

Back in the fun days....

I had to use the M1 from WWII or Korea, no pistols allowed as we was not ossifers....

Most of us okie & arki & tex kids shot expert with them old rifles that the bullet went through the target sideways most of the time. he he he We had a gallery of range ossifers watch cause they did not believe the stories they were hearing..... We had a grreat line Sarge, he laid the law down to the company Sargents that we were not to do any cleaning or messing with the weapons between range days so we could get used to where they actually shot. ( take one apart & clean it, then it don't shoot the same no matter what the super spooks do on TV with their snap together long range weapons.... LOL ) Hummm, new trech, hummm.... Charlie, you disassemble your weapon after sight in then go out in the filed and put it together and make any long touches? )

Most fun was the crawl under the bob wire with real 50 cal machine guns with garden hose water jackets sending a lot of trace rounds right over you On guy saw a snake and jumped up, they could not stop shooting quick nuff and he became our lesson of the day. Not my platoon. The full stick of plain old dynamite they set off in the depressions right next to us would just about bounce us into the gun fire.

One of our platoon had to be driven with a bayonet through the course by the platoon Sargent. Man was Sarge pissed. Drew blood from that kids ass but by golly, he went through it.

More guys screwed up the night infiltration course than anything....

Platoon ahead of us had a kid panic and he jumped up and started running setting off every trip wire in the place. It looked like the 4th of July on the Hudson. What a hoot. They got off the 50's in time for that kid.

December, January & February of 1961-2 at Ft Carson, Colorado. Fun times if you could take the cold.....
Old 02-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #42334
Dragon43
If you insist.

Oddometer: 5,861
You know, sitting around playing on the puter is my kind of moving. Have to go back for more stuff but not today. He he he ...
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #42335
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,376
Quote:
If not for the fact I was in the Auxilliry Security Forces(Basically Reserve Navy Police) at NAS Whidbey Island I would never have fired a gun in my entire time in the Navy. Normally you fired a 1911 with a .22 barrel installed at the indoor range in bootcamp but when I was going through it was being renovated. I think they stopped it all together now though.

I also did the practical weapons qualification course with the Mossberg 500 and Remington 700 I think it was. Was a timed course 3 minutes running from station to station. About the same distances. Included shooting from the hip and combat dry reloading. As I recall 00 Buck, which is what we fired had 11 pellets in it, and you fired 2 at each target and had to have 9 holes in each to pass, plus finish on time. Was fun, I like blowing up other people's money.
In 69 we went to Marine shooting range and shot m-1's and never saw a Pistol until I got in Crypto then we got an Axe and a 1911 that had not been shot in years but got cleaned every now and then...Im not even sure we had any ammo. Prob the Barney allotment of 1.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #42336
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,922
I love it, was kinda going back and forth between it and the MSAR, just happens a buddy had the FN he wanted to sell. I've been shooting a lot of that cheap russian ammo through it and never have FTF's or FTE's. The thing is dead nuts accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Those are sweet guns Albie! I've got an MSAR STG 5.56. I'm a fan of bullpups too! How do you like the FS2000? I keep telling myself I dont need one.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #42337
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno View Post
I shoot my 1911 better at 25yds than I do any of my other pistols at 10yds. JMO
I've never liked the grip of the 1911. Just doesn't fit my hand.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #42338
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
I prefer the qoute from the fella chasing him, "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining". Lot of good ones in that movie. A true classic.
No doubt, one of my all time fav movies.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #42339
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've never liked the grip of the 1911. Just doesn't fit my hand.
That explains your H-D comment. It's OK, Gaston's plastic pile doesn't fit mine.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #42340
joenuclear
Planning.....

Hey Ted, WestArk Yamaha has a Super Ten in the window. She says they're gonna have a demo ride day soon.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #42341
Elvis70 OP
No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer: 5,053
Where is that? I love to burn other peoples gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Hey Ted, WestArk Yamaha has a Super Ten in the window. She says they're gonna have a demo ride day soon.
I'll tape it to the handlebars, it's just logic George! If your hand is broken, you tape it to the bars! - Evil Knievel's reply to George Hamiliton's question, "How will you jump with a broken hand?".
Elvis70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #42342
joenuclear
Planning.....

Quote:
Where is that? I love to burn other peoples gas.
Fort Smith
Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #42343
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,929
Quote:
That did not make me a badass, that meant I could shoot a WEAPON straight
Do I need to have Doc come over and teach you the difference between a WEAPON and a gun? Damn rookies...
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #42344
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Sweet thanks, I'm sure I'll like how they ride but it's always fun to ride one for free. Fayetteville Kawasaki has a black and a blue one. I'm not looking forward to farkling a new bike so I'm not in too big of hurry to sell the beemer.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #42345
Arkmozark
M.C.

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I see them pop up on Craigslist all the time. you should be able to find say a 6X10 in great shape for $1200-1500. Older, weathered ones in the $1K range. With a little work and not much money you can make one into a real nice overnight camping setup like I've done with mine.
Bike hauling/camping project. 12X7 "V" nose. I have built and added a few things like windows, insulation, carpeted the walls, upper storage, folding counter, wheel chock, tie downs, etc. Still have more to do to get it completed.