User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Cross Country Towing

Not really immediately adventure related, but motorcycle logistics nonetheless.

Alright, lets say I needed to get two passenger cars and a motorcycle from the East coast to the West. Two drivers, one way trip, and one of the cars is not capable of making the trip under it's own power.

My original though was to get a uhaul box truck and car trailer, strap the motorcycle inside the truck, and tow the inoperable car, but man is that expen$ive.

Next thought was to rent a pick-em-up truck and car trailer, but come to find out neither Uhaul nor regular car rental places let you drive them cross country (probably for the very reason I'm trying to rent it for).

So what else is there that I can do? Ship the broken car and ride out? We'd have no problem fitting everything we'd be taking in any of the car-car-truck combinations, but only two packed cars and a bike might be a little too lean as far as belongings goes.

GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 386
What kind of cars are you dealing with? Is flat towing the bad one an option?

My first thought would be buying a used tow vehicle with some decent resale value on the other side. I guess you could do the same thing with a trailer if the budget would allow.

Good luck.
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed523 View Post
What kind of cars are you dealing with? Is flat towing the bad one an option?

My first thought would be buying a used tow vehicle with some decent resale value on the other side. I guess you could do the same thing with a trailer if the budget would allow.

Good luck.
Non-functional car is an Subaru WRX, so it would have to have all four wheels off the ground.

I actually have a trailer for the Subaru that the bike could go on. I normally get 28 mpg Highway on the WRX, around 18 when I'm towing, but given it's fuel and electronics related issues (not sure what it is yet, and don't have the money to diagnose), it's getting 10 right now. Given that, and the fact that I want the trailer to stay on the East coast, I've had to seek other options...

I like that idea, although that's another money issue.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Contact some moving companies and see what they would charge. The large Vans can easily fit small cars and If it can go with a partial load you can get a price break. Advertise on Craigslist for someone making a trip to the area you want, eventually someone should have room on a trailer for that small a car. Nothing will be cheap or painless tho so quit thinking there is some magic way you haven't thought of yet.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_708 View Post
Contact some moving companies and see what they would charge. The large Vans can easily fit small cars and If it can go with a partial load you can get a price break. Advertise on Craigslist for someone making a trip to the area you want, eventually someone should have room on a trailer for that small a car. Nothing will be cheap or painless tho so quit thinking there is some magic way you haven't thought of yet.
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn haha. That's what I've been fearing, I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else haha
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
ironbutt84
Time Traveler

Oddometer: 139
Some info, from where to where exactly? What cars and what bike? When?
ironbutt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt84 View Post
Some info, from where to where exactly? What cars and what bike? When?
02 WRX, 98 VW Beetle, 07 F650GS from Winston Salem NC to San Diego, CA, probably inside the next month or two.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Post adds on every board you belong to looking for trailer space from someone heading that way in the next couple of months. You may end up finding someone with a empty trailer who will do it for gas money. While you need to be very careful with craigslist if you can find someone who belongs to a board and is known there you are a step ahead.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 793
both those cars are small, you might find a car hualer who can fit those cars with the bike.

if you do not mind your bike riding out side in the weather and road wash for the trip,

you will still need to pay retail for the cars but the bike would be free.

still looking at the $800 per car range maybe more

you will need to be there to help drive load and tie down the bike with your own straps.

OR

if you rent a 24ft box ( large uhaul) your awd car will fit inside with your bike, then tow bug with a car dolly.

just hire a local tow company ramp truck to load car into rental box truck,

if you do this PM and I explain how to tie car down inside box truck

still big money in fuel for those renalt truck plus truck are not cheap

good luck

sailer screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 08:07 PM
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 833
Hey, how'd it all turn out? I'm looking to get two cars and two bikes from NH to CA. Any words of wisdom from your experience?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
GoGoGavin41 OP
Isn't this that guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
Hey, how'd it all turn out? I'm looking to get two cars and two bikes from NH to CA. Any words of wisdom from your experience?
Well, I'm still waiting to hear back about this job. And to be totally honest, my Subaru is becoming more trouble than I have time to deal with, so it might not come with us. Wish I could offer some advice, but I don't really have any to give, I'm still in pretty much the same spot I was when I made this post.