Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #811
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspirit View Post
To marginalize this bike as some 125 scooter is just silly. You could compare it to BMW 600 scooter for whatever that costs.

It seems to fit in with the Versys and Wee, but all three seem very different. I could see there may be some advantage for the honda producing torque at low revs off road but the Wee is the master of all trades.
Comparing the NC700 to a Versys or a Wee is a stretch IMO.

The NC700 moto-scooter is only a bit cheaper, but is heavier and significantly less powerful than both.

Comparing scooters and motorcycles is a bit of an apples-oranges comparison, no?
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #812
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBKK View Post
Comparing the NC700 to a Versys or a Wee is a stretch IMO.

The NC700 moto-scooter is only a bit cheaper, but is heavier and significantly less powerful than both.

Comparing scooters and motorcycles is a bit of an apples-oranges comparison, no?
I can see what you mean, that because it is down on hp, it's not even in the same class as the other two. Very similar riding position between the three however.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #813
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
so has anyone gone down to their honda dealer and put down a deposit???
we can & do talk till we're blue in the face, sales are the true test if this bike flies or not. been reading how 2012 strom sales are doing well.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #814
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Trying to decide if this or a Deauville will better suit me... so torn.
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #815
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discojon75 View Post
Trying to decide if this or a Deauville will better suit me... so torn.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could get a test ride?

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #816
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
In the latest issue of BIKE they had a short review of this bike, and they reported 50% better mileage than the Kawasaki 650 twin. 64mpg for the Honda vs. 42mpg for the Kawi, and the Honda had a top speed run done on that tank of gas.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #817
scooterspirit
Ilovekitty

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
In the latest issue of BIKE they had a short review of this bike, and they reported 50% better mileage than the Kawasaki 650 twin. 64mpg for the Honda vs. 42mpg for the Kawi, and the Honda had a top speed run done on that tank of gas.
Here is a fuelly log of the NC700x. Average 67.8 US for the first 800miles- she gets better than my 250.
Looks like it holds an honest 3 gallons, two entries with 220 miles between fill ups.
http://www.fuelly.com/driver/serfiesa/nc700x
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #818
varaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so has anyone gone down to their honda dealer and put down a deposit???
we can & do talk till we're blue in the face, sales are the true test if this bike flies or not. been reading how 2012 strom sales are doing well.
Where did you read that?
varaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #819
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I wonder if he was using the odometer or GPS? My Honda has a very optimistic odometer.
That is the kind of mileage I wanted to hear! I get around 30 mpg in this cold weather on my Goldwing 1200 I.
I do have a tendency to open her up frequently though. If I keep it at 55mph and lower, and ride with an easy hand I can get around 47mpg.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #820
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
I'll tell you who might buy it, a guy like me whose 68 and has ridden over 50 years and has severe nerve damage in his clutch hand. I'm having more and more trouble with my fingers locking straight so I can't pull the clutch. I realize I'm an unusual candidate but I'm going to have a look at the dtc model.
I just read this whole freekin thread in one sitting -- guess 'cause it started out funny (dead horse on post 24).

One point: Think you'll have trouble finding DCT on a scooter. It's a lot different from CVT ("rubber-band") on Mana, or conventional automatic in a Pontiac. DCT has low power losses like manual trans, because basically is a manual trans -- but can shift/clutch much faster. And yeah, it can do that when I don't really want to think about it, too. Sounds like a good idea to me (even if some car reviewers aren't fond of "flappy paddles"). DCT will show up on race bikes, just as race cars.

I wish more bikes offered DCT option, and I consider that one of the best parts of this NC offering. (See, not really a hijack after all.)

(DCT is more like the shuttle shift on my backhoe than the CVT of the Mana. But that probably doesn't help my argument very much.)

Guess we'll have to wait for some comparos and real numbers. Or our own test rides. Just like others said about 500 posts ago.
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #821
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,243
Hey at least DCT is easier to pronounce for English speakers than "Doppelkupplungsgetriebe".

Don't know what the Japanese pronunciation would be.

Small mercies and all that..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #822
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post

I can't agree that Transalp have lots of torque low down. Worked on them (one in pieces in garage now), rode them, repaired them - never remember any impressive torque from those. Smooth - yes.
I wasn't refering toTransalps in my earlier post, but as you brought it up....Transalps, yes they are old these days, but I have yet to find anything I like better, mine aren't in pieces, they do however transport myself, wife and all our camping kit around the Pyrenees pretty well I would say; torque enough there I assure you...

I just wish as most do that Honda would give us a real world Transalp/Africa Twin modern replacement really, bet you do too.

Cheers
Potski
Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #823
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
Indeed. Part of my dislike for NC comes from sheer frustration - I was SO hoping they will make contemporary AT or TA - with some lovely 90 degrees twin deriving from Superhawk or Varadero or just parallel twin a-la Yamaha TDM. I am sure interest amongst riders would be great. They failed to deliver this with TA700 simply because of parts bin approach (= heavy)

I actually like old TAs - 600 and first 650 - dependable, predictable and neutral handling. And old AT - 650 (supercool bike).
Except of course when I have to fix pistons/rings :( because of amount of work required to remove all bits and pieces and need to take motor out - TA pretty intense for old bike. And I am spoiled by simplicity of my Suzuki DR800 and Honda Superhawk 1000.

I secretly was hoping they would build light Varadero with same motor :) because I love that engine but hate 270 kg of bulk on Vara.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #824
potski
Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Indeed. Part of my dislike for NC comes from sheer frustration - I was SO hoping they will make contemporary AT or TA - with some lovely 90 degrees twin deriving from Superhawk or Varadero or just parallel twin a-la Yamaha TDM. I am sure interest amongst riders would be great. They failed to deliver this with TA700 simply because of parts bin approach (= heavy)

I actually like old TAs - 600 and first 650 - dependable, predictable and neutral handling. And old AT - 650 (supercool bike).
Except of course when I have to fix pistons/rings :( because of amount of work required to remove all bits and pieces and need to take motor out - TA pretty intense for old bike. And I am spoiled by simplicity of my Suzuki DR800 and Honda Superhawk 1000.

I secretly was hoping they would build light Varadero with same motor :) because I love that engine but hate 270 kg of bulk on Vara.
Yes, it seems so obvious, why oh why don't Honda make the machine we are all hankering for. Each time a new bike comes into the fray we hope this is it ...the 700 Transalp and now the nc700x in their current forms at least are unfortunatly not.
BTW, just did a big service on my 88 Alp, and had forgotten what a pain the tappets are to do, especially when every one of them was fine when I eventually got to them.....still love them though.

Cheers
Potski
Old 02-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #825
nails1
nails1

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Hey at least DCT is easier to pronounce for English speakers than "Doppelkupplungsgetriebe".

Don't know what the Japanese pronunciation would be.

Small mercies and all that..
No need for German -- just "dual-clutch transmission". Instead of a clutch between the trans and engine, it has a clutch on each countershaft. Odd-numbered gears are on one countershaft, and even ones on the other. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, 1st-gear countershaft clutch is closed, and other clutch is open. It engages 2nd gear, then opens the 1st countershaft clutch whilst closing the 2nd countershaft clutch. The clutches and shift forks are under electro-servo control, but otherwise it's just a conventional manual trans.

CVT is a belt between two pulleys that can change diameter, much like the "torque converter" centrifugal clutch I put on my go-cart in 1976. Because the pulleys can vary over the range, it's "continuously-variable" (the Mana circuitry jumps across this continuum in pseudo-gears). AFAIK, all mopeds use CVT. Kinda cool in my Murano, but DCT is way cooler.

Last year we took the Mini Cooper down the Pacific Coast Hwy. Driving briskly, we got passed by a Ferrari. It's DCT was definitely cool, especially all wound out. But it's okay with me if working the clutch and shift forks manually is mo' cooler for you.

One journo noted that the NC needed paddling, and that automating that (DCT) made a lot of sense (he was on non-DCT). I have trouble reconciling that with the purported wide powerband. Also not sure how DCT would really feel at the NC's more pedestrian rpms. At this point, it's too much reading and too little riding. Just like your post #2 said it would be.

nails1 screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 09:11 AM
nails1 is offline   Reply With Quote