ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #181
markdvk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
markdvk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Harrodsburg, KY
Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Yes, I've lost one nipple and others were close. Lots of off road and didn't check them.

Bent both wheels and will be sending them off for a straightening and true.

When I get them back it will be a dose of green lock-tite and check them more often.

Here is a thread from another forum.

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2311.0
You may reconsider using green lock-tite. It's not just the nipples turning that makes a spoke loose. The head of the spoke seats into the rim and the nipple is seating into the hub. If you do use GREEN lock-tite, the next time the wheel needs truing or a spoke is loose, you'll likely be buying a full set of spokes (Yamaha doesn't usually sell singles). Applying heat might allow you to turn the nipple if it has GREEN on it though. If you're set on using Lock-tite, maybe the blue would be a better choice.

We've been a Yamaha dealer since 1977. Over that time, they have had years where they were all perfect and years were they were all loose. On YZ's in the early 90's they were often too loose when they came out of the crate. Recently we haven't sold very many YZ's but the ones I've checked have been fine. Actually it's the dealer's responsibility to check the spokes before predelivery to the customer. It's easy to get complacent when you check them on 50 Vstars in a row and don't find a loose spoke. We have an S10 on the floor and haven't checked it. I'll do that an post back if I remember to.
__________________
Mark
Harrodsburg, KY
www.leesinc.com
markdvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #182
japako
Studly Adventurer
 
japako's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdvk View Post
You may reconsider using green lock-tite. It's not just the nipples turning that makes a spoke loose. The head of the spoke seats into the rim and the nipple is seating into the hub. If you do use GREEN lock-tite, the next time the wheel needs truing or a spoke is loose, you'll likely be buying a full set of spokes (Yamaha doesn't usually sell singles). Applying heat might allow you to turn the nipple if it has GREEN on it though. If you're set on using Lock-tite, maybe the blue would be a better choice.

We've been a Yamaha dealer since 1977. Over that time, they have had years where they were all perfect and years were they were all loose. On YZ's in the early 90's they were often too loose when they came out of the crate. Recently we haven't sold very many YZ's but the ones I've checked have been fine. Actually it's the dealer's responsibility to check the spokes before predelivery to the customer. It's easy to get complacent when you check them on 50 Vstars in a row and don't find a loose spoke. We have an S10 on the floor and haven't checked it. I'll do that an post back if I remember to.
I have used loctite green thread locker 290 and have never had to apply heat to remove the screw or bolt I was working on. Perhaps you are thinking of Loctite green sleeve retainer.
Loctite does recommend using heat on extremely long screw lengths. The spokes do not have that problem.

As with anything, using this product judiciously, will insure proper results.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:40 AM   #183
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,314
Rules of thumb for the Lock-Tite colors are:

Red takes heat and for things that generally will not be taken apart.

Green wicks into the threads of a fastener already torqued up. Never found to need heat to loosen.

Blue is general purpose and better for the looser clearances of most hardware, especially those being taken apart on occasion.
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #184
dually
Adventurer
 
dually's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: New England
Oddometer: 71
New super tenere' worldcrosser!

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...-worldcrosser/

Here's the new Super Tenere' Worldcrosser!

Dually
dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #185
carockwell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 229
I don't think you want to be using Loctite on spoke threads. The bicycle wheel builders have using spoke nipple lubricants for 30+ years. This stuff was magic when it first appeared from Wheelsmith. Rims that needed truing every month or so could go years without needing to be trued. Most bike stores carry spoke lubricants.
carockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #186
WildSte
Orienteering Runner
 
WildSte's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Staffoli, Pisa (ITA)
Oddometer: 75
pics

Pics from the expo moto Verona
super tenere World Crosser
http://www.motoblog.it/post/34891/ya...bike-expo-2012
__________________
BMW R12ooGS MY08
WildSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #187
desmo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
desmo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: South Florida
Oddometer: 229
optiona lheadlight cover

I am looking for the factury optional headlight cover. The local dealers say it is not a US option! They show it on their advertisment posters????
__________________
2002 BMW 1150GSA (some changes)
2003 BMW 1100s BCR(140/200)
1994 BMW R100GS (Bumble Bee)
2007 Guzzi Cali Vintage (skunk seat)
2001 Porsche 911 (Speed Yellow)
desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #188
japako
Studly Adventurer
 
japako's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: North Texas
Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo View Post
I am looking for the factury optional headlight cover. The local dealers say it is not a US option! They show it on their advertisment posters????
That part is not available from the US dealers. You can order it through Yamabits which is in the UK.

Cee Baily makes one that looks pretty good and I am installing when the temps get a little warmer..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #189
CravenMoorhead
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 8
I have the Cee Bailey headlight screen (sent by mistake instead of wind wings) and it is all good.
CravenMoorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #190
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,784
Why!

The headlite cover? Not needed cause the light is plastic, not $450. glass like the GS12.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #191
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
The headlite cover? Not needed cause the light is plastic, not $450. glass like the GS12.
This time the BMW is cheaper. List price for the Super T headlight is $459 and good luck finding a used one.
__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #192
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: NW
Oddometer: 55
Michelin Anakee Tires

I'm trying to get some feedback from riders using the Michelin Anakee dual-sport tires. How do they react to gravel roads, dirt 2-track roads, calcium based roads?? I'd like to hear from GS, or XT1200 Tenere riders that have taken a long trip loaded with gear.
wescnmbkr1
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #193
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader
 
RED CAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canada
Oddometer: 2,784
Anakee 2s!

Is the prefered tire in our group of 6 GS riders. Lots of pavement, gravel road riding and forest service roads. Find them better than all the rest with good wear too. Like all streety tires though, no good in sand or mud but great everywhere else.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #194
wescnmbkr1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: NW
Oddometer: 55
Anakee Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Is the prefered tire in our group of 6 GS riders. Lots of pavement, gravel road riding and forest service roads. Find them better than all the rest with good wear too. Like all streety tires though, no good in sand or mud but great everywhere else.
Red Cat---Thanks for the good Anakee tire recomendation. Your descriptive answer is what I was hoping to read.
wescnmbkr1
wescnmbkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #195
GrahamD OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Is the prefered tire in our group of 6 GS riders. Lots of pavement, gravel road riding and forest service roads. Find them better than all the rest with good wear too. Like all streety tires though, no good in sand or mud but great everywhere else.
2nd that, they are good things on the street-ier end of the spectrum. Had one on the Strom for a bit.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014