Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #91
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
Bump. Would like to know what people DON'T like about the wolfman bags. I'm about to pull the trigger....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Internal butterfly stiffeners tend to curl up and become a PIA to deal with.

Other than that no complaints.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #92
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Bump. Would like to know what people DON'T like about the wolfman bags. I'm about to pull the trigger....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The size. They could be a little bit bigger. I'm not a heavy packer so its fine with me.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #93
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoran View Post
Internal butterfly stiffeners tend to curl up and become a PIA to deal with.

Other than that no complaints.
yeah that too but i fixed it by adding the very cheap walmart trash cans. they work perfect! (see previous page)
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #94
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I wished I would have bought black instead of yellow . I bought 4 bottles and holders to encrease range . Motostrano seems to have the best deal .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #95
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
the exp dry saddle bags look like a great idea from wolfman. I know that material is very tough and watertight cause i have the duffle
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #96
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
They seemed nice enough to me when I got them on my WR250X, but they are a royal pain in rear to get on and off the bike. Totally solid once mounted, but they have about a gazillion straps and hoops and loops and I hated every single one of them.

Sold them with my WR and never want to deal with them again. I'll either use my Ortlieb RackPack or a Giant Loop bag next time I want soft luggage.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #97
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
While they're not as easy as fitted luggage to strap them on in the morning and take them off in the evening is really not a big deal.

That being said, if you were dealing with that half a dozen times a day I could see it becoming tiresome.
Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #98
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
While they're not as easy as fitted luggage to strap them on in the morning and take them off in the evening is really not a big deal.
It was on in the morning, off in the evening. After 5 days I hated them.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #99
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
I've got the Wolfman Tetons - same bags but in the ballistic nylon. Can't be bothered taking the bags on and off - Winding Roads had these Exped XL Dry Bags which fit perefctly. Made the Tetons totally waterproof and just pull the dry bags out when I stop. Simple.

It's the green one in the photo -

Old 02-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #100
Ironfish653
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 61
Mounting Directly to Bike

Anyone running the Wolfman EXP's without racks?

I like to run soft bags on my DL650 to keep the rear narrow, and I like the waterproof nature of the Wolfman bags.

I've got the stock heat shield on the right side, and a Dan Vessel -style bag support on the left side.

I don't mind making a harness for them, but I don't want to to a whole lot of hacking on a $200 set of bags, just to get them on the bike.
Ironfish653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #101
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfish653 View Post
Anyone running the Wolfman EXP's without racks?

I like to run soft bags on my DL650 to keep the rear narrow, and I like the waterproof nature of the Wolfman bags.

I've got the stock heat shield on the right side, and a Dan Vessel -style bag support on the left side.

I don't mind making a harness for them, but I don't want to to a whole lot of hacking on a $200 set of bags, just to get them on the bike.
The big issue is with the heat coming of the exhaust, if you can sort that, then it may be worth getting in touch with Wolfman directly. They used to do a fitting kit to fit the bags without racks, but withdrew it after problems with a couple of people fitting them directly across the exhaust, despite warnings, and then wondering why they had a hole burnt through. If you understand the risks, they may still have some fixings in stock and might supply.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #102
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Trigger Pulled, gun smoking

Just ordered them from Wolfman along with racks and TWO gas bags and TWO 24 inch expedition roll up duffels, all in Black. My DRZ 400 is black and my helmet is black and my outfit is black. I'm a totally black rider and love to lurk in the shadows. I stealth camp 95% of the time and want to be invisible at night. I needed packs that simply cannot get wet. And that will stay attached to the bike no matter what. Once I run them through their paces I'll post about my experience.
inbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #103
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,389
the cure for saggy bags

I love my expedition bags but the flimsy internal butterfly stiffeners were really pissing me off. Inspired by fbj913's garbage can trick I decided to follow suit. Visiting Walmart I came across these plastic garbage pails. The base is slightly smaller than the wolfman bag and it tapers slightly outward towards the top. They are also nice and stout.

I cut them down to 11 1/2 inches tall using a hacksaw blade, filed the edges to remove burrs and drilled a small hole in the bottom to allow air to escape when inserting them into the saddlebags.

It's a tight fit. All of the buckles need to be undone to get it in there.

The result:

No more saggy bags! Plus since the inside is white I can actually see the contents.

Last step, toss the originals into the trash.

sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #104
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
1. Lovely set up on that 990!

2. With so many people making the same criticism, and spending time and money engineering solutions, it's almost like Wolfman might find it worth their while to either change their product or explain why it's done that way.

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #105
Snowbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I like the bags" soft" .I use compression bags for my tent ,sleeping bag ,clothes ,pellow ,etc. I just bought a set of Givi racks to mount the Expedition bags on . Berg or Wolfman offer no alternative for my 1150 GS. I jerryrigged the previous mounts on a rail set of Happy Trail Racks. I hope this will be a lot cleaner .I like the soft look because I want the motorcycle as narrow as possible .
2001 R 1150 GS 1978 R 100RS 1976 XT-500 1964 CL-72
1955 CJ-5 1975 F-250 Highboy
Snowbound is offline   Reply With Quote