Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #61
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I'm pretty sure that lithium cobalt and LiPo are still used in portable devices due to their greater energy capacity. A123's major advantage over LiPo and lithium cobalt is safety when charging and if physically compromised. LiPo has a better energy to weight ratio than A123 nanophosphate.
quite correct!

even though lithium iron phosphate chemistry is much more stable than lithium cobalt. Voltage requirements of existing electronics dictate which chemistry will be compatible. lithium cobalt operates between 4.2v fully charged to 3.0v dead. very little energy remains below 3.25v.

a lithium cobalt battery made from four cells x 4.2v = 16.8v fully charged to 13v dead or not compatible with a motorcycle's electronics.

lithium cobalt will be with us for many more years. greatest danger with lithium cobalt occurs during charging. here's a blast from the past..... a detailed article on that topic, I wrote back in 2007 on Candlepower Forums (thread ended up 116 pages) http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ng-re-charging

battery packs from name brand electronics with lithium cobalt will usually contain protection circuitry. due to higher energy densities and voltage requirements of existing gear. Lots of RC folks are still flying with lithium cobalt li-po packs. generally they understand the dangers and are using sophisticated chargers with balancing circuits, charging at limits their li-po packs can withstand.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 07:26 AM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #62
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Shorai / AntiGravity

CY, Any chance of testing the AntiGravity batteries also? I've been on the fence between the Shorai / AntiGravity for my 950 SE and would love to see a REAL comparison between the two.

Rajin
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #63
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,230
Having installed an EVO 2 in my bike I can attest that it happens just as the video says. When it is only cool (say 30-35) I can usually get by with turning the high beam on for 15-20 seconds. Below 30, a "first try" is sometimes necessary. Let is sit for 30 seconds or so and she starts right up.

RC Pilot screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 10:57 AM
RC Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #64
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
quite correct!

even though lithium iron phosphate chemistry is much more stable than lithium cobalt. Voltage requirements of existing electronics dictate which chemistry will be compatible. lithium cobalt operates between 4.2v fully charged to 3.0v dead. very little energy remains below 3.25v.

a lithium cobalt battery made from four cells x 4.2v = 16.8v fully charged to 13v dead or not compatible with a motorcycle's electronics.

lithium cobalt will be with us for many more years. greatest danger with lithium cobalt occurs during charging. here's a blast from the past..... a detailed article on that topic, I wrote back in 2007 on Candlepower Forums (thread ended up 116 pages) http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ng-re-charging

battery packs from name brand electronics with lithium cobalt will usually contain protection circuitry. due to higher energy densities and voltage requirements of existing gear. Lots of RC folks are still flying with lithium cobalt li-po packs. generally they understand the dangers and are using sophisticated chargers with balancing circuits, charging at limits their li-po packs can withstand.
What did you mean when you commented that portable devices are using A123 chemistry? I'm pretty sure they don't. The A123 chemistry doesn't have the capacity.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:00 AM   #65
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What did you mean when you commented that portable devices are using A123 chemistry? I'm pretty sure they don't. The A123 chemistry doesn't have the capacity.
think iphone4 which contains a li-po battery with lithium iron phosphate chemistry. it's not been that long ago since Sony was in the news for their laptops catching on fire. the same for Apple for some of their devices catching on fire. back then 18650 lithium cobalt cells were most produced of all li-ion cells. that title now belongs to A123 type 26650 cells in li-ion power tools.

increasing capacity and number of cycles are some of the advances for lithium iron phosphate cells.
they still don't have energy density of lithium cobalt, but some pretty amazing advances have been made. the safety advantage means saving $$$ from lawsuits resulting from li-ion fires/explosions.

A123 was the original mfg of lithium iron phosphate chemistry, which was discovered at a Texas university research lab. but A123 was the first one to take that chemistry into real life production. Dewalt and Milwaukee were the first to offer li-ion battery powered tools. the cells used was A123 26650 ... since then LOTS of other mfg have gone on to make their own version of A123 cells.

li-ion batteries is a technology that constantly evolving. with a slew of different chemistry. lithium magnesium and lithium yttrium power LiFeYPO4 are but two more chemistry that's evolved to advance li-ion cells.

notice I've been writing out lithium iron phosphate (a pita) instead of using abbreviations. reason is there's sooo many variations used by different vendors. it gets down right confusing.

--------------------------------------
here's the first test using Shorai 18AH (pb eq) 13.90v resting voltage, 56f degree inside garage. 67 amp draw.... As expected Shorai turned over motor strong, started R80G/S immediately with no issues. hopefully the weather will turn cold so we can see what happens then.

it bears mentioning Shorai has really done their homework providing an assortment of foam pads. this made installing a Shorai battery securely a breeze.

enough posting... off for a ride!!!

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 10:29 AM
Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #66
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

So far as I know, the A123 nano phosphate chemistry is the only type that is okay with 30C discharges.

Do any of the batteries you are testing have inboard management circuitry?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #67
RC Pilot
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,230
Quote:
So far as I know, the A123 nano phosphate chemistry is the only type that is okay with 30C discharges.
Pleany of Lipo batteries are good for way beyond 30C. I am running 40C lipos in some of my RC cars and batteries of 150C are available. http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-3250-74-Pack.htm
Old 02-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #68
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Pleany of Lipo batteries are good for way beyond 30C. I am running 40C lipos in some of my RC cars and batteries of 150C are available. http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-3250-74-Pack.htm
Yes, that is the advantage of Lipo as well as energy density. A123 is LiFePo. Different chemistry.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:33 PM   #69
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
i like Yuasa AGM batteries .They're not cheap but I learned my lesson on cheap replacement batteries with same part#
Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #70
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, that is the advantage of Lipo as well as energy density. A123 is LiFePo. Different chemistry.
li-po stands for lithium polymer, which is referring to how cells are constructed using gel polymer electrolyte without a hard casing inside a pouch. Li-po batteries can be built with lithium cobalt or lithium iron phosphate chemistry.

here's a clip of li-po (lithium cobalt) catching fire and exploding. lithium iron phosphate batteries can still overheat and puff up. but will not go into thermal runaway and explode.

All li-ion cells have very low internal resistance and will discharge at very high rates. this is why CCA ratings for li-ion cells means little. what's more important is how those same cells perform when cold. note this is when higher AH batteries have an advantage. necessary pre-heat cycles consumes energy.

A battery constructed with 4x A123 26650 cells has rating of 2.3AH ...during warm weather this little powerhouse will discharge at very high amp rates. and will deliver amazing performance.

_cy_ screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 02:53 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #71
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
li-po stands for lithium polymer, which is referring to how cells are constructed without a hard casing. Li-po batteries can be built with lithium cobalt or lithium iron phosphate chemistry.
I can't find any reference to a commercial LiFePo chemistry Li-Po. Just some research abstracts.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #72
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I can't find any reference to a commercial LiFePo chemistry Li-Po. Just some research abstracts.
Arrrggghhhh... weather is not cooperating .. low for tonight in Tulsa 39f degree. Shorai LFX21 AH (pb eq) is mounted on R80G/S and is working great. not much of a challenge starting above 40f degrees.

-----------------

yup... terms gets thrown around, so can get quite confusing. now lets throw one more term into the pot, that is used interchangeably. prismatic cells.

lithium-ion batteries can contain arrays of cylindrical cells to make-up a battery pack such as Ballistic Batteries. Li-Po battery packs contain lithium polymer electrolyte inside polymer pouches. which are also called prismatic cells. An example is Shorai which contains 4 x prismatic cells inside a battery case.

here's a pic of a 3.7v x2 cell lithium polymer battery

here's a pic of a 3.1v A123 prismatic cell, which also happens to be inside a polymer pouch
which makes this prismatic cell also a li-po battery. note prismatic cells can also be contained in other type containers. like the 20AH test battery with four rectangular plastic cells.

this 20 AH (actual) battery uses four prismatic cells

20 AH (actual) with balance circuitry (shunt) .. removed, circuits scrubbed off an estimated 10% of total AH capacity. carefully tracked individual cells through many charge/discharge cycles. voltages remain very close, even after heavy discharge cycles.

charging with HP regulated power supply set to terminal at exactly 14.4v or 3.6v when charging single cell.

_cy_ screwed with this post 03-24-2012 at 05:18 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #73
Antigravity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajin Cajun View Post
CY, Any chance of testing the AntiGravity batteries also? I've been on the fence between the Shorai / AntiGravity for my 950 SE and would love to see a REAL comparison between the two.

Rajin
Hi Rajin, I'm glad your are considering us I own Antigravity. In regards to Shorai and us we feel there is big difference, but last time I spoke of the warranty difference I got flamed for bashing them... but it was facts... so I will try to respect the sensitivity of other and if you have any questions about us just shoot me an email at scott@antigravitybatteries.com and I will be completely honest with no fluff or bologny.

I'll explain some of my thoughts on batteries in another post... I actually was contacted by Cy to check the thread out...a lot of good info in it...

The smallest, lightest and most POWERFUL batteries
Antigravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #74
Rajin Cajun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigravity View Post
Hi Rajin, I'm glad your are considering us I own Antigravity. In regards to Shorai and us we feel there is big difference, but last time I spoke of the warranty difference I got flamed for bashing them... but it was facts... so I will try to respect the sensitivity of other and if you have any questions about us just shoot me an email at scott@antigravitybatteries.com and I will be completely honest with no fluff or bologny.

I'll explain some of my thoughts on batteries in another post... I actually was contacted by Cy to check the thread out...a lot of good info in it...
Thanks for the reply Scott! I'm in the market for 4 batteries. ( One for my KTM 950 SE, Ducati 998R & 999R, and One for my Aprilia RSVR Factory ) I'm looking for something light but powerful enough to crank over some big twins so I will definitely contact you!

Sorry to threadjack Cy...
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #75
_cy_ OP
Beastly Adventurer

@ Antigravity ... thanks for dropping by ... was a pleasure speaking with you yesterday.

Yup LOTS of information laid out so far ... certainly one of the most detailed set of tests done on li-ion motorcycle batteries anywhere on the WWW.

very much trying to provide lab quality results by tracking variables that specifically effects li-ion cell's performance. especially real life cold weather performance.

discharge tests using load testers are a good indicator of performance, but have limited value in the real world. what really counts is will this ultra light/powerful battery start my bike up when it's winter outside?

----------------------