Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #241
datada3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Laugh update on xt/tt carb install

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
The XT 600 carb will work on your TT600. Get a work shop manural for your bike. Get the stock air box too. K+N pod filters will need rejet too. The jets in the xt carb are not the same in the TT carb. If you have the carb clean it will work on your TT 600 .Run a Uni-filter too. Foam. Good luck! Thump-On!!

So installed a 86xt600 carb on my 85tt600...... Thx for all the
Info everyone. The bike starts right up now, idles great, performs awesome. After installing the carb I realized I needed a new throttle (twist/pull) type so I got that. Like I said the carb worked wonders with no instalation or performance hiccups. I even located the stock airbox for it. Ebay, Craigslist, and my local part store I've pretty much found everything I need and continue to need. My new prob is I've got 2 oil leaks one will be fixed today which is a relatively easy fix. The other is the threads on one of my oil filter screws (case side) are stripped and gone completely. So I've filled the hole with jbweld and its been curing all week I will drill and tap it tomorrow. (Helicoil did not work) Hopefully it will be as good as it is stock. (Fingers crossed) if not I will have to figure something else out. Like I said the bike runs great and I can't wait to really get out for a day on the trails. I just need to get everything dialed in. I will keep ya posted. Btw Thx for the skid plate info I will invest in one of those after I get all my mech probs out of the way. Thump On Thumpers!!!!
datada3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #242
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,132
You could go for an alloy street sign bashplate but you need the frame rails to support it.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #243
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
Does an XT skid plate fit on the TTs?
The XT skid plate, bolts up with 4 bolts on the bottom of the skid plate. And in the front it bolts with one bolt. So, to put the the XT plate on the TT you will need the front motor mount off a XT bike. Good Luck! Thump-On!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #244
datada3
Adventurer

Pissed Help!!! my leg is tired of kicking.....

85 tt600...... It was dead when I found it. Bought rebuilt stock carb, fired right up. Located stock air cleaner tubes installed uni boots at ends of air cleaner tube. Installed crankcase breather filter at end of breather tube where its suppose to go into air box. Ran fine, found about 17 oil leaks, located new stator cover, replaced gaskets on either side of crankcase, replaced oil tank, drilled out stripped crankcase threads for crsnkcase cover inserted thread inserts. All but one oil leak is now fixed. Now bike doesn't want to fire up by kicking. It use to. It will pull start at about 20 behind a truck. After started it seems to run.... I've got a little white smoke out of my exhaust, but I'm not to concerned about that. Main concern though my crankcase breather tube seems to be spitting a lot of oil and A LOT of white smoke that smells really rich. After I run it hard for about 5 minutes the breather tube @ filter starts hissing really loud spitting a shitload of oil then the bike dies out about 20 seconds after hissing begins........ Is my carb out of adjustment, do I have plugged oil jackets, is just a matter of a stock air box???? Im just lost now.... Please any advice is appreciated.
Thx
Dan

datada3 screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 02:16 PM
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #245
JensEskildsen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
White/gray-ish smoke is usually oilburning.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #246
datada3
Adventurer

Wink re:: help my leg is tired.

I pulled stator cover so I can replace, because its cracked. Upon doing so I leaned my bike over to see if I had oil in the crankcase. Low and behold a bunch of gas decided to pour out of my crankcase along with the oil. I think that's the answer to my white smoke issue. Also I found a small washer magnatized to my magneto. But would either of those still make my bike die out after it warms up??? Or make it hard to start??? Unfortunately I have to wait for a new stator cover in the mail before I can try to start it again. BTW what's the best way to flush my oil sytem??
Thx
Dan

Ps the gas was my fault I had the bike on its side for a period of time (so as to not mis diagnose a problem).
Old 03-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #247
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
just drain the oil tank, filter , check to see if your air box has the same problem ,refill and run it to past full warm, leave the oil cap off to evaporate the last bit of fuel after you park it. smell your oil for fuel before the next run and decide if you are successful or just do it again.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #248
rolosapiens
Rolosapiens

Oddometer: 6
!984 TT600 project

If any TT600 lover will like to start a 1984 project I have a 1984 waiting . please contact me ,
Thnaks
rolosapiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #249
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolosapiens View Post
If any TT600 lover will like to start a 1984 project I have a 1984 waiting . please contact me ,
Thnaks
To bad you are out on the "left" coast! I am on the right coast !!!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #250
datada3
Adventurer

Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
just drain the oil tank, filter , check to see if your air box has the same problem ,refill and run it to past full warm, leave the oil cap off to evaporate the last bit of fuel after you park it. smell your oil for fuel before the next run and decide if you are successful or just do it again.
1985 tt600 I tried draining all oil and replaced guess I should check again and see if gas is in oil now. Bike still wouldn't start, I pulled it at about twenty and bumped it, after a lot of pulling it started, but immediately a lot of white smoke and a horrible hissing sound out of crankcase breather tube then it died. One thing I noticed is when I use to kick it over, every 3rd kick was really hard and i have to slowly push through that one and the next kick would usually start it. But now every kick is the same I don't get that same toughness every 3rd kick. Could I have a timing issue, if so how do I adjust? I think my stator is working ive got spark and my light lights up everytime I kick through. I've gone through my carby a couple times it seems to be okay. So it leaves me to believe, timing, piston, or rings?????? I don't get it. 1 month ago it ran fine it started right up then a bunch of white smoke came out of breather tube with a hissing sound and it died out. I laid it down for 2 weeks at about a 45 degree angle so it wouldnt leak oil as I was waiting for my stator cover to be welded. I put cover back on and now it wont start aside from bumping it. But when it does the symptoms are stated above. Originally I thought it was cuz I laid it down and gas got in my crankcase, but now I'm beginning to think differant..... Again, timing(please), piston, rings, or carby(please). Of course any input would be great. Thx,
Dan

datada3 screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 10:59 AM
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #251
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
put a bit of oil into the cylinder and kick it a few times with the plug out,should feel a better resistance if the rings were not previously sealed, put a fresh-good plug in a see if that will work.you may want to have the gas off the first time or two.have you checked the static compression? 8.5:1 is about 120-125 psi
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #252
datada3
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
put a bit of oil into the cylinder and kick it a few times with the plug out,should feel a better resistance if the rings were not previously sealed, put a fresh-good plug in a see if that will work.you may want to have the gas off the first time or two.have you checked the static compression? 8.5:1 is about 120-125 psi
Am I mistaken or did you just tell me to pour oil down my spark plug hole???? That doesn't seem smart to me sounds like a lot of cleaning afterwards???? And how much is a "bit". Tried a new plug last week... No dice... :( need to get a compression tester....
Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #253
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by datada3 View Post
Am I mistaken or did you just tell me to pour oil down my spark plug hole???? That doesn't seem smart to me sounds like a lot of cleaning afterwards???? And how much is a "bit". Tried a new plug last week... No dice... :( need to get a compression tester....
Just a drop of oil. Not a quart of oil And the new plug will burn the oil up. Do you have "new" gas in your tank?
Big Ed XT+TT 600 FAN!!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #254
datada3
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Just a drop of oil. Not a quart of oil And the new plug will burn the oil up. Do you have "new" gas in your tank?
Big Ed XT+TT 600 FAN!!
Gotcha on the oil, and yeah my gas is good in the tank. What does the oil do? Ps how do I adjust my timing, and does this bike have points???
Old 04-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #255
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by datada3 View Post
Gotcha on the oil, and yeah my gas is good in the tank. What does the oil do? Ps how do I adjust my timing, and does this bike have points???
The oil will help the rings seal and bring the compression up for a short time if the ring seal is going bad. Timing is non-adjustable. It is electronically controlled in the CDI. No points.
These bikes do have a bit of a reputation for the CDI units going bad.