ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Oz and Kiwi Land
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #16
EddieZero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Just got the North American lifetime updates through Amazon for 64 and some change. Called Garmin and asked them about the savings prior to ordering, as I did not want to be involved in anything not above board. The rep said to look for the new ones(which I knew) but also only order from companies that say fulfillment by Amazon. Now if it was not obvious make sure they are an authorized Garmin dealer, which it will also say on the site. I didn't save a bunch but 25-30 bucks is something. I do not know if they have any deals on the AU updates but it can't hurt to look. I have a Road Tech 660 and Harley started giving away free lifetime updates and least here locally about a month after I bought mine

EddieZero screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 05:25 AM
EddieZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
Black7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
As a simple note, updating annually is a flat waste of money. The updates are AT LEAST 2 to 3 years behind anyway. There is a newer highway where I live that didn't get on the map the entire 6 years I owned my first Garmin. I'm on my second Garmin now with lifetime updates and I haven't checked if its there now, but I'm not holding my breath. You only get 2 annual updates max anyway no matter how many updates they publish. Its not a good update system at all and the very reason I go to the cheap NUVI models and not the super expensive moto oriented versions.

Updating once every 3 or 4 years is sufficient although for trails, I honestly can't say if that still holds true or not. Highway wise however, I'd replace it before I'd pay to update it even for the $500 models.

That said, I am a Garmin fan and find they tend to be as accurate as one could expect. Not perfect, but not bad either,...even a couple years out of date.

Black7 screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 08:10 AM
Black7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
If I put a US address in the online checkout I can get it for $159 US$ =$148AUD
As soon as I indicate I'm in Australia they want $189AUD, that's currently $202USD.
Doesn't seem like good marketing but you wern't clear. Was it for same product just different "shipping" address? Are there possibly some trade agreements or Ausie terrifs?

I got put on Plavix which was $200/mo in US but something like $50 in Canada! Not a product you can boycott.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #19
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7 View Post
As a simple note, updating annually is a flat waste of money. The updates are AT LEAST 2 to 3 years behind anyway. There is a newer highway where I live that didn't get on the map the entire 6 years I owned my first Garmin. .
+1

The only people who really need updates are in construction and looking for address in new subdivision however with the housing crash, there are no new subdivisions and most contractors already had their trucks repoed.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black7 View Post
As a simple note, updating annually is a flat waste of money. The updates are AT LEAST 2 to 3 years behind anyway. There is a newer highway where I live that didn't get on the map the entire 6 years I owned my first Garmin.
Did you go on to the Garmin Report Map Error site and upload a track of that road to let them know that Road is there now? I used that site to let Navteq and Garmin know that there is a new road near me (the Private entry road to housing development). It was in two updates later. I also make note of incorrect POI's (usually in the wrong place) and just upload the GPX file with the correct waypoints in them.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
It's not fair to directly compare map or update pricing for different countries as I suspect the cost of obtaining the data varies. Most countries subsidize private cartography to varying degrees.

The cost of a product is also be dependent on the sales volume.

Obviously if the cost to produce is higher and/or the sales volume is less the price of the final product must be higher.

Don't like the price of Garmins products, then spend your money elsewhere.

Bruce

mcnut screwed with this post 02-16-2012 at 03:51 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
+1

The only people who really need updates are in construction and looking for address in new subdivision however with the housing crash, there are no new subdivisions and most contractors already had their trucks repoed.

A poor attempt at humor no doubt.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
Black7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
No I haven't. Didn't know that was an option. Thats good info. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Did you go on to the Garmin Report Map Error site and upload a track of that road to let them know that Road is there now? I used that site to let Navteq and Garmin know that there is a new road near me (the Private entry road to housing development). It was in two updates later. I also make note of incorrect POI's (usually in the wrong place) and just upload the GPX file with the correct waypoints in them.

Cheers,
Black7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
PBee OP

Oddometer: 8,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzag View Post
Hey PBee Where did your mate buy the zumo 660 with lifetime maps included?... im thinking of buying one.

Yep. All included & he is a very happy camper.

The 660 is a good bit of kit & I'm happy with mine, I got it in '09 so I have to pay more.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,867
I do wonder how Garmin and their suppliers comes up with the pricing of GPS units, original map purchases, and lifetime updates.

I have a Nuvi for the car. Cost me $189 for a decent widescreen with lifetime map and traffic updates.

My 376c cost me about $1,000 when I purchased it originally with CityNavigator, etc. And that was 6 years ago, now. After that, I bought an original version of City Nav NT on DVD for about $115, maybe 3 years go. And then the lifetime map updates for about $89.

My 60CsX was about $200, and then the same prices for City Nav NT license and lifetime updates as with the 376.

While I realize for moto touring I don't have to update so frequently, I do use the 376 and 60 in the car auto routing some times, and it helps to have current data in the U.S., especially around big cities.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Navteq Australian Maps - Grrrrrrr!

I recently acquired a 665LM which of course comes standard with the North American Maps. I immediately purchased Australian maps (Navteq) for $150.00 and set to work using them in Melbourne, my home town. (Next week I head out into the country, I hope it will be an improvement on my current experience.)

For context, I know Melbourne extremely well and also have a Tomtom in the car. The Tomtom is set to selecting the fastest route and it does so unerringly. The Zumo is likewise set to the fastest route and it is b.f. hopeless. (Sorry for the profanity). I have followed its instructions on many occasions just to give the thing another chance, but it avoids freeways like the plague and sends me down roads that Tomtom would never dream of.

The craziest incident was coming home one afternoon I decided to go half left instead of going around the bend (no pun intended). Now this is within 400 metres of home. I got the recalculation and instead of saying 'Turn Right in 300 metres' (and then I would be home) it took me ACROSS the road in which I live, with instructions to turn first left, first left and first left again. So the idiotic map took me around a block, instead of a simple right turn.

I called Garmin (after three tries over two days and over an hour on hold I got through) and they could not help me. The young pup said to me 'But it got you there in the end'.

Does anyone know of another map of Australia I can download? I have sent an email to Whereis, but I am not hopeful.....
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
but it avoids freeways like the plague and sends me down roads that Tomtom would never dream of.
What are the settings in your routing preferences and avoidances?

Sounds like it is set to avoid freeways.

dunno.....
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #28
duncanmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
What are the settings in your routing preferences and avoidances?

Sounds like it is set to avoid freeways.
I have selected 'Fastest Route' and unchecked all avoidances. Is there a setting to avoid freeways? I know there is on my Tomtom, but have not seen it on the Zumo.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #29
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
I have selected 'Fastest Route' and unchecked all avoidances. Is there a setting to avoid freeways? I know there is on my Tomtom, but have not seen it on the Zumo.
That should do it.

I'd load the maps up into Mapsource or Basecamp and see how they autoroute there. If the problem persists, Garmin's site has a place to report problems.

Just to be clear though - which Garmin map data did you purchase?

dunno.....