Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #1321
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Maybe we should get you to do a thread on the first-aid kit sometime, if you've done a lot of work on it like you have with the toolkit. :)
So much of what i've seen is more orientated to band-aids for little cuts, not the kind of injuries you might want to attend to in the bike context. Basically, i don't see the type of wound dressings that would be good for bike crash wounds - big enough. I suppose some of the military stuff would be suitable but i haven't seen enough of it to know what to get.

It's been done well before here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Think there are already a few good first-aid threads on here. Remember there was no shortage of info out there when I was putting mine together.
...correct/agree.

I mostly carry basic stuff for small cuts and abrasions, too...and of course all the pharmaceuticals I listed, just for delaying symptoms and getting to a safer place to rest and get treatment. As far as large/bleeding wound dressings and the like, there are some pretty amazing solutions out there but many are large and heavy so I have never carried them on the bike or on my person either.

When I have had to deal with people with broken bones, we've always managed to make a splint out of available stuff on site - branches of trees, plastic fenders cut into strips, sacrificed elbowpad plastic for a broken wrist, etc. I have never been in a situation where I needed to make a stretcher, but carrying some nylon line or strap could make this possible with any sort of trees available, etc.
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #1322
Kinsman
Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer: 3,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
carrying some nylon line or strap
I carry both: paracord and nylon webbing.
Great maids-of-all-work: for rigging a tarp, bear-bagging food, making lashings, repairing gear, splints...lots of stuff.

Schreckendgust Field
Florence, MT

Kinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #1323
hilslamer OP
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsman View Post
I carry both: paracord and nylon webbing.
Great maids-of-all-work: for rigging a tarp, bear-bagging food, making lashings, repairing gear, splints...lots of stuff.
I have seen these put to use quite nicely:
http://www.survivalstraps.com/
...if I were to ever design a garment, I think I would incorporate something similar. It's actually not hard to do yourself, just tedious...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #1324
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
...if I were to ever design a garment
Maybe something like this?

Or this?

jesusgatos screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 03:16 PM
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #1325
2upAussie990
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
lots of good info here guys, thanks
2upAussie990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #1326
STisma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Found these..... seem usefull

Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #1327
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Is there such thing as the 'best' multi tool leatherman style dealio? I rarely need much on the trail, and I am tired of carrying all these heavy combo screwdrivers and full sized wrenches, pliers, etc.
S H I F T Y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #1328
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch DeBeer View Post
Is there such thing as the 'best' multi tool leatherman style dealio? I rarely need much on the trail, and I am tired of carrying all these heavy combo screwdrivers and full sized wrenches, pliers, etc.
Good question. I have five bikes and do not carry full tools on all of them. My minimum took kit is an M-14 Multitool, a Leatherman Crunch, and a tire repair kit which differs between bikes with and without tubes. You might be surprised how much you can do with just that.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #1329
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch DeBeer View Post
--edit--
Guess I should keep up with this thread, rather than reading it ever month or so.

The Motion Pro tool discussed in detail in this thread is designed exactly for what you describe. But you should tailor it to your bike, like add the torx / allens / sockets, what ever you bike needs. Personally I don't find the leatherman style tools useful at all for a bike, except for a compact set of pliers, that's all they are really good for.

Sheep Shagger screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 08:02 AM
Sheep Shagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #1330
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Wasn't there a four or five page saga a few weeks ago of how this Motion Pro tool failed in the field? The socket driver spun uselessly in the handle.

edit: found it, Team FTB posted this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1280 and then many followups. Bottom line, the tool is crap.

JT screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 12:28 PM
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #1331
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 1,939
Here's my basic kit, still need to add some things, but I don't see a need to way over complicate things. My KLR didn't come with a stock kit.

On the right side, I have the tractor manual tube held on with 2 stainless clamps.

Stashed inside I have:

1) Lineman's pliers: pliers, cutters, and work well as a hammer
2)Small flat screwdriver with magnet on the handle side
3)Needle nose vice grip
4)Combo wrench, fits both front and rear axle
5)1/4" drive ratchet
6)Socket assortment, modified to remove sizes that the bike doesn't have and added a 1/4" to fit driver bits
7)Small needle nose
8)1/4" driver-doubles as extension for ratchet
9)Allen wrench in correct size to fit bars and forks
10)8,10,and 13mm wrenches
11) Big crescent wrench

I'm going to replace the driver and 1/4" ratchet with a 1/4" extension and use the 13mm wrench as a handle as soon as I make a 1/4" to 13mm adapter.

In the lid I have sand paper in 160 and 400 grit rolled around the edges and a cut off sock stuffed in with a selection of hose clamps and cotter pins.

Still need to locate a stamped spark plug socket

I relocated the stock bag from the rear fender to the front fender and in it I carry:

1)Spark plug caddy-one side is a plug, the other holds misc electrical crimp connectors
2)Motion Pro tire levers, not the fancy Ti ones, mainly because I ride a KLR....
3)Spare 21" tube w/core tool
4) Gutted cheapo tire pump. Paid 50 cents for it at a garage sale, works great. I have a 12V cig outlet on the bike, so with 2 alligator clips, the cord becomes a charger to revive other bike's batteries.

I still want to add a small patch kit up here.

I didn't pull it all out, but in the ammo can I have:

1) Cheap rain gear-neoprene face cover
2) Spare lenses for my goggles
3)Harbor freight ratchet strap -tow strap or to hang the bike(or myself depending on the severity of the failure) from a tree
4)14 Ga wire double the length of the bike
5) Mechanics wire
6) zip ties in various sizes
7) Two short jumper wires
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #1332
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JThompson View Post
Wasn't there a four or five page saga a few weeks ago of how this Motion Pro tool failed in the field? The socket driver spun uselessly in the handle.

edit: found it, Team FTB posted this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1280 and then many followups. Bottom line, the tool is crap.
Totally disagree. If there was a pattern of failure then fair enough but that was the only one that was reported to have failed right ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #1333
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Totally disagree. If there was a pattern of failure then fair enough but that was the only one that was reported to have failed right ?
+1 the one reported on was crap. not enough evidence to say they all are.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1334
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
I'm the guy with the failed Motion Pro tool.

That tool is wonderful and compact, I never had any issues with the sockets, hex's or screwdrivers using the tool. It was simply the driver for the sockets is multiple pieces and the pieces began to spin instead of funtioning as one single piece. This sucked (and is horrific when you encounter the failing the piece in the field as I did instead of the garage) but I was able to fix it by welding, as detailed in the thread. My unit is now fixed and I worked with it in the garage for another couple weeks to test it out and then began taking it on rides again as its so wonderfully compact and it fits in a convenient pocket in the Camelbak for easy access. I posted in the thread so that people who own the piece can address any issues before taking it into the field.

One failed unit is indeed not enough to condemn the tool as Flagger pointed out, however according to tech at Motion Pro it has been reported to them more than a few times (as feared by Mercury264), and is not unheard of, so in my eyes you are a gambling man if you rely on this tool without addressing the potential issue I described earlier in the thread.

Here's the tool after I modified (welded solid) the driver, working on my drowned 525 on a river bank in Lao, pictured on the righthand rock

and another time in my left hand after removing the right side engine case.

If I owned a MP multi tool I WOULD NOT rely on it without welding the driver pieces together. Once welded, you can then once again enjoy the convenience the tool has to offer.

Edit: Just to clarify I don't think the tool is crap, it's just not trustworthy in my eyes until the potential weakness in the system (driver) is addressed.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #1335
Mike Ryder
Kriegerkuh

Oddometer: 861
hey, uhh. what's the white powder in the bags man?