Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
Dukeryder OP

Oddometer: 7,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware02 View Post
Didn't those cars have a Yamaha engine?
From what I've heard Yamaha Marine developed the Cylinder heads from scratch and built the bottom end based off of a Ford V-6. The manual gearbox is Mazda.

It is a great looking Engine.

Another forgotten Gem of the 90s was the SE-R.

Nissan has kept the SE-R badge or revivied it a while ago but the Original SE-R was a hell of a sport compact for its' day and quite the sleeper. You could squeak out a 0-60 in 6.9 with just a little tuning and they came stock with an LSD in the gearbox pretty much un-heard of in a factory FWD car at the time.

The tuner kids have all but destroyed most of the CRXs and other hot sport compacts of that time, but there still might be a clean one or 2 SE-Rs out there.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 07:14 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Dukeryder OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
I worked on the pit crew (12 and 24 hour races) for a team that ran a four car SHO team in the Firestone Firehawk series. They had sponsorship from Ford and the guy who created the teanage mutant ninja turtles. Each car was painted in the colors of each one of the four ninja turtles. We had quite a following with the kids.

The cars were not the fastest in class, but they did better on fuel than most of the otheres and were very reliable. They had a pretty good bark out of the race exhaust too.
Was the car team called "Team Mirage"?

A couple of guys a few years older than me from my home town raced Moto-Cross and one of the Ninja Turtle guys was their sponsor. Larry and Gerry never made it as career MX riders but they rode in the Nationals and even once in Belgium. I remember watching Dowd riding at their practice track when he was just coming up as a top 125cc rider. Team Mirage rode Kawi of course. iirc They sponsored a super bike road racing team too. The Ninja Turtle guys were also from our hometown. I worked in a resort owned by one of them while in High School.

Dukeryder screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 07:07 PM
Old 02-19-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

Nissan has kept the SE-R badge or revivied it a while ago but the Original SE-R was a hell of a sport compact for its' day and quite the sleeper. You could squeak out a 0-60 in 6.9 with just a little tuning and they came stock with an LSD in the gearbox pretty much un-heard of in a factory FWD car at the time.

The tuner kids have all but destroyed most of the CRXs and other hot sport compacts of that time, but there still might be a clean one or 2 SE-Rs out there.

My tuner kid dropped this stock 240 (before fauxtoe) so much that he gets hung up on spare change lying in the road. That's a fun little scoot. Forgiving car to wrench on.

"If I wanted someone to clean me up I'de find myself a maid"-Dawes
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
From what I've heard Yamaha Marine developed the Cylinder heads from scratch and built the bottom end based off of a Ford V-6. The manual gearbox is Mazda.

my neighbor's son had one built into a racecar for the FWD class at the dirt track, i think i was the only guy on the block who enjoyed him loading and unloading that thing, with NO exhaust it sounded like 4 sportbikes running at the same time!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Quote:
Was the car team called "Team Mirage"?

A couple of guys a few years older than me from my home town raced Moto-Cross and one of the Ninja Turtle guys was their sponsor. Larry and Gerry never made it as career MX riders but they rode in the Nationals and even once in Belgium. I remember watching Dowd riding at their practice track when he was just coming up as a top 125cc rider. Team Mirage rode Kawi of course. iirc They sponsored a super bike road racing team too. The Ninja Turtle guys were also from our hometown. I worked in a resort owned by one of them while in High School.

Woodstock Motorsports.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:

I bought a red one just like that brand new in 1992. It was a great car with very good performance (especially for a 4 banger). Red line was 7500 RPM, and my poor car lived there.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Dukeryder OP

Here's another one probably nobody remembers but it was the car that got Subaru into the forefront of Rally Racing the Legacy Turbo Sedan, the Impreza came out only a couple years later so it wasn't in the game for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobudo28 View Post
Woodstock Motorsports.
That's still cool that those turtle guys were involved with so many different types of racing! I never knew they sponsored an IMSA Firehawk race car too.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Honda crx Si...

mine lived for 21,000 miles on the race track.. we drove it to the races ...when we trailered the neon.

Ahh there you go NEON ACR cars... LOL we made 32k with one...
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
I always thought these VW Corrados were pretty nice.

My buddy had a G60 Corrado which had the supercharged four. Still one of my favourite cars I've ever driven. Another buddy had the SC Thunderbird. That was also a hoot.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:

When I first started with H-D I worked at their Florida proving grounds, FEC. The place used to be run by Ford and H-D leased to them during the winters. I had a 1989 SHO at the time.

One day I was sitting in the break room and a Ford guy came and sat next to me. He asked if the SHO in the lot was mine, then he proceeded to give me the whole history of the thing. He was the lead engineer on a project called GN34 that Roush was developing for Ford. It was basically a Ford Fiero. When Fiero sales began to tank, Ford pulled the plug. The problem was they'd already committed to buy the engines from Yamaha. He said they tried that engine in everything, Mustangs, Aerostars, Rangers, Merkurs, etc. The Taurus was tried because it was a huge seller for Ford and building a small run wouldn't hit the bottom line too bad. Then Nissan started pushing their 4DSC (4 door sports car) idea witht he Maxima and Ford marketing pushed for the Taurus.

At the time my car had 120K miles and the valve lash on the SHO engines needed to be adjusted every 60K. Ford had stopped selling the shims. He dug through his notes and found the Yamaha part number (from an FJ1200). The Yamaha dealer had them in stock.

GN34

A 90s favorite for me:

MR2 Turbo
Old 02-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
fuelish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
What is left of our cool nineties car. It was a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, DOHC, turbo, intercooled, five speed, LSD, ABS and heavy duty suspension. One of 1399 built, it only had 80,000 miles and not a single door ding. Unfortunately it was not up to a Camry making a left turn(Blind, across three lanes of oncoming traffic). My wife was driving, she broke her ankle and the steering column even tho the air bag went off. We want to rebuild it, with a donor Spirit.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #27
Dukeryder OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh View Post
When I first started with H-D I worked at their Florida proving grounds, FEC. The place used to be run by Ford and H-D leased to them during the winters. I had a 1989 SHO at the time.

One day I was sitting in the break room and a Ford guy came and sat next to me. He asked if the SHO in the lot was mine, then he proceeded to give me the whole history of the thing. He was the lead engineer on a project called GN34 that Roush was developing for Ford. It was basically a Ford Fiero. When Fiero sales began to tank, Ford pulled the plug. The problem was they'd already committed to buy the engines from Yamaha. He said they tried that engine in everything, Mustangs, Aerostars, Rangers, Merkurs, etc. The Taurus was tried because it was a huge seller for Ford and building a small run wouldn't hit the bottom line too bad. Then Nissan started pushing their 4DSC (4 door sports car) idea witht he Maxima and Ford marketing pushed for the Taurus.

At the time my car had 120K miles and the valve lash on the SHO engines needed to be adjusted every 60K. Ford had stopped selling the shims. He dug through his notes and found the Yamaha part number (from an FJ1200). The Yamaha dealer had them in stock.

GN34

A 90s favorite for me:

MR2 Turbo
[IMG]http://ettenw.org/cars/My-Cars/MyCars/1993%20Toyota%20MR2%20Turbo.JPG]

Ford should've made that instead of the Probe!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #28
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,856
I am a RWD fan so my nominations would have to go into that camp

Lincoln Continental Mark 8

Last of the RWD Volvos...The V90. Either with the turbo 4 or an LS1 swap
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #29
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:

That was my buddy's sleeper. It was pretty damn impressive for a daily driver. His baby, though...was the 3rd gen RX7...

DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #30
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelish View Post
What is left of our cool nineties car. It was a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, DOHC, turbo, intercooled, five speed, LSD, ABS and heavy duty suspension. One of 1399 built, it only had 80,000 miles and not a single door ding. Unfortunately it was not up to a Camry making a left turn(Blind, across three lanes of oncoming traffic). My wife was driving, she broke her ankle and the steering column even tho the air bag went off. We want to rebuild it, with a donor Spirit.
You've got your work cut out for you! That's got a lot of structural damage.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: