Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
PM sent
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #122
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,321
FYI! When you have a solid container in the bag, and you go down, the solid bottom edges do not give way. This happened to me. It did cause a little tear in the bag. The flexiability is a big benefit if you crash with these bags. I will NOT be placing the containers in my bags for anything but around town/ highway cruising after what I learned.

fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #123
Bonsai Elephant
Banned

Oddometer: 18,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Elephant View Post
...Wolfman might find it worth their while to either change their product or explain why it's done that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
Hi Guys
Eric with Wolfman.
I am really liking this discussion about the "Wings" as we call them.
I can talk about the purpose etc. and the design behind them if you wish. They are a bit fussy, I find using the EX-T Stuff never give me an issue.
The design of the wings is to allow the bags to expand and contract depending on the load so the load can be compressed and stabilized when mounted to the racks. If a ridged non-flexible liner is put in the load will never be tight unless the bags are stuffed full. Since these are Radio Frequency Welded their are no real good places to attach the "Wings" inside the bags. Also the lie flat so our shipping is less -Especially for export. So I decided to "Float the Liners. I am looking into a White or Natural plastic for internal visability.
that is the design behind the wings.
I like where this is going though. I really like suggestions.
PM me any time I'll try to respond in a timely manner, I do get busy.
Thank You

Eric/Wolfy
Hi Eric.

Excellent explanation, thanks for taking the time to lay out the design rationale for us, it all makes sense now!

Bonsai Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #124
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
Has anyone used these with rotopacks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup.

So far just one weekend trip, work excellent.

These pics were taken on a 60 mile shakedown run right after I got everything bolted up, the weekend before I took off for Death Valley.

Just make sure you read the instructions all the way through first!

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #125
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post

Yup.

So far just one weekend trip, work excellent.

These pics were taken on a 60 mile shakedown run right after I got everything bolted up, the weekend before I took off for Death Valley.

Just make sure you read the instructions all the way through first!

Thanks
CA Stu
nice set up you've got there!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #126
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by high dangler View Post
nice set up you've got there!
Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #127
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,792
I bought the Sterilite garbage cans to use as liners for my trip on the Trans Lab and to Newfoundland two years ago and had no troubles. I had the medium rear duffle and the nylon tank panniers but they would fill with an inch of water and it'd be there two days later. Sold them and now I need the black Expedition panniers (which I think they don't make any more?)

Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #128
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 474
super set up

Stu, When did you get the 950 se??
Nice bags etc.
Thanks for the support!!
Woof
e
wolfmanluggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #129
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

We have a Waterproof Tank Pannier option.....

Dan,
Check out the New 2012 Large Rolie Bags they can be used as Tank Panniers. Its an easier set up than before. Two Large Rolies and a strap Kit = Waterproof Tank Panniers. They are the same size as the old /Discontinued Dry Tank Panniers.
Linky: http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Rolie/...nniers_lg.html

Woof

eric
Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #130
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,792
Ah, those look great. Thanks

Will a water bottle holder attach to the outside .. would be a nice spot to keep a drink handy.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #131
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I've used the wolfman expedition dry bags for about 25,000 miles. The TAT, Baja MX, MX & Central America, and down to Chile/ARG.

Never had an issue with them. Great bags. Totally waterproof and super durable. I went down....well, more times than I can count on rocks, dirt, sand, pavement and the bags are still solid. In fact, the last time I went down was at a good clip in Bolivia. The bike and I were on the ground with the right side sliding along the ground, until something caught and spun the bike and threw me off. When I stood the bike up, the Wolfman bag was fine - the rack is what gave!

One thing I would like to see are detachable one liter bottle holders. Dirtbags (from downunder) have these nifty little carrying pouches on the sides of their bags. I would like the option to purchase external pouches that could be attached to the strapping on the wolfman bags. At least big enough to hold Nalgene 1L bottles. With drawstrings at the top to hold in bottles such as wine bottles. 4 of those would hold extra water, a bottle of wine, and a liter of oil. what more can one need?
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #132
wolfmanluggage
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Ah, those look great. Thanks

Will a water bottle holder attach to the outside .. would be a nice spot to keep a drink handy.
Yes!!

e
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #133
sonoran
null device

Oddometer: 22,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanluggage View Post
Hi Guys
Eric with Wolfman.
I am really liking this discussion about the "Wings" as we call them.
I can talk about the purpose etc. and the design behind them if you wish. They are a bit fussy, I find using the EX-T Stuff never give me an issue.
The design of the wings is to allow the bags to expand and contract depending on the load so the load can be compressed and stabilized when mounted to the racks. If a ridged non-flexible liner is put in the load will never be tight unless the bags are stuffed full. Since these are Radio Frequency Welded their are no real good places to attach the "Wings" inside the bags. Also the lie flat so our shipping is less -Especially for export. So I decided to "Float the Liners. I am looking into a White or Natural plastic for internal visability.
that is the design behind the wings.
I like where this is going though. I really like suggestions.
PM me any time I'll try to respond in a timely manner, I do get busy.
Thank You

Eric/Wolfy

Thanks much for the explanation of the design. What I found to be annoying is that the wings would curl up and it made getting gear (especially bullkier items) into the bag a PIA. Perhaps the wings could be secured somehow internally.. either with a pocket of some sort or maybe even velcro?
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #134
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerWV View Post
I've used the wolfman expedition dry bags for about 25,000 miles. The TAT, Baja MX, MX & Central America, and down to Chile/ARG.

Never had an issue with them. Great bags. Totally waterproof and super durable. I went down....well, more times than I can count on rocks, dirt, sand, pavement and the bags are still solid. In fact, the last time I went down was at a good clip in Bolivia. The bike and I were on the ground with the right side sliding along the ground, until something caught and spun the bike and threw me off. When I stood the bike up, the Wolfman bag was fine - the rack is what gave!

One thing I would like to see are detachable one liter bottle holders. Dirtbags (from downunder) have these nifty little carrying pouches on the sides of their bags. I would like the option to purchase external pouches that could be attached to the strapping on the wolfman bags. At least big enough to hold Nalgene 1L bottles. With drawstrings at the top to hold in bottles such as wine bottles. 4 of those would hold extra water, a bottle of wine, and a liter of oil. what more can one need?
Is this what you mean?
http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Access...e_holster.html
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #135
MountaineerWV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
....haha. Sure is. Must have been released after I purchased my saddle bags. Man those would have been handy!
US Army 2006-2011; Ansbach, Germany 2007-2011; Iraq 07-08 & 09-10
MountaineerWV is offline   Reply With Quote